1400 yd whistle pig

COBrad

Opening day of our marmot season. This one was at an even 1400 yds, and another at 1317. No point showing off the close ones.

Attachments

• 8.10.15 1400 yd hog.jpg
    8.10.15 1400 yd hog.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 18
Rifle is a 7 rem mag built by Quarter Minute Magnums. BAT action, Jewel 20 oz. trigger, 28" Kreiger 9 twist barrel, Greybull stock, Schmidt Bender PMII 4-16 scope. Shooting 180 gr Berger hunting VLD's at about 2900 fps.

Yes, shooting marmots does make elk look pretty big. I had this rifle built specifically for long range marmots. The 1400 yard shot is the 6th marmot taken at over 3/4 mile. This rifle is a shooter!

That's awesome. 16X is not too much for marmots. My nephew took one at 1260 while hunting with me and he said the reticle of his 4.5-14X Leupold covered the whole chuck! Your S&B probably has a finer crosshair than his Leupy though.

The scope was purchased from Darrell Holland and has his ART reticle in it. I spoke with him about my intended use and he assured me the reticle was thin enough. He was right.

That's awesome. 16X is not too much for marmots. My nephew took one at 1260 while hunting with me and he said the reticle of his 4.5-14X Leupold covered the whole chuck! Your S&B probably has a finer crosshair than his Leupy though.

I was gonna say the same thing. I got a rock chuck at 965 over the 4th of July and my reticle pretty much covered the entire creature. I shoot a vortex 4-16 hslr, which I found is awesome for hunting pretty much everything except the smaller varmints. It was all I could do just to try and aim small enough to hit it. I had everything dialed right, but if I am being honest I would say there had to have been a medium amount of luck involved since i just basically covered the marmot with my reticle and touched er off. Probably one of the better shots I have made. Can't imagine one at 1400.

Very nice shooting from a very fine (but often over-looked) cartridge / bullet combination. I advocated for it to replace the current .308 Marine Snipers are stuck with (.308 with 175 gr. Sierra's).

I haven't used it for big game yet. It was purpose built for long range marmots. I'll be hunting elk in November on a ranch I manage, and will probably use it there.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.