1000 POUND HOGS--- Yes they are out there

Higher vel vs momentum have the gives and takes. I think we will design it for the socom to function in the rifle and terminally, and let the weight fall where it does.

Steve

Sounds good to me. Steve, could you spin up a solid version of what you come up with? Brass solids fly good for me just not a fan of them being brass being slightly abrasive and all.

Sounds good to me. Steve, could you spin up a solid version of what you come up with? Brass solids fly good for me just not a fan of them being brass being slightly abrasive and all.

As soon as we get un buried, we'll get it done. Brass has one good quality, machinability. It is lighter than copper and not as good terminally. Too brittle.

Steve

Sounds good to me also. I don't care what it ends up as function over all else I want the deadliest bullet possible. Don't care what it looks like or how it kills just that it does. But sounds like you are on top of it as always. Pm me if you need an upper for testing.

Maybe I still have not been clear. The problem is not killing them. It is how do you kill a gut shot hog quickly. Because finding a wounded hog is tough. The farther they go the harder it gets. I think the 400's are probably the answer. J E I have been thinking about a 7 STW for hunting and that 520 yard shot. How far have you shot a hog with it. What were the results. Also what are your thoughts on my bounce problem.

The longest shot on a hog with the 7 STW was 819 yards Head on. I hit a little high and hit him in the top of the head and the partition traveled full length and took his tail Off. I opened him up like a plow had went down his back. He hit the ground dead.

The 7 STW has enough energy at most distances that I can hit them, The trajectory is very flat, And with the right bullet, you can line up several hogs and take down 3 or 4 with one shot.

I am not sure that you will stop the bounce problem because of the ATV tires. I rigged up a portable stand that mounted on a 4 wheeler and when erected, it placed the rifle 10 ft off the ground. The tires had so much movement I had to rig up some out riggers that went to the ground and locked down. Once I did that it was very steady and made climbing in to it better. Once I was through hunting, the out riggers simply folded up out of the way for travel.

J E CUSTOM

Man I would have loved to have found that one I hit at 520 before the Buzzards had their way. Wow!" Opened it like a plow." What bullet are you using? The tires. I would have never thought that. I thought it was because I was not prone. But thinking about it. It does not happen when your sitting at the range. Thanks! We have started stepping out of the Bad Boy and setting up on a Primos tri pod.

I was a little disappointed in the 230 Berger. The hog at 226 yards was hit in the rear ham. It spun him 270 degrees, killed him within about 50 yards, but did not exit. The bullet at that range was traveling 2731 fps and hit him with 3810 ft-lbs. Unthinkable. Soaking up that kind of energy and kept on truckin'.

I also don't like the Berger for pigs I feel they are to soft. But that's what makes them so great at long range. I hit one perfect with my 338 lapua and it ran 40 yards with a basket ball sized hole out of it

The comparison of hogs to rhinos is a pretty good one and bullets "MUST" also be tough.

Before the bonded core bullets, the Swift A frame or the Partition worked best for me On hogs.

The bullet I was using at the time was a Partition. I still prefer it when distances are normally
under 4 or 500 yards. For the longer shots I like the bonded bullets because they will still expand
at extreme ranges but stay together. Bullet BC's are not as important as bullet Performance on hogs as long as the accuracy is there.

At long distance the bullet has to hold together and any bonded core bullet works well for hogs
and my "preference" is the Accubond. Velocity Is also important, and the 7 STW can/will deliver.

J E CUSTOM

RHINOS, yes I think so. Go back and look at FANG. Then go back and look at the great hog stx shot. The short stocky body, the humped up thick muscular shoulders, and the snout with vicious fangs. As about as close as you can get. Remember we were hunting in TOTAL darkness. Therefore, a bullet when misplaced still needed to take a big hog down quickly. Stumbling around in the dark in a cedar thicket looking for a six foot wounded hog was just crazy. Plus it wasted a lot of time we could have been hunting.

Our hogs down here in South Texas must not be nearly as tough as some of these y'all are talking about! We've killed 100s and 100s and 100s of them over the last 30+ years on the country where I run my Hunting Operation with all types of deer rifles, as well as with a bow as the one I posted earlier in this thread(attached again). Obviously, if possible, they're shot in the ear or somewhere in the head, but that's not usually the case, especially with the kids that hunt with me.....they're usually shot square in the shoulder...DRT! I shot one a little over 300 yds a couple of years ago with one of my 280s and a Barnes 120 gr TSX at a little over 3,000 fps..... shot him in the point of the front shoulder while he was looking at me and it exited the rear hip and jellied everything in between.....he never took a step, dropped in his tracks. When I was younger, in the "Wild Days" in South Texas, we hunted them a couple times a week at night with dogs and used only .22s or a knife to kill them after the dogs took them down.....pretty rough on dogs! And this year we'll probably kill another 30-50 with anything from bow to 243 to 300 WM. They're not that hard to kill.....Not Ours Anyway!

Just to clarify.....I didn't shoot this hog! It was shot by one of my hunters!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.