Youth deer rifle.

I got my grandson a Tikka T3x Lite Compact in 243 and had a muzzle break installed. He was 7 at the time and the gun fit him with the options of spacers for the stock as he grows. He has never complained about recoil and got his first hog at age 7. IMG_0627work 3 small.jpg

I see a lot of good suggestions on this thread. Having worked or lead youth hunts for several years now, I've had the chance to observe the shooting capabilities of hundreds of beginners. Some of my observations:
  • Those who come with an AR platform (especially with adjustable stock) typically don't go home with empty coolers if the animals cooperate. 300 BLK and 6.8 SPC have both proven themselves. From my observations, I have to conclude the ergonomics and recoil management of this platform is just superior to everything else out there.
  • Suppressors boost confidence (a big factor in shooting ability). Suppressor combined with AR, even better.
  • Gun fit is paramount. It helps manage recoil and the ability to see through the scope easily. I made the mistake of buying my son the H&R rifle for his first one and neither of us could shoot it well because it wasn't comfortable to shoot. It might be for some kids, but not for either of us, and he wasn't that big at the time. I was 6'3", 225#, and I didn't like shooting it at all. Turned out the geometry was all wrong and amplified the perceived recoil. Limbsaver pad helped some here, but it still felt wrong for both of us. In spite of that, he took his first deer on his first hunt with perfect shot placement.
Regarding that last one, I recently had a dad call me night before the hunt: "..we got a problem..". He explained that his daughter was having a problem shooting the gun, possibly due to recoil. I had him bring the gun; I brought all 3 sizes of Limbsaver slip-ons plus my .257 Roberts just in case. At the bench, we fitted the pad first. After that, I could see she was clearly uncomfortable with something. She said she had a hard time seeing through the scope. I noticed it was turned to 9X, turned it down to 6X and had her try again: "That's great!" She proceeded to shoot the best target of the group. She was the first to fill a tag and also tagged one at 200 yards. I believe she had a .243 bolt gun. Yes, .243 can be intimidating to some; everyone is different in their perception of recoil. I've spent a lot of hours trailing bad .243 hits, but well-placed shots do the job every time in all of the calibers.

Above all, be patient with the kid. The hardest thing I've had to do is watch parents (both moms and dads) get impatient with the kid because they're still learning or they can't tolerate what they perceive as minimal recoil. Some parents are good at it, others aren't. Patience and observation on your part is a key factor in their learning experience. Make sure they're having fun.

jrthomasjr took the words right out of my mouth. The single biggest misconception out there is that small calibers, or guns marketed and sold as youth guns are the best things for youth. Fact is, most are short, thin barreled rifles that are very light weight. Short barrels make the gun louder, in most cases. Light weight rifles recoil more than heavy ones. Find a way to cut down the recoil, and find a way to cut down on the noise, and you are most of the way to a winning combination. Lastly, the fit has to be right. Guns that have an extremely long length of pull for a small stature person will only make it uncomfortable, and will mess up their sight picture.

I have done all of the following and all worked:
1. Buy an inexpensive 243 or 7mm-08 youth (I got a Tikka T3). Take the butt pad off and fill the butt stock with a bulk pack of bb's from Tractor supply store or wherever. it cost me $11 and added almost 4 lbs to the gun. That's a recoil reduction of almost 40% on that rifle. When the kid outgrows the rifle, or doesn't need the recoil reduction, put the BBs back in the container and put them to other good use. Also, Hornady makes an awesome Hornady Custom light load in both 243, and 7mm-08. Both shoot really well, and further reduce recoil. Still plenty of energy to kill deer out to a couple hundred yards.
2. My son shot his first buck with an AR in 450 BM. I installed a break on it, adjusted the stock to fit him well, and went to the blind with the $25 electronic ear muffs. They amplified all of the sounds around us, and made it possible to have good whisper conversations. Every squirrel sounded like a bull moose coming through the woods. My son still doesn't remember the gun going off, or the big boom. Just a dead deer, and a great memory. If you take away the muzzle brake on that caliber, or take away the hearing protection it could have been a different experience.
3. I have also taken one of my long range rifles out to the blind that is a heavy barrel threaded and has an adjustable (length) stock, and a suppressor. The gun is 13lbs with the scope. I simply carried the rifle for my son instead of having him lug it, and once in the blind, and propped up on the log in front of us, the weight was nothing but a help to being steady, and reducing recoil. The noise was obviously mitigated by the suppressor.

In short, there are many ways to skin the cat, and be successful, focus on reduceing recoil (even in small calibers), reduce noise, or over protect for it, and be sure the fit is right, one way or the other. Good Luck.

I have a beautiful Browning 243 lever action my dad gave me when I was 11. Wood stock was a perfect fit to thanks to a good gunsmith:). Very safe gun and now belongs to my son. Hope to become a family heirloom. He has harvested s few deer with this gun and can handle the recoil very well. A 243 is a superb round and can take down most deer in the north America. It's a great starter rifle.

So you are saying no kid under 10 should be allowed to hunt deer. That's wrong!!! Kids develop at different rates. The negative influence from the anti hunting and gun crowd gets stronger as they get older. Started them young as you can biased on their maturity level, with gear and choices based on their physicality.
I have both my grandsons shooting skeet this summer. Getting ready for duck season. one is 5 and the other 6. 20ga semi, 3/4oz shot, fast powder to keep velocity low and enough pressure to cycle. 20ga target loads kick too much. Regular rifle practice too, but working on shotgunning right now. Controlled environment at the gun club is perfect for teaching safe gun handling skills at any age. Anti hunting crowd doesn't have a chance around my family. They can pound sand. We start them young and shoot every day nearly. Kids develop at the rate they're taught. Success depends on the time you are willing to devote to it, their interests, and your ability to make it fun.

7-08 is tough to beat for youth , works great for adults as well at reasonable range .

I got a 7mm-08 for both my wife and my son in the Weatherby Vanguard, Camilla for the wife, and the standard for my son with an after market adjustable stock. Good for just about anything that walks here in Montana under 300 yards (Well, except for Grizzlies but we aren't hunting them!) which is a stretch for either of them. With a brake the recoil is less than a .243, extremely manageable.

My son is about 48.5 Inches and 50 lbs at 11, he is very small for his age. But it is still very comfortable for him to shoot.

I know the traditional dogma is to reach for the small cartridges like a 243 or a 6mm Rem for kids, but this is a long range website so I'll make an assumption this rifle might be used in a long range shooting situation. If your are willing to run a brake or suppressor sky's the limit for cartridge. Anyone can handle a 7 Rem Mag for example with a brake, and it's a very good proven long range cartridge and ammo for it widely available. You can even get it in South Africa without a lot of effort.

If you pick a rifle with Tikka or Rem 700 type type action you can easily re-stock it in the future when the child grows. There are tons of low cost quality stocks out there for Tikkas and 700 style actions. A wood stocked rifle would be easily modified to fit the child initially. There are other choices that have adjustable stocks like the Bergara B-14 HMR, which comes in 7 Rem Mag and is brake and suppressor ready. Is hefty to blunt some recoil. Fits all standard 700 stocks, and scope bases. Also, it has a 1 MOA guarretee.

I also feel like it's a good idea to give an inexperienced shooter more energy at the target in case their aim isn't as precise as it should be. It's the whole a .410 is an expert gun verses a 12 gauge is not.

Lots of good info here for the op for sure.

To the gentleman who said children under ten shouldn't own a centerfire rifle , sir I believe you should probably reevaluate your statement. I completely agree that kids should progress with firearms, but to state that they shouldn't hunt you've fell and bumped your noodle.
Both my sons owned a 223 H&R single shot by the time they were 5 yrs old. And were and still are proficient with them. I was with both my sons on opening morning of buck season that very year and both killed respectable bucks . The youngest one killed his at 50 yards drt. The oldest one about an hour later shot his at 120 yards it went straight down the hill about 40 yards and piled up. Both deer were shot with what I thought at that time was the best bullet for caliber a 60 gr Nosler Partition. If it were now I might consider a Barnes maybe but doubtful.
As for the op once my two sons hit 12 I got the older one a savage 7-08 he has flat killed a truck load of deer and black bear with it loading the 120 sierras. He calls them his whammy shells lol.
The youngest son at age 12 got a savage 260 and has done the same , tags out every year. I do not recommend 100 Nosler ballistic tips for it for deer hunting because it destroys lots of meat.

Both my sons have moved on up with calibers now the oldest inherited my dads German made 300 weatherby and absolutely loves shooting it. And the younger son hunts with my great uncles 300 win mag model 70.

Grandson turning 12 but expected to grow another foot. Will look at all options. Thanks.

Hands down a 6.5 creedmoor. If he's not going to be shooting past say 250 yards consider a Grendel. Both are far better calibers than a .243. I have pretty much all of them. I'd take the creedmoor over a .308 ever day of the week.

Happy Hunting!!
Harvey Durham

I have so much time behind a 7mm 08 I'd scare you with what I've done with it

...you can run the 140s or less while he's growing and then the 162s later down the road.

for example with 162 ELDM @ 2700 fps No problem first round hits at a mile and beyond. And it has the payload for elk out to 850/1000 yards.

I've run in PRS comps etc

here is a pick of my daughters gun shooting out past a mile just the other day....

Adj A3 McMillan LOP and cheek piece for the reasons we are talking about...

Attachments

• 20190512_135923.jpg
    20190512_135923.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 193
  • 20180903_112438.jpg
    20180903_112438.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
I have so much time behind a 7mm 08 I'd scare you with what I've done with it

...you can run the 140s or less while he's growing and then the 162s later down the road.

for example with 162 ELDM @ 2700 fps No problem first round hits at a mile and beyond. And it has the payload for elk out to 850/1000 yards.

I've run in PRS comps etc

here is a pick of my daughters gun shooting out past a mile just the other day....

Adj A3 McMillan LOP and cheek piece for the reasons we are talking about...

That's some pretty country for shooting!

Last edited:
Ruger American in 308. Great low cost machine, can put a different stock on it later. Later change the barrel to a 358 Winchester for all N. American game. And Oh yes, the barrel uses a nut to set headspace so you can change your own barrels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.