zeiss or sightron??

mike33 said:
Thanks, i know thats one heck of a scope wondering about the 6.5x 20 though for light gathering.
mike

The Conquest 4.5-14 and 6.5-20 models both have 50 mm objectives. Depending on your age, your max pupil size is between 5 and 7 mm. Assuming it is 7 mm, the max magnification for fully dark adapted eyes is about 7X. Both models can reach as low as 7X, so there should be no difference I'm brightness at dusk and dawn.

There will be a difference in clarity at 7X, though, because veiling glare increases with magnification range. I would vote for the 4.5-14 model to get better image clarity. Also , 4.5X on the low side gives you a wider field of view and larger exit pupil for faster target acquisition at short range. Unless you are shooting small targets, or over 1,000 yds regularly, 14X on the high side is adequate for hunting big game.

On a Caribou hunt a few years ago I took my rifle out about 11pm and glassed a ridge line at 8 power over 600 yards away. Unbelievable. The guide asked to look thru it...he asked if I could hunt at night with that rifle....I said yes, but not legally. 6x20x50 Zeiss Conquest w/target turrets. I have a few of them now.

As stated earlier I went with the zeiss and ordered the 6.5-20x50.
It arrived yesterday, when I looked through it I was amazed at the quality of the glass.
I own 5 nikon monarch's and they are no comparison to the zeiss.
I'm not bad talking the nikons, I do consider them to be a good scope and I have been using them for a quite a few years but they are not in the same league as this zeiss.
I have a feeling I will be buying more of the zeiss scopes and phase out the nikons

It arrived yesterday, when I looked through it I was amazed at the quality of the glass.
I'm not bad talking the nikons, I do consider them to be a good scope and I have been using them for a quite a few years but they are not in the same league as this zeiss.
I have a feeling I will be buying more of the zeiss scopes and phase out the nikons

Im a big Nikon fan too Paste...but like you when I looked through the Zeiss Counquest at a local GS I was blown away...the one you have with a mil dot is on my dream scope list..

Where did you get it and price?

i ordered it from SWFA they have it for $1099+ shipping they also have some on their sample list for $799 +shipping.
when i called to place my order i asked about the ones on the sample list and i was told they are sales demos and factory refurbs and they still have the same full lifetime warranty that all other ziess scopes have. so i decided to save a couple hundred bucks and ordered one from the sample list.
i have purchased a lot of scopes from SWFA and highly recommend them i think you will be happy with their customer service

i hope it doesnt get too much more expensive... it takes a little while for me to get some "ME" money....my wife and kid take all the toy money and leave me with the change :cool:

i hope it doesnt get too much more expensive... it takes a little while for me to get some "ME" money....my wife and kid take all the toy money and leave me with the change :cool:

Just don't take that peek. Once you get to top of the line Zeiss or Swarovski there is no going back. That being said, Conquest is a good scope and more than enough for most hunting in the US. Currently my only Conquest is a 3-12x56 and it's a very nice scope but my "problem" is that next to it is a 3-12x56T* Victory and a 6-24x56T* Victory FL.

Here is what you'll end up wanting if you have the same addiction as I do: Zeiss - Camera Land NY

i might have alittle bit of a problem trying to convince the wife i need to spend that much on a scope....but i may have to give it a try...lol:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.