#1 best tip for new shooters trying to get into the long range game!

New shooter and I read all the threads. A lot of valuable knowledge here built from lots of experience and money spent on gear. For a new shooter such as myself, what is the #1 tip to assist in the journey to long range shooting? Thanks in advance.
Master the wind.

Shooting a .308 with a heavy barrel is a good idea but I wouldn't get caught up in the 6.5 Creedmore craze just yet. Has anyone noticed all comparisons between 7.62 and 6.5 Creed the barrel of the 7.62 is 20 inches and the barrel on the 6.5 is 26 inches. Also, you might want to try the .224 Valkyrie, cost of ammo is reasonable.

Well glad it works for u. And yes I can carry a 20 lb rifle also all over the mountains but why? The problem comes when hunting big mountains solo and getting game and that rifle back out. Lots can do it but many are smart enough not to.
Not smart enough thats me just a mentally challenged old hill billy from the back woods of virginia.

My #1 tip.
Make absolutely certain that you focus your eyes on the cross hair, not both, not the target/animal. In the heat if the moment, particularly at long range, it's natural to see your game and crosshairs, both in a single, two dimensional plane.
It's the recipe for a miss.
This is the single best piece of advice I've garnered from lrh forum, grey fox mentioned a few years ago and it's bang on. It also why I used to shoot better groups at 600 than a 100 because I was focusing on the reticle with my wind hold vs the target at a 100

Well again thank you all for the tips and experience. I see a big trend here of simply practicing, checking gear for appropriate function and most of all learning the biggest obstacle shooters face and that is wind. I am going to get out and get some more trigger time using all these aspects mentioned. Thanks again everyone for your time and valuable expertise.

I've been thinking about this and probably the best advice I got when getting into long range hunting was from Shawn Carlock one day and that was to visualize the wind moving across the landscape like water, really changed how I break down a shot!

I agree that cheap equipment is not the way to start out, but there are good rifles in the $600 category and scopes around the same that will produce quarter to half inch groups at 100 yards. Then practice.

Well again thank you all for the tips and experience. I see a big trend here of simply practicing, checking gear for appropriate function and most of all learning the biggest obstacle shooters face and that is wind. I am going to get out and get some more trigger time using all these aspects mentioned. Thanks again everyone for your time and valuable expertise.
good luck. It is a lot of fun, challenging, and addictive. Sorry i doubted you.

The #1 topic thats not discussed enough is wind. Reading the wind is something that you learn by doing. Its also a perishable skill. Constant practice. You should learn something from every shot you fire. Theres ALWAYS wind, whether you can see it or not. In the field as well as in competition, mirage is your best tool. Learn to read it, use your optics focus to see it at different ranges. When you go to make the shot on an animal, there should be no surprise you made a good shot. You should know exactly where your bullet will hit. Hold yourself to a higher level.

Speaking of wind: yesterday I was shooting an 18" plate at 1700 yds, super calm, 3-4mph wind from 4:30, overcast, when the sun popped from the clouds, the wind gusts became much more pronounced, I'm assuming from the sun warming the air.

Didn't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned a time or 10:
Get a coach/mentor/instructor if possible. Dry fire and practice may instill bad habits, which may be counterproductive. And not one that says "You have to do it 100% like this", what works for one doesn't always work for the masses.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.