Google earth accuracy . The 1400 yard ??

bigbuck

I was told some good news today . My father inlaw says that the farmers are cutting the corn right now:):):)
that means I can shoot further than 1000 Yards! One of the hunting club members said that he google earthed from one end of the field to the other and it says 1400 yards. Would google earth be any more accurate than my leica 1600 yard range finder ? I will know the answer the next time we go to shoot but thought maybe you fellas have tried this before ?

It want be long and I will get to see what it's like to pull the trigger on the other side of the 1000 yard mark and I cant waite.........gun)

Set up your bench and target stand in a couple months or years when google updates the picture you can scale it off.

I'd just use the range finder.

Thanks guys for the reply . It must have scared the other folks:D
I will stick with the 1600 !gun)

On flat ground google is very accurate (Within 1 meter) and it can be used to check survey markers

But on uneven ground (Like the mountains)it measures horizontal distance and not distance over
ground, so if you are on a ridge looking down the distance over ground will be more than google
will be to the same point below/above.

However the bullet drop will be close to the google distance drop.

I have used Google Earth to get coordinates for locating terrain features,stands,water holes and
other things and plugged these into my GPS and been able to go directly to them In the dark.

Is it as accurate as a good LRF ? Probably not.

J E CUSTOM

On flat terrain Google Earth is HIGHLY ACCURATE!! I have yardage lines that have been surveyed and checked with steel tapes and when viewing it's right on!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.