“My rifle shoots .2s and .3s” ... huh?

new2mud

Curious here...

Since it is common for folks to speak of their barrel/rifle's accuracy in terms of group size, I'm curious whether most folks are speaking of groups shot off a solid rest (and reporting mechanical, repeatable accuracy), or off a bipod/bag and reporting the effective accuracy of the "system", which includes shooter.

I don't have access to a sled to lock down my rifle. So when I do load development I'm shooting off a bipod, thereby inducing some shooter error.

When you report your barrel's accuracy on this forum, which method did you use to get that group—solid rest or bipod/bag?

Curious here...

Since it is common for folks to speak of their barrel/rifle's accuracy in terms of group size, I'm curious whether most folks are speaking of groups shot off a solid rest (and reporting mechanical, repeatable accuracy), or off a bipod/bag and reporting the effective accuracy of the "system", which includes shooter.

I don't have access to a sled to lock down my rifle. So when I do load development I'm shooting off a bipod, thereby inducing some shooter error.

When you report your barrel's accuracy on this forum, which method did you use to get that group—solid rest or bipod/bag?
Bipod and bag.

I have a hard time believing these statements without pics of a full session to show consistent performance. We can all shoot a group in the 2s once every trip, but the majority of the time, not so much.
Depends on the type of rifle and distance. And yes you are right about consistent ability to shoot in the .2s at even 100 yards, but I have one rifle (6.5 X47) that has about 300 rounds through it and it has never shot a three shot group greater than in the 4s...so it is possible.

I think the use of both lead sled and bipod/bags are important. When I'm load developing I like to use the sled to remove human error. Once I get a load that will consistently get small numbers I go to the bipod and rear bag. That way I know flyers and opening groups are my fault and not the gun. Heck, I'll even shoot a couple free hand just to make sure I can still at least hit a deer sized target at 100 yds if the moment arises and I don't have a rest.

Curious here...

A lot of this has to do with the shooter, trigger pull, shoulder and grip will play a lot into your groups. We all have had the trigger jerk to watch the bullet drift, takes a lot of practice, with great triggers and great muscle memory on shouldering and breathing. That is my opinion.

Depends on the type of rifle and distance. And yes you are right about consistent ability to shoot in the .2s at even 100 yards, but I have one rifle (6.5 X47) that has about 300 rounds through it and it has never shot a three shot group greater than in the 4s...so it is possible.
First, you are lucky to have such a shooter. Not saying they don't happen. I just need proof when someone claims to shoot consistently in the 2s. I've seen some on here claim the 0s and 1s.
Btw, love the 6.5-47. Great cartridge

Last edited:
First, you are lucky to have such a shooter. Not saying they don't happen. I just need proof when someone claims to shoot consistently in the 2s. I've seen some on here claim the 0s and 1s.
Agree. Just like those folks that say than can shoot 3 or 4 inch or better groups at 1K. Look at what most BR shooters are able to achieve at that distance and the term BS will popup in your mind.

Whoever says thier rifle shoots .2's and .3's, offer them $100 to do it for 5 shots on demand. I suspect you will keep your $100 bill for quite a while.

People exaggerate, or they have the most favorable definition possible (e.g. I shot a .2" 3 round group once, therefore my rifle shoots "2's" if I do my part)

Whoever says thier rifle shoots .2's and .3's, offer them $100 to do it for 5 shots on demand. I suspect you will keep your $100 bill for quite a while.

People exaggerate, or they have the most favorable definition possible (e.g. I shot a .2" 3 round group once, therefore my rifle shoots "2's" if I do my part)
Yep I wouldn't take that bet

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.