110 gr gsc elk bullet

Hi Canadian Bushman, and everybody else.Well , I choose a light, quick, short repeating , saddle rifle with a barrel 22"long maximum, designed for steep sided terrain.I find that with the premium bullets today, our rifles are rifle are more capable than ever.A 7x57,.270, 30/06 easily works with a short tube .I am very curious about the drive band approach to this equation, yes I will try this product..so far unavailable in Canada though. I have used the 25/06 on moose and elk with good success, sadly these rifles need a 24 "barrel .For the record , one of my favorites is the 375 H&H.I find the discussion on this interesting, educational and vital, because this is what spurs on new ideas.Gerard , just might provide some information , if we are willing to listen...in my opinion.What says you?take care.

Canadian Bushman,

Give me a practical example and I will show you where you are missing some facts.

My 308

I have a 30" 1:10 twist barrel that i shoot 215gn bergers at a mv of 2600fps
I use this gun for ftr competition
For hunting
And for practice

This bullet has explosive terminal performance on game with 1100 ft/lbs of energy at 1k yds and stays supersonic to 1500 yds.

These bullets cost me right over $50 for 100.

Mr. Schultz
I am ignorant to your bullets but for you to say I haven't compared products finely enough is insulting this is a long range forum, do you think I just grabbed some low Bc bullets and started lobbing them to 1000yrds and called my self a longrange shooter. It took many years to do that and extensive load testing and comparing bullets,powder,brass and primers, to get a rifle to shoot at least 1/2moa so testing products have consumed most of my free time for years. So if your super bullets can get me 1/2moa to 1200yrds for 50$ per 100 rounds the I would give them a try because economics is also included in my extensive load testing. All I really needed to know about my rifle was twist rate....

I'm personally very interested in a .30 130 grain lead free bullet for the .308. In my experience the limiting factor for expansion with mono's is velocity. On game performance seems to be decided much more by impact velocity than any other factor. For me that limit is 2000 fps. Cup and cores can be developed to expand reliably and far lower velocities than I have been able to get with mono's. For what ever reason in my .308 I simply can not reach anywhere near the published velocities even with the lightest 150 grain ETip.

In ballistic program comparisons it appears the lighter mono's should be able to be pushed to velocities that might overcome their BC short fallings when compared to heavier bullets. At least in the smaller cases. My 7mm Rem Mag seems to have no problem pushing 150 grain ETips to velocities comparable to cup and core bullets.

I'm beginning of to disbelieve everyone but Gerald.

Or

Many contributors to this threead are unemployed with unlimited shooting time and budget.gun)

jfseaman,

living on the Central Coast you've probably had to put up with lead free longer than most of us. What's your experience been with lead free? Do you see the same need for higher velocity for reliable expansion?

jfseaman,

living on the Central Coast you've probably had to put up with lead free longer than most of us. What's your experience been with lead free? Do you see the same need for higher velocity for reliable expansion?

I've not taken enough game to comment on that part.

I can comment on the ballistics. Copper/monometal bullets perform ballistically just fine. Is it the same as jacketed lead, of course not but a vld does not perform the same as a gameking.

If anyone wants to get into a whizzing match, I give up, you win.

I've not taken enough game to comment on that part.

I can comment on the ballistics. Copper/monometal bullets perform ballistically just fine. Is it the same as jacketed lead, of course not but a vld does not perform the same as a gameking.

If anyone wants to get into a whizzing match, I give up, you win.

No whizzing match here. I have no interest in "measuring" up against any dude on this planet LOL! Being forced to use lead free here in CA I am just trying to figure out how to make them work as well as possible. Trying to make the best of the situation that's all. I've been wanting a lighter bullet and am interested in what GSC has to offer.

bigngreen,

Having looked at your history of posts, I find it difficult to believe that you have used GSC bullets on any game at all. There is no record from you of how GSC performed terminally, going back to the beginning of 2011.

I did not mean it to read like I had personally shot the HV but other friends have, I have inspected a cut a number of animals shot with them. I type poorly and have to go back and reword stuff and usually do a poorer job the second try!
If you could go back far enough I believe there is a thread on this very bullet and there was a decent discussion about using the 110 HV from 270 WSM's, some good info was shared from some others on terminal performance, at that time your bullets were coming into the US from one source that was not very easy to get your hands on them so we shot a bunch of the next best things which are the Barnes, while not the same in many aspects they are similar enough construction and weight that a guy can get a decent idea if it's worth pursuing and we simply could not reliably shoot through an elk shoulder especially 3+ year old bulls and that was at WSM velocities. I only target the shoulder for bullet testing, normally I shoot behind the shoulder but I do want to know if I get forward the bullet will penetrate the vitals.

We both lack direct experience with one or another aspect with the task at hand and pull from our experience with similar but different references, I have not shot the 110 HV specifically and you have not shot an elk specifically so were just scrapping together recommendations based on experiences with similar cases!
I have not killed African game, it's my goal in the next 5 years to make it happen, I do know one guy who has hunted African game with a 270 cal and heavy for cal bullets, he's only shot one animal a second time that is my only frame of reference for shooting African game with that cal, I obviously don't go on African hunting forums and give my opinion on how to kill their game :D

Cost is not a concern, a precision turned bullet is a more expensive and exacting bullet to make and should cost a premium, if they deliver I'm more than happy to spend my hard earned money on them.

I certainly hope your not taking this as GSC hostility, just no love for light for cal bullets on elk. I have looked at GS bullets frequently over the years to see if there is anything that got my attention, the 375392HV recently caught my attention but I could not find it when I went to order.

Like laughter, confession, etc ... constructive criticism is good for the soul.

I don't think the LRH community is criticizing the 110, it's just that most prefer heavier and more readily available options in humanely harvesting elk in LR.

Last edited:
I'm beginning of to disbelieve everyone but Gerald.

Or

Many contributors to this threead are unemployed with unlimited shooting time and budget.gun)
I cut 10,000 board feet of timber today and my budget is very limited. LOL...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.