#1 best tip for new shooters trying to get into the long range game!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by nt7332, Nov 9, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. nt7332

nt7332 Well-Known Member

Thank u sir for your input. I have been trying a lot of different things lately. Shooting off tires, barricades etc. definitely is eye opening at the level of difficulty but everyone of these makes bipod and rear bag shooting a walk on the park.
    E6709929-E997-41AA-B293-3BE6F147B141.jpeg

2. CLL

CLL Active Member

#1 enjoy the journey , shoot often with with goals that are realistic .

nt7332 likes this.
  3. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

Master the wind.

4. Gregory Odum

Gregory Odum New Member

Shooting a .308 with a heavy barrel is a good idea but I wouldn’t get caught up in the 6.5 Creedmore craze just yet. Has anyone noticed all comparisons between 7.62 and 6.5 Creed the barrel of the 7.62 is 20 inches and the barrel on the 6.5 is 26 inches. Also, you might want to try the .224 Valkyrie, cost of ammo is reasonable.

5. robert l

robert l Well-Known Member

Not smart enough thats me just a mentally challenged old hill billy from the back woods of virginia.

nt7332 likes this.
  6. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

This is the single best piece of advice I’ve garnered from lrh forum, grey fox mentioned a few years ago and it’s bang on. It also why I used to shoot better groups at 600 than a 100 because I was focusing on the reticle with my wind hold vs the target at a 100

nt7332 likes this.
  7. nt7332

nt7332 Well-Known Member

Well again thank you all for the tips and experience. I see a big trend here of simply practicing, checking gear for appropriate function and most of all learning the biggest obstacle shooters face and that is wind. I am going to get out and get some more trigger time using all these aspects mentioned. Thanks again everyone for your time and valuable expertise.

PredatorSlayer likes this.
  8. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this and probably the best advice I got when getting into long range hunting was from Shawn Carlock one day and that was to visualize the wind moving across the landscape like water, really changed how I break down a shot!

JCow14, Alex Wheeler and nt7332 like this.
  9. Crusty Buck

Crusty Buck Well-Known Member

I agree that cheap equipment is not the way to start out, but there are good rifles in the $600 category and scopes around the same that will produce quarter to half inch groups at 100 yards. Then practice.

10. Orange Dust

Orange Dust Well-Known Member

good luck. It is a lot of fun, challenging, and addictive. Sorry i doubted you.

nt7332 likes this.
  11. nt7332

nt7332 Well-Known Member

U are good brother and thank you for your help!

Orange Dust likes this.
  12. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Well-Known Member

The #1 topic thats not discussed enough is wind. Reading the wind is something that you learn by doing. Its also a perishable skill. Constant practice. You should learn something from every shot you fire. Theres ALWAYS wind, whether you can see it or not. In the field as well as in competition, mirage is your best tool. Learn to read it, use your optics focus to see it at different ranges. When you go to make the shot on an animal, there should be no surprise you made a good shot. You should know exactly where your bullet will hit. Hold yourself to a higher level.

Windntail and bigngreen like this.
  13. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

Speaking of wind: yesterday I was shooting an 18” plate at 1700 yds, super calm, 3-4mph wind from 4:30, overcast, when the sun popped from the clouds, the wind gusts became much more pronounced, I’m assuming from the sun warming the air.

Hand Skills and Alex Wheeler like this.
  14. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Didn’t read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned a time or 10:
    Get a coach/mentor/instructor if possible. Dry fire and practice may instill bad habits, which may be counterproductive. And not one that says “You have to do it 100% like this”, what works for one doesn’t always work for the masses.