Getting in the revolver game

You can buy bullets with gas checks all ready installed and reasy
Gas check base is part of the bullet mold. You simply install them when you size and lubes the bullet. It crimps the gas check onto the base of the bullet. They help minimize the lead build up in your barrel if it's a bit rough or when shooting heavy loads.

to go. You use them just like any other projectile when reloading. Hum! My insert quote technique needs work.

I saw those. I was just on midway looking at the cast performance bullets. So if you're gonna run cast bullets hard then you need the gas check to prevent excessive leading right?

It helps alot. Really depends on how hard your cast bullets are. Big difference between 44 mag and 500 S&W. Also depends on rate of fire and how much shooting you do. I used to shoot 2-5000 rounds a season.

That is a significant amount of revolver shooting. On the topic of big revolvers what is your opinions on the 460 vs 500 for hand gun hunting? Is there any significant advantage that one has over the other for hunting purposes

I had both and I'd take the 500 over the 460 every time. I'm an iron sight and heavy bullet guy, so the extra velocity and flatter trajectory of the 460 doesn't offer much in my book. If you were going to scope the revolver and use expanding bullets I think the 460 would offer some advantages.

I think right now there are more bullet options in 45 cal than 50 but that will change in time. Ijust got my 500 and scoped it and can see it has alot of potential. Mine is a performance center model. I have only loaded 325gr bullets and recoil is managable but they will require more practice then a smaller revolver.

I have a suggestion based on years of hunting with a .454. My favorite load was a 240 grain Freedom Arms bullet at 2,014 feet per second. I killed some deer with it and lots of jack rabbits; many running. My longest shot was 206 long steps. With that to establish some credibility I make this suggestion. I guess I was shooting it with one hand for holding but not for supporting it.

I would put my left elbow against my chest. The left hand supported the pistol grip on the fat part of the palm down from the pinky finger. (The first time I fired it with the pistol grip IN the palm it really hurt. It came back before it started up.) The right hand held the back of the revolver so the it was about 10" from my face. This system allowed 6" groups at 100 yards from offhand. There were many times I fired five shots under 2" at 100 yards from the bench. While testing different loads and bullets I fired a twelve shot group with a vertical dispersion of 4" and a horizontal dispersion of 2".

I use powder coated Missouri Bullets rather than gas checks. Seems to work where I've tried it. Recovered bullets have intact powder coat on the base.

I hunted with a Dan Wesson .44 mag for a while. My favorite load was a 300 grain CPB WFNGC with 22 grains of H110. Shot a 500+ lb B&C black bear with that load. I hit him twice in the right shoulder as he faced me and found both bullets under the hide at the back of the left hind quarter. They penetrated around 6' of bear. Now shooting a Freedom Arms .454. Best load I've found is the 300 grain XTP magnum bullet and 31.1 grain of H110. I use a 3 moa Vortex Venom and get around 3 moa at 100 yds off the bench. Have killed 3 elk with this load and a pile of marmots, the furthest being 212 yds. I've been shooting off crossed tomato stakes for a rest and going to a homemade rest on a tripod this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts