143 eldx bullet test

No, that is great! The more data the better. As I was telling you earlier I think in flesh they will perform just fine. Especially at mid to long range..........Rich

that sure is interesting though, that they spit out the cores. I was under the impression that they used the interlock ring that the hunting bullets used to avoid this very occurrence. But, a lead slug penetrating and a copper jacket penetrating is still a good thing, hell they killed lots of buffalo with soft lead, these should be just fine. I've got mine running 2700 loaded mag length in a 260 rem. 46gr h4831sc and .5moa accuracy. can't ask for much more.

I don't understand why they didn't use there "interbond" technology. That along with the non melting tip would have persuaded me to be a bit more enthusiastic about them.

I don't understand why they didn't use there "interbond" technology. That along with the non melting tip would have persuaded me to be a bit more enthusiastic about them.

I really don't think they need bonding. If they did bond them, the cost would double too. TRY EM YOU'LL LIKE EM :D

I know they would be more expensive but, dang it, they would have been knocking on the door of the "perfect" bullet in my mind. Has Bryan Litz tested the bc on these yet?

I've shot a couple of the 143's into water jugs at 50 yards leaving the muzzle at 3531 & 3526 fps,
one thing for sure is they impressed me at how they performed, maybe the retained weight and shape of the recovered slug doesn't look like an A Frame or TSX but the "DRT" expansion was phenomenal, should be an excellent expanding bullet for big game at 500 yards and beyond at slower velocities where bullet blow up won't occur but positive expansion and penetration will be enhanced

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 111
I believe I've read in the ELD information that they didn't use the bonding process due to the inherent accuracy of the grooved jacket process. I guess they found that the groove is more consistent than the bond as far as accuracy and balance are concerned. seems like if it were that big of a deal the interbond, accubond and whatever other bonded bullet wouldn't fly worth a darn due to this "inconsistency" from the hornady press release.....

"Bonding a bullet's lead core and jacket together can be useful for hunting bullets at conventional ranges, but there are some drawbacks. Bonding requires a soft, pure-lead core and a thicker jacket. There are various bonding processes but the result is a soft bullet that is inconsistent in its long-range accuracy and terminal effects. Current bonding methods don't allow the kind of accuracy needed for extended range shooting. Case in point, there's a reason you don't see bonded match bullets."

I believe I've read in the ELD information that they didn't use the bonding process due to the inherent accuracy of the grooved jacket process. I guess they found that the groove is more consistent than the bond as far as accuracy and balance are concerned. seems like if it were that big of a deal the interbond, accubond and whatever other bonded bullet wouldn't fly worth a darn due to this "inconsistency" from the hornady press release.....

"Bonding a bullet's lead core and jacket together can be useful for hunting bullets at conventional ranges, but there are some drawbacks. Bonding requires a soft, pure-lead core and a thicker jacket. There are various bonding processes but the result is a soft bullet that is inconsistent in its long-range accuracy and terminal effects. Current bonding methods don't allow the kind of accuracy needed for extended range shooting. Case in point, there's a reason you don't see bonded match bullets."

After making my own bullets for several years and bonding the hunting bullets early on, I would have to agree with you! It is more important for a bullet to perform exactly the way you want at long range than close up (if you are a long range hunter) I always maintain if the animal is close and you can't place a bullet where you want it, you probably should not be hunting long range anyway. Bonding serves no purpose beyond 500 yards, and can even be a minus as you have stated. If you are hunting large bears close up, there may be a better choice but for most big game, I think the ELDX will be a GREAT bullet...........Rich

After making my own bullets for several years and bonding the hunting bullets early on, I would have to agree with you! It is more important for a bullet to perform exactly the way you want at long range than close up (if you are a long range hunter) I always maintain if the animal is close and you can't place a bullet where you want it, you probably should not be hunting long range anyway. Bonding serves no purpose beyond 500 yards, and can even be a minus as you have stated. If you are hunting large bears close up, there may be a better choice but for most big game, I think the ELDX will be a GREAT bullet...........Rich

x2, okay Rich your a good guy againgun)

I really think that they will be extremely difficult to beat all around! I ran some at 3302' out of my 26" barrel 6.5SS. That gives me 17.8 moa at 1000 yards!! I wouldn't run them there though because it would be to hard on my nice brass:D
Rich let's go shooting. What is your last name?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.