110 gr .25 Accubonds??

I only have a little bit to contribute. My 25-06 is an Ackley improved with a 24" barrel, on a Mauser action. I've had it for over 30 years and have shot many deer with it. For years I used Nosler Partitions, with perfect results, but it only shot into just over an inch at 100 yds. I discovered the Ballistic Tips and it shoots these into close to 1/2", and I've also had perfect results with these, altho most shots have been at long range.

I went to the range last weekend, working on loads for a new 270, and decided to take the 25-06 because I just bought a box of 110 AB's. I stated out with 58 grains of H4831 and shot a 3-shot group of a little over an inch. Velocity was just a little over 3300, which surprised me because the same load with 115 BT's is a little less than that. Temp outside was about 85 so I chose not to shoot the next load, which was 58 1/2 gr of the same powder.

I was a little disappointed, but my dies are set up for AB's and I didn't pay any attention to OAL. I'll keep on working. Interesting comment someone made about his 25-06 shooting markedly better with a little jump.

[ QUOTE ]
Could be, but I did get them up to 3379 with the short 22" barrel. I don't think I could safely push them any faster?
It is a 10" twist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it aint speed you need then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

did you check the actual twist, or is that the manuf spec? Whose barrel?

JB

[ QUOTE ]
I just checked it tonight and I kept coming up with 10 1/4" but I'm probably off and it is actually just a 1 in 10".

It is a factory carbon steel Browning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i would actually trust your measurments more probably.

it had been a while since i looked but i thought my 25-06 remmy barrel was 9-1/4 tw... Hell, i had trouble shooting the 115 bergers -- just didnt like that bullet.

Im gonna vote for just not quite enough twist.

How long is the bullet compared to a 115 b-tip and 115 berger?

JB

Jb100R, when I talked to Nosler late last year, they said they designed the Accubond to be the same size as the 115gn Bal tip, and that was why it wound up weighing 110gn. According to Nosler, they are supposed to shoot the same and my experience is that they do, although, obviously that has not been everyone's experience.

I have a Sendero that my smith built as a 25/270 wsm and I have been shooting the 110 accubonds in it using retumbo. I am getting under a quarter inch at 100 yrds. Heck if I was a better shot I am sure it would one hole them so I think they are great. I am using Accubonds on all my loads right now and having great results.
Hope this helps

I just got off the phone with a guy who is also getting great groups with the 110 AB's but he is shooting a 257 Wby and is pushing them way fast. Maybe it has to be doing 3350+ fps to shoot well.

Sewwhat89;
I have not had a chance to chrony it yet as I have been working on two rifles I am taking Elk hunting but I will post the info as soon as I get a chance to do that. I am using a 28 inch Pac Nor fluted barrel. Hope this helps.

GG,

I'm getting accuracy of .7-.8" with the 25 cal 110 gr AB from a M700 Classic in 257 Roberts.
I've only shot them at 100 yds so I can't offer you any comments for longer distances.

JD338

GG,

I read an article recently, can't remember who wrote it, but he said he's never had anything over 100 gr. shoot well in a .257 bore.

I know it ain't what you asked, but maybe your client would like to try the HIB 110 gr. From what I've heard a lot of people have trouble getting these to shoot too but most every rifle doesn't like something.

Swift is bringing out a Scirocco II in 100 gr. but it is not yet available so no help there today.

Good Luck, Festus

I am shooting the AB's out of my 25WSM at ~.3" @200 yds. Velocity is 3480fps and they are seated out .050". They did not shoot well closer than .030 off.

Swift has been showing the .257 Scirocco on their website for over a year. Are they REALLY coming out soon???

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.