Zeiss Conquest or Sightron Big Sky

blacktails

Anyone know how these two models compare for optics quality? I'm considering the Conquest 4.5-14x44 and the Big Sky 3-12x42 (non AO) for a new rifle. I can't find any locally to compare. I know the Conquest costs more and that their glass is very good, but the on-line comments I've found for the Sightron Big Sky models have been very glowing, with some saying their glass is at least the equal of the Conquests, but for a cheaper price. I don't want to pay more just for the Zeiss name if the quality is the same. Both have a lifetime warranty, though the Zeiss warranty is transferable. Thanks.

While I have not handled a Big Sky model I do own a Sightron SIII and I have been told it is the same glass. If so I would say the Big Sky. Just because of cost. The SIII glass is right on par with Zeiss and I would not hesitate to buy one to save money. On the other hand is is tie and matter of personal perference provided the cost is the same.

Thanks to all for the advice. I ended up getting a really great deal on the Conquest and it just arrived yesterday, so I'm set for my new rifle once I get the rest of the parts on hand. If I can swing the extra $, I'm going to go ahead and get one of the Big Sky models for my newly inherited 1950's era Model 70 Featherweight, which has a Weaver K4 from the same year. Should be a BIG improvement over the old K4.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.