getting into the long range game.

tracker12ga

I have had several single shot rifles in the past and have had some good experiences with them, but I have taken the plunge into the bolt arena and wanting to get into some longer ranges. I just got a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 and will be installing a basix trigger, a Millet TSR-1 scope mounted on a one piece DNZ mount, and will be putting a bell and carson duramaxx stock on it. I will also be shooting reloads.

I really am looking into the long range ground hog and predator area of this as I understand that the 7mm-08 might not give the FPE needed for big game past 400/500 yds. Was just wondering if I was going in the right direction with my caliber choice and weapon configuration? Any comments would be appreciated.

Nothing wrong with the 7-08. It will easily get you to 1K with the 162g amax, 168g vld. Not sure if your mag length will allow you to use these bullets as repeaters, but they'll work as a single shot for LR shooting.

The 7-08 will easily kill deer at 600-700 yards with a variety of 140g-160g bullets. Dont know if you plan to use it on elk or not, but I woudln't hesitate to use it on elk at 400-500 yards with say a 160g ab or partition. For groundhogs, look at the 120g b-tip. That will easily get you to 600-700 yards.

The 7-08 is a great cartrdige to get into LR shooting with. Its a lot better then the 308 IMO. Its a lot more forgiving in both trajectory and wind drift with the superior BC that 7mm has over 30. Its very accurate, mild on the shoulder, easy on the pocketbook.

I myself wouldn't mind getting a savage stevens in 7-08 for a backup all around truck gun for everything from coyotes through elk.

Thanx for the reply rem man. I have a fascination with the 7mm bullets and their peformance. And while the 300mgas and even the 7mags are fast and far shooters, I was looking for something that I could shoot alot of and be easy on the pocket book.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.