1400 yd whistle pig

Discussion in 'Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)' started by COBrad, Aug 22, 2015.

1. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

Opening day of our marmot season. This one was at an even 1400 yds, and another at 1317. No point showing off the close ones.

Attached Files:

2. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Very cool. What cartridge are you shooting; .223? :D

3. Rogue Hunter

Rogue Hunter Well-Known Member

That's a long poke.
    Great shooting,

-Mike

4. JJMoody

JJMoody Well-Known Member

I think some specs on rifle,cartridge, etc.. may be in order for this. Fantastic shooting by the way!

5. tt35

tt35 Well-Known Member

Nice, Brad!! Makes an elk look pretty big, huh?!

6. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

Rifle is a 7 rem mag built by Quarter Minute Magnums. BAT action, Jewel 20 oz. trigger, 28" Kreiger 9 twist barrel, Greybull stock, Schmidt Bender PMII 4-16 scope. Shooting 180 gr Berger hunting VLD's at about 2900 fps.

Yes, shooting marmots does make elk look pretty big. I had this rifle built specifically for long range marmots. The 1400 yard shot is the 6th marmot taken at over 3/4 mile. This rifle is a shooter!

7. tt35

tt35 Well-Known Member

That's awesome. 16X is not too much for marmots. My nephew took one at 1260 while hunting with me and he said the reticle of his 4.5-14X Leupold covered the whole chuck! Your S&B probably has a finer crosshair than his Leupy though.

8. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

The scope was purchased from Darrell Holland and has his ART reticle in it. I spoke with him about my intended use and he assured me the reticle was thin enough. He was right.

9. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

That is some amazing shooting and beautiful scenery! Where at in CO?

10. aebhunter

aebhunter Well-Known Member

I was gonna say the same thing. I got a rock chuck at 965 over the 4th of July and my reticle pretty much covered the entire creature. I shoot a vortex 4-16 hslr, which I found is awesome for hunting pretty much everything except the smaller varmints. It was all I could do just to try and aim small enough to hit it. I had everything dialed right, but if I am being honest I would say there had to have been a medium amount of luck involved since i just basically covered the marmot with my reticle and touched er off. Probably one of the better shots I have made. Can't imagine one at 1400.

11. Marine sniper

Marine sniper Well-Known Member

Very nice shooting from a very fine (but often over-looked) cartridge / bullet combination. I advocated for it to replace the current .308 Marine Snipers are stuck with (.308 with 175 gr. Sierra's).

12. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

Well, I can't give away my best spots... but I shoot on the continental divide in western Colorado.

13. drags

drags Well-Known Member

Brad do you use this rifle for deer and elk also?
    Drags

14. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

I haven't used it for big game yet. It was purpose built for long range marmots. I'll be hunting elk in November on a ranch I manage, and will probably use it there.