143 eldx vs 147 eldm

Canhunter35

Has anyone compared these bullets? I bought a box of 147's, took one out and compared it to my 143's. I couldn't tell the difference between them. It got me wondering if the only difference is the cavity in the nose and interlock ring on the eldx and externally the bullets are the same.
Has anyone measured them with the proper tools?

used a Hornady comparator for .264 cal. Here is what i found with the lots i had on hand...
147 ELDM
1.434 OAL
.801 Base to Ogive
=.633 Tip to Ogive (calculated)

143 ELDX
1.429 OAL
.787 Base to Ogive
=.642 Tip to Ogive (calculated)

So a little different, but not a heck of a lot. I'm going to load some 147 in my 143 load, leave die exactly where it is and try them

So a little different, but not a heck of a lot. I'm going to load some 147 in my 143 load, leave die exactly where it is and try them
The reason why they are so close in external dimensions yet one is 4 grains heavier is because the eld-x has a tapered jacket that is much thicker at the base, where the eld-m has a consistent thickness jacket throughout. And because copper is lighter than lead, the 147 has more mass in the same externally sized bullet as the 143, because there is more lead and less copper. You may have seen this on another thread, but I'll post another members picture, I forget who it was, but they did an excellent job sectioning these bullets.
proxy.jpg

used a Hornady comparator for .264 cal. Here is what i found with the lots i had on hand...
147 ELDM
1.434 OAL
.801 Base to Ogive
=.633 Tip to Ogive (calculated)

143 ELDX
1.429 OAL
.787 Base to Ogive
=.642 Tip to Ogive (calculated)

Some of mine measure the same as yours. Some the bearing surface difference is less than .005. Most of my 147s measure .795 base to ogive. I am using the same tool as you.

I had a good load for the 143's in my 6.5wsm. Bought some 147's and the same powder charge worked. I did adjust the die and made the jumps the same which equaled same accuracy. So same powder charge and same jump shot the same.

Some of mine measure the same as yours. Some the bearing surface difference is less than .005. Most of my 147s measure .795 base to ogive. I am using the same tool as you.

I never spent much time measuring different lots of bullets before..... didn't realize that the BTO measurement could be different by that much. maybe the bore size of the comparators are not consistent? Thanks for pointing that out to us.

I use the same powder charge on my 6.5 CM for both with no issues. On my 6.5 GAP I had to back 2 grains because it almost blew the primers using the same charge.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Tony.
Finally got around to loading a few, same powder 41.8 h4350, left my die adjusted for 143eldx and I shot .5" 5 shot group at 100. The way I grouped them suggests it shoots better than I did on that group, which would equal the 143eldx group. Loaded up more and will shoot at range and confirm my drops...but looks like it is fairly interchangeable with the 143

I was wondering what the real difference is between these 2 bullets. Nice of Cody to cut 2 of them in half and post pic. Usually I shoot the 140hybrid but wanted to try both of these in my 6.5saum. With the idea of using them for hunting.The 147 shoots great in my gun, on average better than the 143. My barrel is 26" 8tw. my loads; all are .010 jump and 215m primers with the Hornady brass that I anneal after every firing.
140hybrid , 60.9 H1000 avg 3120
143eld-x, 60.6 H1000 avg 3107

147eld-m, 60.0 H1000 avg3067 as a note, I haven't tested more powder in this load as it was cold weather when I was testing and decided to wait till warmer weather to find max load.

Nice of Cody to cut 2 of them in half and post pic.
Just wanted to point out, It wasn't me that cut the bullets and took the pic. Another member on this forum did the work, I just copied his pic here for a reference. I forget who it was, but I don't want to take credit for his work, ha ha.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts