“My rifle shoots .2s and .3s” ... huh?

At 500 yards, a 3 shot group of 1" is still only in the 2s! And to claim to do that consistently..... I wouldn't call the guy a liar, but I definitely wouldn't believe him until I saw some proof, nor would I expect him to believe me

The reason I test/group a rifle is for it's accuracy. All i want to know is what is the best it will do. I do all of my accuracy and load work up test at 100 yards and Off a good solid rest To minimize outside conditions that can change and effect the data and be repeatable. When I use a lead sled, I don't add any weight(It already weighs enough to make it steady).

By testing this way I am proving the accuracy and consistency of the 'rifle'. Everyone has a bad day, and I try to eliminate that part of the equation. When siting in I try to duplicate the hunting conditions that will be encountered, And when I shot matches I did the same by shooting from the different positions. The outcome is always different depending what kind of day I'm having.

With all testing done under as near perfect conditions, I know what the rifle is capable of and if i do my part it will be reasonably close but not as good so it puts pressure on me to do my best. Many of my hunting rifles are sited in at 2 and 300 yards under field conditions but are still tested and sighted in initially at 100 yards for ultimate accuracy so wind, mirage,site picture, rest and other things are at there best, and mostly eliminated separating the rifles ability from the shooters ability.

When I have a rifle that will shoot In the .1s and .2s it places all the blame on the shooter for a poor shot and buy eliminating the rifles ability the pressure and planing is all on the shooter.

The best group I have ever shot is a .034 @ 100 yards. I have hunted with this rifle and in field conditions a 1/2 MOA is very possible. Another philosophy of mine when I competed was to compete against my self not the others. I already knew what my rifle would do, so I tried to live up to it's ability and paid no attention to what others were shooting. This proved to be the best way to win because I knew what the rifle could do if I stepped up my game.

As I have posted before, I now have 5 rifles that will consistently shoot below the .1s
can I do that in the field, certainly not but it can do very well and occasionally will be a perfect shot. Unfortunately you cant measure one shot so you just have to consider where your POA was in relation to the POI is/was. I have memories of great hunts and most were because of great shots. there is something about not only making a good instant kill shot with a well aimed and placed hit, but hitting exactly where you aimed.

One of the other up sides of this method of testing, is that If I go to the range with one of these proven shooters and cant shoot a 1 moa or less group I instantly know I am having a bad day. so I lay it down and pick up another rifle of equal potential and shoot it. the second rifle will tell me quickly if it is me, or I have something wrong with the first rifle and can check for problems. I have already eliminated the loads and the barrel quality so first I look for lose mounts or bedding screws because they can change.

I know and believe that a person can shoot below a 100 thousandth group under ideal conditions but even then It will be hard to repeat, but the rifle did it and there is potential for it to do it again. So many things effect the accuracy of a rifle, all you can do is find out what "it" is capable of. and work on your skills.

J E CUSTOM

The reason I test/group a rifle is for it's accuracy. All i want to know is what is the best it will do. I do all of my accuracy and load work up test at 100 yards and Off a good solid rest To minimize outside conditions that can change and effect the data and be repeatable. When I use a lead sled, I don't add any weight(It already weighs enough to make it steady).

By testing this way I am proving the accuracy and consistency of the 'rifle'. Everyone has a bad day, and I try to eliminate that part of the equation. When siting in I try to duplicate the hunting conditions that will be encountered, And when I shot matches I did the same by shooting from the different positions. The outcome is always different depending what kind of day I'm having.

With all testing done under as near perfect conditions, I know what the rifle is capable of and if i do my part it will be reasonably close but not as good so it puts pressure on me to do my best. Many of my hunting rifles are sited in at 2 and 300 yards under field conditions but are still tested and sighted in initially at 100 yards for ultimate accuracy so wind, mirage,site picture, rest and other things are at there best, and mostly eliminated separating the rifles ability from the shooters ability.

When I have a rifle that will shoot In the .1s and .2s it places all the blame on the shooter for a poor shot and buy eliminating the rifles ability the pressure and planing is all on the shooter.

The best group I have ever shot is a .034 @ 100 yards. I have hunted with this rifle and in field conditions a 1/2 MOA is very possible. Another philosophy of mine when I competed was to compete against my self not the others. I already knew what my rifle would do, so I tried to live up to it's ability and paid no attention to what others were shooting. This proved to be the best way to win because I knew what the rifle could do if I stepped up my game.

As I have posted before, I now have 5 rifles that will consistently shoot below the .1s
can I do that in the field, certainly not but it can do very well and occasionally will be a perfect shot. Unfortunately you cant measure one shot so you just have to consider where your POA was in relation to the POI is/was. I have memories of great hunts and most were because of great shots. there is something about not only making a good instant kill shot with a well aimed and placed hit, but hitting exactly where you aimed.

One of the other up sides of this method of testing, is that If I go to the range with one of these proven shooters and cant shoot a 1 moa or less group I instantly know I am having a bad day. so I lay it down and pick up another rifle of equal potential and shoot it. the second rifle will tell me quickly if it is me, or I have something wrong with the first rifle and can check for problems. I have already eliminated the loads and the barrel quality so first I look for lose mounts or bedding screws because they can change.

I know and believe that a person can shoot below a 100 thousandth group under ideal conditions but even then It will be hard to repeat, but the rifle did it and there is potential for it to do it again. So many things effect the accuracy of a rifle, all you can do is find out what "it" is capable of. and work on your skills.

J E CUSTOM
What cartridges?

I tend to shoot groups off a front bag/rear bag. If I go to a bipod/rear bag I know they are going to be bigger and bipod only they will get even bigger.

I think the whole concept of what a rifle can do vs what the shooter can do is often intermixed but they are very different. My good rifles can shoot under an moa and some around .5 or even less but I on the other hand tend to make the groups bigger no matter how hard the rifle tries.

During load development, I'm always using a Sinclair benchrest front rest and Edgewood rear bag. I'm trying to find what the rifle is capable of doing. I do get .3's and .4's but those are the exception. Typically, I'm shooting .5's - .7's or even 8's. Does that mean it's a .3 rifle? Probably not.

I use a front rest w/bag and rear bag for all my load development. I tried the mechanical / lead sled type shooting rest years ago and decided they would not repeat consistently enough for my purposes. I used a bipod a few years ago but just drifted away from it.
bags front and rear for load development to eliminate as much shooter error as possible. You want to see what the rifle will do/loads...

For the last several years or so most all of my load development/testing is done using a bipod, generally off a bench and prone with a rear bag. This seems to give me a decent representation of what I can expect in the field...my goal for a hunting rig is <.5MOA. Shown: Bench and prone with bipod at 200 yards.
9C065E09-0414-4126-A726-19FE3723B355.jpeg 37EF01FB-84D2-499E-92FE-1C17D41D5605.jpeg

Translations:

"My rifle shoots in the .2s" = if I fire enough shots, cross out the flyers, the ones I pulled, and the ones where the wind or sighting got me, sometimes I'll have 3 shots within .2

"My rifle shoots in the .2s if I do my bit" = I'm a poor shooter with delusions of grandeur and have never shot a group under 1", but I know my rifle shoots .2 even though I've never been able to prove it.

"My rifle shoots .x inches all day" = as soon as I get a .x inch group I put my gun away.

"I once shot a .x inch group, here's a photo to prove it" = I got lucky, thank god for camera phones!

"I just shot five consecutive 5-shot groups under .2 on the one target" = would you like to see my gold medal from the world benchrest championships?

All in jest my friends!

[EDIT - added another translation]

You forgot one really important one:

"The rifle is capable of .x" groups when I do my part" = I've never actually shot a decent group but but if you take out the 15 called fliers there's a bughole in there somewhere.

Curious here...

Since it is common for folks to speak of their barrel/rifle's accuracy in terms of group size, I'm curious whether most folks are speaking of groups shot off a solid rest (and reporting mechanical, repeatable accuracy), or off a bipod/bag and reporting the effective accuracy of the "system", which includes shooter.

I don't have access to a sled to lock down my rifle. So when I do load development I'm shooting off a bipod, thereby inducing some shooter error.

When you report your barrel's accuracy on this forum, which method did you use to get that group—solid rest or bipod/bag?
I use a less expensive front rest from Caldwell with a 4" owl ear bag from Protektor and a Protektor rabbit ear with carry handle on the rear our benches are concrete with an indoor/outdoor carpet on top of that shoots one hole groups at 200 with a .223

Curious here...

Since it is common for folks to speak of their barrel/rifle's accuracy in terms of group size, I'm curious whether most folks are speaking of groups shot off a solid rest (and reporting mechanical, repeatable accuracy), or off a bipod/bag and reporting the effective accuracy of the "system", which includes shooter.

I don't have access to a sled to lock down my rifle. So when I do load development I'm shooting off a bipod, thereby inducing some shooter error.

When you report your barrel's accuracy on this forum, which method did you use to get that group—solid rest or bipod/bag?
Bipod and rear bag. I also don't care about 100 yard groups at all. I use close groups for zeroing. I do care about 300 plus, usually 500ish is my goal for groups. Have had way too many bug holes at 100 with crappy es/sd.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.