#1 best tip for new shooters trying to get into the long range game!

Orange Dust

Funny thing about wind. In competition it is your friend. Hunting, it can turn on you and become the Devil.

Alex Wheeler

Dont forget that lighting changes like a cloud will move a bullet impact vertically. With as many variables Im amazed at how well we do. If anyone tells you its easy, they dont have much experience.

Canhunter35

Dont forget that lighting changes like a cloud will move a bullet impact vertically. With as many variables Im amazed at how well we do. If anyone tells you its easy, they dont have much experience.
how does one calculate lighting changes before they happen? I’ve been duped often on the elr shooting with it often? Dusk and dawn seem when this effect is the most pronounced

Alex Wheeler

If you figure that one out, let us know. I see it often running the line at the 1k BR matches in Missoula. Everyone is sighted in well, then we change targets which takes about 20 seconds. Meanwhile a cloud comes by and everyones groups are a minute high. A 1 moa change can happen at 1k in seconds.

Canhunter35

If you figure that one out, let us know. I see it often running the line at the 1k BR matches in Missoula. Everyone is sighted in well, then we change targets which takes about 20 seconds. Meanwhile a cloud comes by and everyones groups are a minute high. A 1 moa change can happen at 1k in seconds.
Lol that’s what I thought, but wondered if you guys had figured out how to calculate light refraction

Overkill338

Practice. Practice a lot as much as you can. Even at 100 yards. I notice after a few months of not shooting during my busy season that I lose a lot of trigger control. This time of year I don’t go two days without the range and it’s shows. I have a buddy who really wants to get into long range. I coach him all the time but he only wants to show up twice a year and try and buy his way into taking game at 1000.
I’m really glad he hit the range before going because it crushes his confidence enough to stay within 200 yards. But every year he tries to buy a new rifle that will do it for him.
I'm just beginning myself and I believe you said it all. I'm just trying to learn to read wind accurately.

But there is always somebody that will think they can buy a skill.

jgs8163

LRH Team Member
Looking at some your other posts and the equipment you’ve purchased you appear to be quite up to speed on everything. Looks like you just need to practice at long ranges since you have the short range down. These below are some very nicely equipped rifles you have, nice optics, cans, stocks, actions, etc.... good luck on breaking them in at the longer ranges. That’s a nice short barreled 6.5 Creedmoor you have, is that the Mausingfield action or the Nucleus? Did it come with a man-bun and skinny jeans?

Attachments

Last edited:

nt7332

It is a mausingfield. And it did not come with man bun or skinny jeans lol. U have. To send in for those with proof of purchase!

jgs8163

LRH Team Member
DA1BC156-90C8-497C-B921-508FA2E55A3C.jpeg

It is a mausingfield. And it did not come with man bun or skinny jeans lol. U have. To send in for those with proof of purchase!
I have the nucleus in a very similar setup. No manbun or skinny jeans either.

nt7332

This windrunner came with skinny jeans and a year of free coffee from the Starbucks. Good for everything except hot coffee and it mush have whip cream on top or offer is invalid lol
1B7F8B7D-6B5B-42D1-A724-5BD94B8798DB.jpeg

jgs8163

LRH Team Member
They fit on that bipod nicely I’m sure.

Last edited:

SealTeam4

Real world practice is key. When shooting paper and steel becomes mundane it’s time to get in the field. Where I live in TX we have a ton of hills and valleys. I’ll go out and place clay pigeons throughout the land scape. It’s a ton of fun! Another thing we do is go hunt little critters like rabbits and prairie dogs at long range.

Joe S

A picture for reference. Funny thing about west Texas. I can drive. Short distance in any direction and be in a totally different type of terrain!
5CD38027-63CA-4749-9661-ADADFC025A52.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Classifieds