142 ABLR vs 143 ELD-x vs 140 Elite Hunter

Slightly off topic. Rem 7-1/2 are about as hard as I've found. I run them in everything I can. If you are having cratering problems and are NOT overpressure. It can be fixed. What size is your firing pin? .062 is the ideal size. Anything larger and things go wonky. Gretanrifles does this service and now all the new custom actions come with the same .062 Fp. Works very well
I will be the one guy to rabbit a bit. I suggest tryinh the barnse 130 tsx. Federal 210 or 210m primers. Start 50 off lands and up to 120 off lands. This woulds be a benchrest load but you should get great accuracy, and game killing performance is reliabl and dramatic with 0 failure of bullets! My daughter used this combo out of a kimber 260 , that worked up and used on kudu, and zebra. Everyone felt the round wasnt up to task, esp on zebra. She put on 130 through both shoulders at 240 yd. He went 25 to 30 yds and dumped. 52 in
Kudu didnt go 5 yds,after hit from 120 yds. I love to shoot paper, but i dont sweat .3 in loss of accuracy at 100 if the bullet gives 100 % reliable performance. I am not shooting game at 1000 yds , even though i regularly shoot that far or further.. just my opinion. And i expect the backlash, go for it. I am and unrepentant Barnes lover,Or other bullits of their type for hunting. For targets and hunting i use berger vlds snd have had gr8 sucess killing things, but often no exit as with barnes. Am in africa as i write this using a 28 nosler and 195 vld's at 3050. Gun shoots .25 moa. No real long shots yet but it erformed well on a big roan bull at 250, a big bush pig and stll looking for that big kudu bull. Just a side note my 470 ne with 500 barnes solid. Did a nice job on 42 in sable at 120 yds. Getting to like the aimpoint on this gun. Did a gr8 job on s big cape buff also. Merrrry xmas to all!

Awesome, thanks for the help. Do you do any bullet sorting with your 143 eldx's? Yes, long range hunting load. Many have said just use the ELDm or berger target for hunting, which may be fine, but I feel more comfortable using a dedicated hunting bullet (but it does need to hit the target!)
The eld-m is a great hunting bullet at creed velocity. Eld-m are all I use for hunting now in both 6.5 and 7mm.

Thanks for the input. Are you using them on deer and do you get an exit hole from the ELD-m? What kind of distances have you used them to take game?

Thanks for the input. Are you using them on deer and do you get an exit hole from the ELD-m? What kind of distances have you used them to take game?
Deer and bear both. Almost always get an exit from the creed. In the 7mm I used to use the 162 and never got exit . Tried the 180 eld-m this year and got an exit. I have a thread going into detail the 180s performance. Shots have ranged from 12 yards to 250.

Curiosity sake...try coal about 2.81, 2.82

Here is a pic of my 1st seating depth test. Tested from .01 to .08 jump in .01 increments. Group 6 and 7 would be in that 2.81-2.82 oal range.

Attachments

• target_image.jpg
    target_image.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 103
To the OP, et all;
First post ever so forgive me if I've spewed previously stated information.
A little background on my 6.5 CM's and the plethoras of combinations I've tried.
SAKO 85 FINNLIGHT WITH 20"SS BARREL Sig Sauer BDX scope and Spartan bipod for walk and stalk backwoods and extended walking/hunting
Bergera B-14 HMR WITH 26 BARREL Vortex scope and spartan bipod for overland glassing from a stand/static position for LR Hunting.
I've trialed: 95, 100, 107, 123, 127, 129s, 130s, 135, 140s, 142, 143, 147, 156, and 160gr pills
I've trialed: CCI 200, 250, BR2&4, 400, 450. Fed gold medal match 205m, Rem 6-1/2, 9-1/2.
I've trialed: Hornady (LRP), Alpha (SRP), Peterson (LRP) SMALL & LARGE FLASH HOLES, Barnes (LRP). Brass
Plethora of factory ammo.
I've trialed:H4350, varget, superformance, H4895, Benchrest, Hybrid 100V, IMR 3031, AND VV N-160 powders
Plethora of distances off ( or on lanz )
shot in all weather, lighting and field conditions, temperatures and altitudes at everything from Richardson ground squirrel to Large moose.
Best advice I can offer is once you get to a consistent 1MOA in all bullets you intend to hunt with ( yes there are different bullets for different hunting conditions and situations as I'm sure your aware ) practice practice practice in as many weather conditions as possible as it will be these variables that need to be mastered for a successful hunt (IMHO). Remember that, that 1" group @ 600Y is we'll within the vitals or broadside neck of a whitetail. In my experience available energy with a given pill coupled with shot placement have been the difference in an DRT ethical kill and searching for hours wondering if an animal is suffering god knows where. Just my 2c,
129gr SST pill, SUPERFORMANCE powder, alpha SRP Brass, CCI 250 Primer is my go to round in my sako for hunting in open fields. 50-400Yd
160gr RN pill, VV N-160 powder, Peterson LRP brass, FED GOLD MATCH primer in my Sako for hunting in the thick forest of Canada. 30-100 meters
143gr ELDX Pill, H-4350 powder, PETERSON brass, CCI BR2 primer. This is my favourite LRH round in my bergara B-14 HMR for stand hunting. 300-700Yd
Certainly could provide more details for information and general information however I stand by by word that if your truly wanting to drop a deer at 1000yd then practice from a 1MOA load is the key. This is not an easy task. IMHO. Today There are factory rounds that shoot sub MOA. As an example, both the Hornady 129SST And the 143 ELD-X factory rounds, in my rifles are 1MOA (better actually) rounds id use that lot any day in my rifles. However I'm Ret'd military and just like to tinker with ammo. If this represents you then simply ignore everything I said lol. After all it fun right. Again good luck.

To the OP, et all;
First post ever so forgive me if I've spewed previously stated information.
A little background on my 6.5 CM's and the plethoras of combinations I've tried.
SAKO 85 FINNLIGHT WITH 20"SS BARREL Sig Sauer BDX scope and Spartan bipod for walk and stalk backwoods and extended walking/hunting
Bergera B-14 HMR WITH 26 BARREL Vortex scope and spartan bipod for overland glassing from a stand/static position for LR Hunting.
I've trialed: 95, 100, 107, 123, 127, 129s, 130s, 135, 140s, 142, 143, 147, 156, and 160gr pills
I've trialed: CCI 200, 250, BR2&4, 400, 450. Fed gold medal match 205m, Rem 6-1/2, 9-1/2.
I've trialed: Hornady (LRP), Alpha (SRP), Peterson (LRP) SMALL & LARGE FLASH HOLES, Barnes (LRP). Brass
Plethora of factory ammo.
I've trialed:H4350, varget, superformance, H4895, Benchrest, Hybrid 100V, IMR 3031, AND VV N-160 powders
Plethora of distances off ( or on lanz )
shot in all weather, lighting and field conditions, temperatures and altitudes at everything from Richardson ground squirrel to Large moose.
Best advice I can offer is once you get to a consistent 1MOA in all bullets you intend to hunt with ( yes there are different bullets for different hunting conditions and situations as I'm sure your aware ) practice practice practice in as many weather conditions as possible as it will be these variables that need to be mastered for a successful hunt (IMHO). Remember that, that 1" group @ 600Y is we'll within the vitals or broadside neck of a whitetail. In my experience available energy with a given pill coupled with shot placement have been the difference in an DRT *Rule 1 Violation*al kill and searching for hours wondering if an animal is suffering god knows where. Just my 2c,
129gr SST pill, SUPERFORMANCE powder, alpha SRP Brass, CCI 250 Primer is my go to round in my sako for hunting in open fields. 50-400Yd
160gr RN pill, VV N-160 powder, Peterson LRP brass, FED GOLD MATCH primer in my Sako for hunting in the thick forest of Canada. 30-100 meters
143gr ELDX Pill, H-4350 powder, PETERSON brass, CCI BR2 primer. This is my favourite LRH round in my bergara B-14 HMR for stand hunting. 300-700Yd
Certainly could provide more details for information and general information however I stand by by word that if your truly wanting to drop a deer at 1000yd then practice from a 1MOA load is the key. This is not an easy task. IMHO. Today There are factory rounds that shoot sub MOA. As an example, both the Hornady 129SST And the 143 ELD-X factory rounds, in my rifles are 1MOA (better actually) rounds id use that lot any day in my rifles. However I'm Ret'd military and just like to tinker with ammo. If this represents you then simply ignore everything I said lol. After all it fun right. Again good luck.

Good info, thanks for the advice. Just curious, why not use the eld-x at short range?

Good info, thanks for the advice. Just curious, why not use the eld-x at short range?
Meat preservation mostly and I also use it to kill coyotes; sometimes for the pelts. There is less recoil for follow up shots. A minor thing on first thought; but saving weight on a long trek means a lot 4 hours into your trip.

A friend of mine just took this doe today. 100 yards with a Berger 168gr VLD hunter, at 2950fps out of a 7mag. There was no exit, that wound is the entrance. Guess the bullet just grenaded when it hit that shoulder. He said he never seen so much blood. Ran about 50yds before falling.

I am shocked that much energy into the animal didnt punch through it. What do you all think of the performance of that bullet? It did its job for sure, however it makes me a bit leary of the Berger hunting bullets as I would prefer to see something that penetrates through.

Attachments

• 20191208_173548_001_1575850606528_001.jpg
    20191208_173548_001_1575850606528_001.jpg
    886 KB · Views: 97
A friend of mine just took this doe today. 100 yards with a Berger 168gr VLD hunter, at 2950fps out of a 7mag. There was no exit, that wound is the entrance. Guess the bullet just grenaded when it hit that shoulder. He said he never seen so much blood. Ran about 50yds before falling.

I am shocked that much energy into the animal didnt punch through it. What do you all think of the performance of that bullet? It did its job for sure, however it makes me a bit leary of the Berger hunting bullets as I would prefer to see something that penetrates through.
That bullet did exactly what it's intended to do. Rapid expansion with a large WO channel. Likely will find it fragmented as well.
well done

So which of these bullets are most likely to exit ?
Well. As far as I know there all hunting bullets......so all are designed to "expand". Having said that, all have the potential to exit. All depends at what and where your hitting and the projectiles velocity at impact. I'd be surprised if any of those three pills exited a medium to larger sized game at a distance beyond 500M. The ELD-X (which I'm most familiar with) will certainly pass thru a whitetail if you make a classic broadside shot into the vital at 350M or under (in my experience with my Creedmoor). I'd say you'd need around 2200 FPS at impact. I've never taken an animal with the other two.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.