Getting into long range hunting ?'s 6.5x284

I have never used a Buckmaster, and it's been quite a while since I used a Burris, but this has been my experience in general. For long range shooting you simply must have turrets that are repeatable, and if they are precisely calibrated, say .25 MOA, that is a real plus. If the reticle moves some random number, say .277 MOA, you can figure out what that is, but it makes dialing in corrections that much more complicated down the road.
Virtually all of the low cost scopes I have tried were unsuitable for precision long range shooting. Another factor is low cost variable scopes seem to have a much higher incidence of failure, as opposed to fixed power scopes. As I stated earlier, the Weaver target scopes used to have a good reputation as a good, precision, scope. Another that might be worth a look are the SWFA brand of scopes. I have never used this brand, but I have read a lot about them and the reviews almost invariably state they are very rugged and precise. SWFA's web site shows fixed power scopes from $300-$400.
I would use google and look for reviews on the scopes you are interested, but not just any review, you want to see what long range shooters are saying. One of the best places to search is on this very site.
You can get by with less that Schmidt Bender optics, or 32X, or even 50MM lenses, but a scope that does not track right will only lead to hate and discontent.

The Nikon Buckmaster is very repeatable. Some don't like it's 1/8 MOA clicks. I do. I have found them easy to use and their finer adjustment has been helpful in getting zeroed exactly where I want to be at a given distance. It is a solid scope. To beat it, you would have to spend three or four times the asking price for the Nikon.

I have a SWFA 10x scope. It is decent for what it is and for the money. However, for about the same money, I can have a Nikon variable with nearly twice the magnification. The Nikon is a lot more practical for hunting purposes than any fixed SWFA.

I have shot my Nikon alongside a Zeiss Conquest that I have mounted on another rifle. I love my Zeiss scopes. They have excellent glass. I have great confidence in them. They are better scopes than the Nikon, but not by a lot. My Zeiss scopes are a nice upgrade. But, at more than twice the price of the Nikon, they are a luxury that is nice to have rather than an optical or mechanical necessity.

The real key when one is shopping for optics on a budget is to be able to identify something that is a good value as opposed to an item that is simply cheap. There are a lot of cheap scopes on the market. There are very few scopes that are a good value.

The SWFA scopes are an example of a good value. The Nikon Buckmaster that I mentioned is another such example. Of course, I am sure that other examples exist that are within the OP's budget. Those are two that I have experience with. Of the two, I would take the Nikon. At some point I plan to replace my SWFA. I have no such plans for the Nikon. In fact, I plan to buy a couple more of the same model.

I would highly recommend the fixed power SWFA ss scopes. I have to 10X's and one 16X. I have found the glass to be acceptable but the repeatability is top notch. I have hunted with the 10X for years and it has survived three rifles and is still doing awesome. I have shot over 1,000 yards with them and they have always returned to zero. For the money you can't beat it. Many times SWFA has great deals on black friday.

Last edited:
I used to shoot a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18. It's a great scope for the money. Customer service is top notch. I had a problem with mine after 2yrs of hard use. I sent it to them with the premise I needed a replacement for a hunt within a week of sending it to them. They delivered no questions asked. I couldn't have been happier. My cousin bought one and has it on his 300WSM. It would be a good purchase. I could see groundhogs at 1100yds no problem. There is going to be enough elevation in that scope if you use a 20MOA rail. With the 6.5x284 and its ballistics, 1200 to maybe 1300yds shouldn't be an issue.

Tank

Completely off subject:
"arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!"
Well said Tank. (grin)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.