Votes: 41 21.1%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 21 10.8%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Less than 50%

Votes: 33 17.0%

• Total voters
I am sure the other disiplines have very good wind readers but have shot in switchy wind enough to know it is not possible to guess the wind within 1/2 moa 100% of the time ,also the 100 shot challenge does not shoot all the shots at 600 yds, the closer shots will be lots easier. I still think 100 out of 100 may be close to impossible to acheive
I think for many shooters it would be difficult, but I can never say impossible. Since it would be unknown what the winds, or lack thereof, would be on any given day this attempt would be made, its an unknown. Same goes for any given day of any type of rifle match, and yet, many incredible groups get shot anyway.

There was a time many of us old timers thought a 5", 1,000yd BR group was near impossible, but as we know, that fell sometime ago and routinely since. Similar with 600yd groups in various disciplines.

All this concern about 600 yard milk jugs🤔 I like to spot and stalk them with a trad bow "15 yard shots" the only thing holding me back is the fear of getting accidentally shot by some backfire clown hammering away from 600 yards🤪

I think for many shooters it would be difficult, but I can never say impossible. Since it would be unknown what the winds, or lack thereof, would be on any given day this attempt would be made, its an unknown. Same goes for any given day of any type of rifle match, and yet, many incredible groups get shot anyway.

There was a time many of us old timers thought a 5", 1,000yd BR group was near impossible, but as we know, that fell sometime ago and routinely since. Similar with 600yd groups in various disciplines.
I would agree with you that impossible is incorrect but I think highly, very highly, improbable is correct. When I watched the video I noticed the fair breeze blowing and as his challenge is being done in a fairly open part of Utah it is possible but unlikely for it to be a windless day. In all of the disciplines mentioned sighters are used because as you know each different range responds different to the wind so sighters allow us to shoot one down and find out what the conditions look like and as you know it would be very rare for competators to shoot their first sighter in a windy condition in the x ring ,not by any means unheard of but also not even close to a 100% chance. also field conditions will thin down the playing field as over 95% of shooters don't practice anywhere near enough in field positions

But doing it with a 7 1/2 lb rifle under field conditions is very difficult in my opinion. For years I tried to get a 6 lb titantium action rifle to shoot tight groups and am still trying. My friend whos father was a champion benchrest shooter told me that out of 100 very good shooters, you might find a handful that can hold under an inch with a 6 lb rifle in the field.

I have shot a fair amount of LR varmint silhouette with targets from 276 -714 and for a shooter to go 100/100 on a challenge such as this would be quite a feat, the change in environment from target to target and throughout the day would almost certainly eliminate almost everyone.

I would love to do that challenge for sure. Looks fun. 2 weeks ago I took 2 rifles to a 3 day shooting at a ranch and went 92% on the targets. 600-1380 yards max. Up to 10 shot strings. Most were 5. Wind varied over those 3 days. First day wind was 14 - 20 mph average from a 10 am position. When you have a 6 to 8 moa correction on a target thats 24"x24" your ratio decreases slightly (a lot) lol. Last two days were calm and you could really eat up the pongs!!! No way under some of those conditions you get those kind of hit ratios though.

Last edited:
I couldn't do it because I rarely ever shoot 100 rounds in a single session. LOL.

And If I'm keeping it to 600 yards and less, I'd be shooting something like a 6BR to make it less abusive on myself.

Not with all my hunting rifles but with probably 6 of them I could easily make the 100/100. Beyond 600 tho, I'd be a tough call. Maybe a couple of them I could out to 800 but that's about it. 1000 I could with one of them and at 1200, that'd be close to impossible. We can't control the environmental conditions so this would be the hitch.

it's always a funny dichotomy. Some of the top shooters in the nation are pretty adamant that this is nigh impossible, while quite a few posters are 100% sure they would nail this without a problem. I'd be curious to see how it worked out for those who are positive they would clean this challenge.

From his video this would be a tough challenge. Different distances/angles/terrain - which all plays in to being accurate.

If this was all a consistent 600 yards at a single stationary target and you could use a front rest, then maybe

But even with that, for me I'd lose my focus/patience shooting 100 rounds in a row at the same thing.

Doubtful any top shooters in the nation would even consider a 6"x8" target to be any kind of challenge at 600 yards(In ideal conditions). Most could set their gun in the front and rear rest, adjust the cross hairs to the target and not even look thru the scope or shoulder the rifle for half those hits on a target that size. This I'm pretty sure of. When many of those same top shooters are shooting <.5 minute groups at 1000 yards with ease, it's not a matter of theory vs practice. Shooting conditions(environmental)are what will cause a failure to most if not all shooters. A 6" steel plate is smaller than a gallon jug and it's pretty easy to ring from 600 yards regularly in calm conditions. I'm far from a one of the " Top Shooters" in the nation but this size steel plate sits out at 600 yards on my range and it's been replaced a couple times from abuse. I will say that many shooters groups don't really constitute a group unless it's 10 shots rather than 3 or 5. Lots of rifles are .25" guns until the group is a 10 shot group. Suddenly the .25" group moves up a bit to the .75-1.0" group.

Recent Posts