10mm auto powerrecommendations

CcGEXTOl.jpg

180gr FMJ loaded within the last couple weeks with 12.1gr Accurate #9. I used Longshot for years but realized I have well over 20lbs of ACC#9 t use. It runs my Glocks perfectly.

I can tell you a Glock 20 1993 model can handle 15.0 of blue dot behind a 180. The cases cant and the pistol eats them up like candy. This was my first ever shots and I shot a magazine with this pistol. I thought there is no way on gods green earth will I be able to shoot this thing. Picked up the brass and thought WTH??!!! Yeah, it was supposed to be 10.5, and I just slid the grain weight instead of the .1grain. I did not have a chronograph and I will not be trying it again to find the velocity. I know the slide will slam all the way against the back hard enough to jolt your arm. 🤫
Yikes! I thought I loaded mine warm...nowhere near 15 grains though! I don't think I'd want to try 15 in my 10mm revolver, much less my Glock or RIA.

Longshot. Lower powder weight than many competing powders and it's a lot more forgiving than most other medium/slow burn rate powders I've used. It also gives the best velocities of any powder I could find. I've also used it in a few really far off-book recipes for bolt action rifles and it's been a stunner.
That's what I use in mine as well. Works well with 180's and 200's..

If you think its a short cased .41mag Blue Dot is your Huckleberry. That's all I load in a 10MM anymore anyway. That's also where I found accuracy. Loads in the old Speer manual are quite over max today. Guess pistols were stronger in the old days. That's where all the accuracy was with mine with 180's in a 6" 1911. YMMV but use every caution working up just like an other cartridge.
I agree. Longshot is a good high performance powder too.

IMR 800x was the gold standard for atomic 10mm loads. I believe the data has been neutered to some extent over the years. Looking through archived glocktalk threads for 800x might be a good start.

Cornflakes, I mean 800X works for full power loads, but must be weighed each load. I use a 22# spring and Storm Lake 6" bbl in my Glock 20. I would not recommend using full power loads in a Glock without upgrading the spring and bbl. Don't know how other model 10mm's handle pressure, so start low....rsbhunter

If you think its a short cased .41mag Blue Dot is your Huckleberry. That's all I load in a 10MM anymore anyway. That's also where I found accuracy. Loads in the old Speer manual are quite over max today. Guess pistols were stronger in the old days. That's where all the accuracy was with mine with 180's in a 6" 1911. YMMV but use every caution working up just like an other cartridge.

No. Blue Dot changed in burn rate, and if you use the old manuals for charge, you may experience over-pressure loads. Due to this, the more modern load manuals have dropped several of the old loads and even some pistol bullet weights completely.

I had several varied fast pistol loads with old Blue Dot that are now unsafe with modern Blue dot.

Edit to add - I believe it was 2008 when they issued a Safety Notice around this.

Last edited: