142 ABLR vs 143 ELD-x vs 140 Elite Hunter

Out of bullets mentioned in your original post The beger eol would be my choice as that's whats worked for me... it loved slow h4831 at 45.1 grains. ragged hole 200 yrds. I later bought another creed in a tika for my wife. hers loves the 147eldm at 43.0 grains of h4350. it shoots awesome at a thousand.

So which of these bullets are most likely to exit ?
I am under the assumption that is highly dependent upon impact velocity. After reading more forums I have heard reports of all 3 of them having problems at short range and high velocity. Seems like a bullet that performs optimally at all impact velocities may be an unrealistic expectation.

I am under the assumption that is highly dependent upon impact velocity. After reading more forums I have heard reports of all 3 of them having problems at short range and high velocity. Seems like a bullet that performs optimally at all impact velocities may be an unrealistic expectation.
I've found that the eldx has good expansion yet still exits at 300-400M with a 1" exit hole. Weirdly though not beyond 500 despite less expansion. I've had large exit holes at 75-150M

Last edited:
I've found that the eldx has good expansion yet still exits feet at 300-400M with a 1" exit hole. Weirdly though not beyond 500 despite less expansion. I've had large exit holes at 75-150M
Thanks for sharing. I dont doubt you at all. Problem is for every experience like yours it seems there is one not so positive, where bullet exploded on short range shots. Seems like shoulder shots at shorter ranges are especially problematic. This is just what I am reading on this forum in various threads. Same thing with the Berger Elite hunter and the Nosler ABLR. Have seen less negative reports on the Nosler though.

I didn't catch what rifle you're shooting. But with the 143 gr ELD-x getting 2770 seems a bit off. I'm loading 42.6 gr of H4350 with that bullet and only getting 2640 fps out of my Bergara HMR in 6.5 CM. That was my most stable load after much load development. My best group with that load was 1" at 200 yards with 4 of the 5 shots in .44". The "flyer" could have (ant most likely was) me.
Don't get hung up on group size. From everything I've read, group size should be secondary to stability. Do some ladder testing and see where you get a nice flat node. I would bet it would be somewhere between 42 and 43 gr. That seems to be the sweet spot for most of the 6.5CMs that I've been seeing. The stable load will be more consistent at all ranges. Your tiny group at 100 yards could be a nightmare out past 400 or 500 yards

Last edited:
I didn't catch what rifle you're shooting. But with the 143 gr ELD-x getting 2770 seems a bit off. I'm loading 42.6 gr of H4350 with that bullet and only getting 2640 fps out of my Bergara HMR in 6.5 CM. That was my most stable load after much load development. My best group with that load was 1" at 200 yards with 4 of the 5 shots in .44". The "flyer" could have (ant most likely was) me.

Here are my numbers tested with magnetospeed. Savage 10ba stealth 6.5 creedmoor, 24" barrel, H4350, Lapua brass, CCI41 primer.

What barrel length you have? I dont think any way I could get to 42.6 gr of powder. 41.9 was pretty hot in mine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191010-230524_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20191010-230524_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 88
At shorter ranges I Prefer To shoot deer especially, in the ear (just under and behind actually). In fact I'm wondering if I should take head shots at longer distance too. However I'll leave that for another discussion. I'm curious about all the curiosity WRT exist vs no exit. If you've chosen the right rifle, right bullet for the right animal you intended to hunt then exit or no exit is not a factor, is it? It should be a humanely made shot. At 50-200m there should be plenty of energy and expansion for minimal searching. At 200-400M even with exit wounds there should be minimal searching, and if so, the blood trail will be very evident. I believe skill is your beat weapon beyond 500M. IMHO regardless of exit or no exit if the majority of our hunts' aren't humanely done then we need to rehearse or rethink our plan. I read this quote a long time ago. Fail To Plan-Plan to fail. Just my 2c

Don't get hung up on group size. From everything I've read, group size should be secondary to stability. Do some ladder testing and see where you get a nice flat node. I would bet it would be somewhere between 42 and 43 gr. That seems to be the sweet spot for most of the 6.5CMs that I've been seeing. The stable load will be more consistent at all ranges. Your tiny group at 100 yards could be a nightmare out past 400 or 500 yards
I'll try to post some data tomorrow but I'm pretty sure I'm getting better results (measured by my LabRadar) in my BERGARA B-14 HMR 26" Barrel chambered in 6.5 CM. Think on one of my loads using alpha brass, H4350 and CCI magnum primer I was getting ~2750. Again I'll have check which pill that was. It's harder for this old fart to remember the hundreds of ladder tests and loads I've shot or developed for another shooting old fart. Lol

At shorter ranges I Prefer To shoot deer especially, in the ear (just under and behind actually). In fact I'm wondering if I should take head shots at longer distance too. However I'll leave that for another discussion. I'm curious about all the curiosity WRT exist vs no exit. If you've chosen the right rifle, right bullet for the right animal you intended to hunt then exit or no exit is not a factor, is it? It should be a humanely made shot. At 50-200m there should be plenty of energy and expansion for minimal searching. At 200-400M even with exit wounds there should be minimal searching, and if so, the blood trail will be very evident. I believe skill is your beat weapon beyond 500M. IMHO regardless of exit or no exit if the majority of our hunts' aren't humanely done then we need to rehearse or rethink our plan. I read this quote a long time ago. Fail To Plan-Plan to fail. Just my 2c

I agree 100%, shot placement trumps everything we are discussing here. Still, in real hunting situations ideal shots dont always present themselves. Also, here in Missouri deer run off in the deepest darkest places they can find after being shot, and without an exit wound tracking can be very difficult. Hence the desire to find the best bullet for the job. At short range I prefer head/neck shots as well, but if a wall hanger buck presents itself Ill not be shooting it in the head or neck.

I have had all of them exit on deer size game. I have had none of them exit of elk sized game.

LRAB will have the best chance of exiting with the bonded core.

If exits are your goal them the regular accubonds will be a better choice than these three

Ive shot 2 whitetail right behind shoulders with berger at 100 yds one was drt but the other ran about 70 yards through some thick stuff and there was no blood trail neither exited . This was the 156 berger out of a 6.5 ss that started at 3100 . I just like an exit in case they do run

More out of just interest. Shot at 300yards into my bullet test box of soaked paper. Shot these last summer, next time I will work out loads at roughly the same speed for a better comparison. Can't compare to an animal, but its fair to compare bullets to each other.
Labelled with cartridge they were shot from, muzzle vel and penetration.

C89EA623-D0B3-4147-BC1E-18C0659C8C07.png61D866EC-C93C-4C3A-BD35-3C2B6BE2ECAE.jpeg

I'm not the guy you replied to, but I'm running the 143 ELDx with 42.4gr H4350 to 2840 with a 26 inch barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.