10mm reloading

Ucsdryder

Going to try my first go at pistol reloading.

Glock 29
6" storm lake barrel
Bluedot
Cci LPP
starling 1x fired
Extreme 180gr and Hornady xtp bullets

I BELIEVE the storm lake can handle a little more pressure than the stock Glock barrel but I just want plinking stuff. I don't want to load to 40 but don't need them hot either.

Was planning on sticking around 10-10.3gr of gold dot with a oal of 1.260".

Any advice, input, etc would be welcome!

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of Longshot in the 10mm wth 180-200 grain bullets, but I like to load mine on the warm side. Blue Dot is a close second. 800X is another good one, but meters like crap.

I loaded my Glock 20.....oh my gosh.....way back in the mid 90's. The gun rags were talking about how powerful it was and almost no one could handle it. I loaded up the first rounds I shot in it. The load was supposed to be 10.5gr (powder type out in shop) with a 180gr bullet. My balance powder scale I moved the grain instead of the 1/10th grain adjuster. I was shooting with my dad and I touched off a few and was thinking HOLY CRUD NO WAY CAN I SHOOT THIS THING FAST. My dad said he did not want to shoot it. I could feel the slide slam back against the stop causing the muzzle to jerk up and back in addition to the normal recoil. I finished the first magazine and started picking up the brass. I could see the side about 1/3 the way up was all stretched out to the side about half the diameter of the case mouth. I knew something was wrong and went in and checked....yep sure as poop I messed up. I have swollen numerous cases io many Glocks because of the unsupported chamber down the feed ramp without bursting them. Split one Glock barrel with a double charge in a 40/Mod 24, blew out the magazine and broke the mag release....stung my fingers and hand like hello. No other damage to the gun or magazine.

I loaded my Glock 20.....oh my gosh.....way back in the mid 90's. The gun rags were talking about how powerful it was and almost no one could handle it. I loaded up the first rounds I shot in it. The load was supposed to be 10.5gr (powder type out in shop) with a 180gr bullet. My balance powder scale I moved the grain instead of the 1/10th grain adjuster. I was shooting with my dad and I touched off a few and was thinking HOLY CRUD NO WAY CAN I SHOOT THIS THING FAST. My dad said he did not want to shoot it. I could feel the slide slam back against the stop causing the muzzle to jerk up and back in addition to the normal recoil. I finished the first magazine and started picking up the brass. I could see the side about 1/3 the way up was all stretched out to the side about half the diameter of the case mouth. I knew something was wrong and went in and checked....yep sure as poop I messed up. I have swollen numerous cases io many Glocks because of the unsupported chamber down the feed ramp without bursting them. Split one Glock barrel with a double charge in a 40/Mod 24, blew out the magazine and broke the mag release....stung my fingers and hand like hello. No other damage to the gun or magazine.
Are you trying to scare me? Lol. It's working!!!

I use a lot of AA #9 in my 1911. 12.8gr with a xtreme 180gr FN (max was 13.3 if I remember). I also really like ramshot silhouette, works well in 9 an 45 too. tried 2400, lots of fireball out of the muzzle so if you like that.... 800x was good, just a PITA to load. Might try CFE pistol at some point when it gets warmer out.

matt

forgot to add, check an see of you have a unsupported chamber, if so, your going to want to keep the loads lighter......or just toss the brass

Blue dot is what my dad uses in his 10mm for top end loads. Longshot, if I recall correctly, is a little more forgiving on powder charge. I know I can make both a minor and major load in my uspsa limited class Glock 35 with it, so a 180 anywhere from 725ish up to 1000+ if I want to load it warm. As is obvious, pistols are more touchy about a change in powder charge, .1 of a grain makes a much larger difference than it would in a rifle, half a grain can really change things. Just work up from a little lower, as long as it's within the min/max, and make sure your not getting a glock bulge.

Longshot, Power Pistol, WSF, Silhouette, Blue Dot, Universal Clays, N340, N350, 3n37, 3n38, don't forget about Unique, there are a lot of good powders for 10mm. If I wanted midrange 10mm I'm not sure what I would use. Longshot is outstanding toward full power, burns clean, decently consistent and gets more consistent as the pressure increases. Silhouette I haven't shot a lot yet but the workups were really good. Power Pistol makes a HUGE white flash, like a camera flash and that's fun, it is also clean and consistent at pretty much any power level. Super Field smells good, works great, it's a good all around choice. Universal is probably the cleanest for me, very consistent too and would probably be my choice for midrange loads using jacketed bullets. Unique is absolutely where I would go with lead bullets every time, WSF being a distant second choice. 340 and 350 really shine toward full power. 3n37 and 3n38 if you want full power plus.....

I use Longshot in 10mm with 180gr bullets and get about 1220fps with them. I have a few pounds of AA #9 that I plan on trying next with some 200gr bullets.