ELD-X vs Accubond

WyoMSRHunter

Hey Guys. Thanks for the add!

I have used Nosler Accubonds in my elk rifle (300 WM) for a couple of years now. For deer I've always used Hornady bullets e.g. SST's. When Hornady came out with the ELD-X I was really excited about the possibility of their use on elk. However I've recently heard of problems with the ELD-X in terminal performance over 500 yds. What are the recommendations from this forum? ELD-X vs Accubonds. Don't talk about Bergers. Ive counted those out.

Thanks in advance!

In my 6.5's the ELDX is a very accurate disaster. Recovered bullets in the dirt bank behind my 100yd target. Barnes 'TSX still weigh what they weigh before shooting. . Noslerr partition still intact from the partition back. Nosler AB retained more weight than the partition. ElDX , bits & pieces. Yes dirt is hard on a bullet but so are elk bones. A deer I shot a week or so back with the Hornady bullet had massive amounts of blood shot meat in the right front shoulder & the shoulder it self was not hit but a rib right by it was. Looked like an explosion went off. Blood shot meat from the base of the neck to 8" back on the ribs from the shoulder. Lost 80% of that front shoulder. It did kill the deer. My observation is that this bullet should only be used on rib cage shots. Understand the ELDX is just a C&C bullet with a tricky name. Nothing magic about this bullet. Just the magic of a tricky name selling something..

In my 6.5's the ELDX is a very accurate disaster. Recovered bullets in the dirt bank behind my 100yd target. Barnes 'TSX still weigh what they weigh before shooting. . Noslerr partition still intact from the partition back. Nosler AB retained more weight than the partition. ElDX , bits & pieces. Yes dirt is hard on a bullet but so are elk bones. A deer I shot a week or so back with the Hornady bullet had massive amounts of blood shot meat in the right front shoulder & the shoulder it self was not hit but a rib right by it was. Looked like an explosion went off. Blood shot meat from the base of the neck to 8" back on the ribs from the shoulder. Lost 80% of that front shoulder. It did kill the deer. My observation is that this bullet should only be used on rib cage shots. Understand the ELDX is just a C&C bullet with a tricky name. Nothing magic about this bullet. Just the magic of a tricky name selling something..

I found the same in my very "elaborate" water jug tests with my granddaughter's 6.5 Creed. At approximately 25 yards, the 143 ELD-X, penetrated 2 jugs, with a few very small pieces of bullet entering the 3rd. jug. The same day, at same distance with a 270 Win. with 140 grain Barnes TSX.....7 jugs. For anything taken with a less than ideal shot angle, or larger than a large fawn deer....guess which is my preferred hunting bullet! memtb

I found the same in my very "elaborate" water jug tests with my granddaughter's 6.5 Creed. At approximately 25 yards, the 143 ELD-X, penetrated 2 jugs, with a few very small pieces of bullet entering the 3rd. jug. The same day, at same distance with a 270 Win. with 140 grain Barnes TSX.....7 jugs. For anything taken with a less than ideal shot angle, or larger than a large fawn deer....guess which is my preferred hunting bullet! memtb
The 143 is a soft bullet ideal for deer much like a ballistic tip. The 212eldx is much more suitable for large game.

In my experience, been using 200gr AB outta my 300 for years and years, they are practically the most ideal bullet....until I started using 210gr ABLR.
These are another bullet for you to consider. According to my drops out to 800mtr, the listed BC is very very close.
I am using these in 2 300's and the performance is very good. They hold together very well and shoot FLAT. Am using 129gr in 6.5x47 & 142gr in 264WM too, with excellent results.

Cheers.

I've used the 212gELDX in my 300RUM, and at longer range, they are ok. In lighter 30 cal weights, I used the AB's, 180-200, and like how they have worked. But mostly now, I use the Scirocco II or the 210ABLR.

In my 260AI, the 143's are fragile on shoulder hits, so I stick to rib entries.

Keep away from the ELD-X's and stick with your AB's if you're getting good groups with them. I have shot the 200gr AB's for several years with my 300RUM with excellent sub half inch groups but, took a bunch of changes to get the 210gn ABLR to do the same.
Whatever bullet gives you the best performance in the gun you shoot should be the one you use as long as the bullet performance is there.

For me, the AB bullet has always seemed to be a good compromise between BC and "punch-through" power (holding together). The LRAB appeared to be more of a great thing - and they are, but I have found them to be "finicky" in most calibers I reload for. I am currently trying the ELD-X in my 270 WSM. Haven't been drawn for anything to shoot them with yet. Based on reports, the ELD-M may be a better route to go for magnum rifles pushing them at higher velocities. The ELD-M is supposed to have a little stronger jacket (and better BC).

Last edited:
My boy and I both used 200 eld-x this year on deer, 300 win and 300 wsm. No issues and no "explosion" on bullets, from 25 yds to 150 yds. Entry as expected and exit about golf ball. Both hit behind shoulder, 1 shot. Granted they weren't elk. Another friend swears by 180 accubond in his 300 rum, another 175 eld-x in his 7rum and 212 eld-x in a 300 wby. One with a 7rum has used this round on long range elk as well, again no explosion and performed. My opinion eld-x shoot and perform as needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.