1425 yard whitetail

Wow!! You may have just set a record for a kill shot here in AR. Such opportunities are extremely limited. I'd love to learn from your expertise.:) Maybe you could give some of us Arkies a shooting clinic. OH yeah- GO HOGS!!!:D

Congrats again, I bet you were almost as excited as when we got that Bull a couple years ago!

Nice going, now you need to get me invited down there with my little 338 :cool:

Later,
AJ

Bravo 4, Congratulations on a great shot! Must have been all luck since you could not even hit my 1000 yard gong last time you were out...... Just kidding. LOL :D

Wow!! You may have just set a record for a kill shot here in AR. Such opportunities are extremely limited. I'd love to learn from your expertise.:) Maybe you could give some of us Arkies a shooting clinic. OH yeah- GO HOGS!!!:D

DanMan and ProfessorM,
Bravo 4 comes out and shoots at my place outside Searcy fairly often. My range goes out to a little over 1200 yards. Shoot me and or Bravo 4 a PM and maybe we can all get together and shoot at my place sometime. Where in AR are yall located?

Wow - great write up and shot. If you don't have anymore pics of the deer, give us some more pics along with specs on the rifle.

Also, since your confidence lulled for a moment, tell us more about the wind conditions. Always interested to hear how others deal with changing wind.

Bravo 4, Congratulations on a great shot! Must have been all luck since you could not even hit my 1000 yard gong last time you were out...... Just kidding. LOL :D

Cut me to the quick with that one, never took you for the type that couldn't keep a secret!:D

DanMan and ProfessorM,
Bravo 4 comes out and shoots at my place outside Searcy fairly often. My range goes out to a little over 1200 yards. Shoot me and or Bravo 4 a PM and maybe we can all get together and shoot at my place sometime. Where in AR are yall located?

That sounds like a good day of fun, if ya want I can come out and help clear the limbs away from your mile gong.

Wow - great write up and shot. If you don't have anymore pics of the deer, give us some more pics along with specs on the rifle.

Also, since your confidence lulled for a moment, tell us more about the wind conditions. Always interested to hear how others deal with changing wind.

I will see about another pic or two, maybe a frontal shot for Wildrose. My buddy had taken some whilest I went for the truck.
With all the debate over spin drift, coriolis and how to correct for them (along with the wind) I just think I took the easy way and took a sighter shot. I did figure on .4mils for spin drift, and at my location hidden in the trees I was getting a full value of 12mph per my wind meter. The forcast had called for 20mph winds and had been the same for three days. However, beeing in mountainous terrain and shooting across a valley it can always be different. The two days prior I had been pretty consistent until I shot at something over half way across the field. I think the wind was swirling in the corner as I couldn't hardly hit crap, always left or right. So I made the decision to impose the limit I did. What about the coriolis? These were the things I had been thinking about for those past few days. I was shooting due WEST. From all the reading I've done on the subject I think it should make the impact of my rounds strike a little low…??? It may have because my impacts were a little lower then what exbal told me. But then again, I don't trust those to be 100%. What I trusted was what I had confirmed already, even the wind.
So to answer your question about the wind, I had 4mils dialed in "left" to compensate for everything affecting the flight of my bullet at the time. And "cheated" with a sighter.
That's what the hesitation was all about.

I will see about another pic or two, maybe a frontal shot for Wildrose. My buddy had taken some whilest I went for the truck.
With all the debate over spin drift, coriolis and how to correct for them (along with the wind) I just think I took the easy way and took a sighter shot. I did figure on .4mils for spin drift, and at my location hidden in the trees I was getting a full value of 12mph per my wind meter. The forcast had called for 20mph winds and had been the same for three days. However, beeing in mountainous terrain and shooting across a valley it can always be different. The two days prior I had been pretty consistent until I shot at something over half way across the field. I think the wind was swirling in the corner as I couldn't hardly hit crap, always left or right. So I made the decision to impose the limit I did. What about the coriolis? These were the things I had been thinking about for those past few days. I was shooting due WEST. From all the reading I've done on the subject I think it should make the impact of my rounds strike a little low…??? It may have because my impacts were a little lower then what exbal told me. But then again, I don't trust those to be 100%. What I trusted was what I had confirmed already, even the wind.
So to answer your question about the wind, I had 4mils dialed in "left" to compensate for everything affecting the flight of my bullet at the time. And "cheated" with a sighter.
That's what the hesitation was all about.

Thanks for the additional info. Always glad to know I'm not alone in the slight anxiety caused when attempting a long shot. Here's some info I can offer, maybe it will help the next time you're ready to make another long shot....

For making a long shot like the one you took, once you have taken into consideration the atmospheric condition (temp, barometric pressure, altitude) there are five factors to consider. They are:

Elevation - ballistic program will provide this data.
Windage - ballistic program will also tell you how much windage compensation is required.
Coriolis - while I understand coriolis, I have never quite developed a formula for calculating it.
Spin Drift - with a right-twist barrel, it will cause your point of impact to move to the right. many ballistic programs can calculate spin drift.
Magnus Effect - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect when the bullet is spinning threw the air (assuming a right-twist), the air pressure on the right side of the bullet is lower than the left. As a result, with a 9 o'clock wind, the bullet will move down and to the right. With a 3 o'clock wind, it will move the bullet up and to the left. The correction for magnus effect is 15% of your spin drift + windage compensation. So for instance, with your 1425yard shot, you probably needed 1.5moa left windage to correct for spin drift and 9moa left wind for a 12mph 9 o'clock wind (~.75moa per mph) for a total 10.5moa left windage. As a result, you would need an additional 1.575moa additional 'up' (10.5 x .15=1.575).

If the wind were blowing in the opposite direction, You would still need 1.5moa 'left' for spin drift, and 9moa 'right' for wind for a total 7.5moa 'right'. As a result, 1.125moa 'down' to compensate for magnus effect (7.5 x .15 = 1.125)

Also, this caclulation assumes no up or down angle.

Last edited:
Congrats again, I bet you were almost as excited as when we got that Bull a couple years ago!

Nice going, now you need to get me invited down there with my little 338 :cool:

Later,
AJ

Not possible, that bull was more then a kill to me it helped me overcome some demons I was facing at the time.

You are always welcome, if I ever get a job that has some sort of schedule I might try to find a deer camp I feel worthy of my money. Then try to get you on a decent buck.

Not possible, that bull was more then a kill to me it helped me overcome some demons I was facing at the time.

You are always welcome, if I ever get a job that has some sort of schedule I might try to find a deer camp I feel worthy of my money. Then try to get you on a decent buck.

That WAS a special hunt. The memory of that hunt puts a smile on my face at least once a week.

AJ

Two words....FLIPPIN AWSOME!!!

And I mean flippin!! Sorta :D.

I have a bunch of spots I want to bait out to 1375. Just havn't gotten it done yet. I want to spend a bunch of days banging steel before I try the real deal at 1375. I have a few kills in the 800 to 1025 range.....but it's a totaly diffrent world past 1K.

Again.....great shot.....and I do not consider a sighter shot cheating...just plain smart!!

Not to hyjac...but what programs and what support equipment are you guys using in the field? I had the NSX program on a pocket computer, but it was usless when it got cold.....I also have the Kestrol 3500. My intrests are programs that can figure spin drift, coriolis, magnus, ect.....for the llooonnnggg stuff. I would think that station psi, lat/long, shooting direction, temp, and a bunch more things come into play at big ranges. Was asking people about phone apps, but we have ZERO reception where I hunt, so a phone may not be the answer.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.