Your sidearm choice

The most I carry is a shield EZ 9mm performance center, I also have a 365xL with a Romeo on it I like—I carry a sig 224 40 from time to time too. I also carry when I'm on the farm a old HK USP expert —because I like it—hard to conceal but I like it

I'm in Alaska so take it as you may. I carry a 40 S&w. Only ammo that's been available all of the pandemic where I'm at, so it's a BEAR minimum in my village lol. I do plan on getting a 44magnum soon.

Edit: i have a Glock 23 gen 3, mostly because of the trigger reliability.

S&W Governor, like to keep 2-45ACP Speer 230gr Gold Dots moon clipD together , 2-45 Colt 255gr Hornady Cowboy's and 2-Winchester AA 410 Super Sport 410 with #8 shot loads onboard. The load order not too important, random order is fine. something will get the message thru to em. Spares in a pocket.

I am real old & carry what I am most familiar with - open carry Kimber 1911 .45Auto or Ruger MK IV 22/45. Everday concealed carry, Ruger LCR .357 with 125 HXTP hp. MT has "constitutional" carry, no CCW permit required. The MKIV .22LR has a Burris 2X pistol scope that can be used with Burris QT rings on a pic base, it's amaziingly accurate up to 75 yards; I use it with a rifle when shooting rodents. Lots of close range shooting with scope & tripod or carry in holster without scope for occassional rattlesnake. A 2-7X scope is planned for the MKIV.

All day every day is a Sig365XL with a dot, I use a Holosun and I think the model is 507? Small enough to conceal well but big enough to be able to shoot easily and 13 rounds using the short magazine. Handling and shooting mine has sold several. The trigger is pretty good out of the box for a striker fired pistol and the factory night sights are quite good for a carry gun if you don't mount the red dot. The 365X was just a bit too small for me.

Full size bear gun for me would be a 6" 2011 in 10mm, 22 rounds in the gun with a +2 basepad. Mine is actually a 40 throated for 10mm length, 10mm performance is easy. Brass is cheap and 40 ammo used to be too.....
Hi,
Hope your well. I saw your post of a few years ago on a good experience with an Sig P365. I had hear similar good reports and bought a "customized " SAS on GunBroker with plans to give it to my 25 yo son. It turns out the previous owner had damaged it installing a BMacro flat trigger. I could not get it back into battery. I worked on it several hours before sending to Sig, who fixed it. My concern is the FCU seems overly complex and because if all the safety features (particularly that tab that comes up on the rear right of the slide) much easier than, say, a Glock 19 to mess up. I'm debating whether to sell it now that it's freshly factory serviced or giving to my 25 yo son.

I'm you experience, is the FCU easily damaged through regular maintenance. Any advice re: a P366 I should share with my son ? Are you still a fan or found a better CCW?

Thank you for you kind help,

My CC is a sig 365, hellcats are good too, both are small with a higher capacity. In it I use barnes tac xpd bullets. My out in the hills carry is an hk vp 40 full size with leigh xtreme defense (their xtreme penetrator may be good for bears). Recoil on both is about the same. Bullets are just as important as the gun and pick them for your intended use. Good luck and happy shooting.
Hi,
Hope your well. I saw your post of a few years ago on a good experience with an Sig P365. I had hear similar good reports and bought a "customized " SAS on GunBroker with plans to give it to my 25 yo son. It turns out the previous owner had damaged it installing a BMacro flat trigger. I could not get it back into battery. I worked on it several hours before sending to Sig, who fixed it. My concern is the FCU seems overly complex and because if all the safety features (particularly that tab that comes up on the rear right of the slide) much easier than, say, a Glock 19 to mess up. I'm debating whether to sell it now that it's freshly factory serviced or giving to my 25 yo son.

I'm you experience, is the FCU easily damaged through regular maintenance. Any advice re: a P366 I should share with my son ? Are you still a fan or found a better CCW?

Bill

Go out and try as many possibilities as you can . Find what you're comfortable with and shoot it . I've got big hands so alot of the new compact carry guns don't fit me . I carry a 1st gen xd 9 sub compact for daily and a glock 20 10mm or a ruger Redhawk 44 mag with the short 4.2 barrel for hunting. I just picked up a 1st gen colt delta elite 10mm and might carry that also . The frame on the 45/ 10mm just fits me better and points more naturally than the glock. It's all about the fit first . If it doesn't fit you will not be able to shoot worth a darn.

Hi,

Bill
I do still have mine and haven't had any issues. If I had to do it over I would still get the sig, but as previously stated I've heard the hellcat is also just as good.

Hi,

I am doing well, thank you! I am still carrying the 365XL every day, the same one. I will admit I don't regular maintenance mine as often as I probably should but I have no issues of any kind other than rust. If I remember right these 365 family pistols are stainless steel with a black finish, but I had rust issues with mine and my son with his. The slide rusts, the barrel rusts, the front sight rusts, the striker cover rusts, the slide stop and take down lever rust. Nothing in the rails or FCU has rusted at all. We are in HOT weather country and the pistols get sweat on them regularly, mine will be wet with sweat for months on end daily. Other than that, no issues at all and it still shoots great even with some minor pitting in the bore that was my fault entirely and it looks fairly beat up now because of the rust and just miles I have put on it. I have the rust under control on the outside of the pistol using some stuff called Frog Lube, it took several applications following the instructions to the letter but the rust has slowed way down or stopped depending on the location. It's important to follow the directions or the Frog Lube doesn't work well at all, I figured that out the hard way. The barrel and bore rust has stopped completely, I am using a very light coat of grease on everything inside including the bore. I use Brian Enos Slide Glide Lite, it has stopped the rust cold and the pistol functions perfectly using it. If your son lives somewhere it gets extremely cold I'd be sure to test the pistol using grease before trusting it.

If I had to do it again I would still buy the 365XL. Since my earlier posts I have shot several others in similar sizes. The Hellcat is nice for sure, nice pistol but prefer the grip and the trigger on the 365 by a lot. I have looked at a few others and the grip and overall size of the 365 pistols just works better for me. The trigger on the 365 pistols is also better to me than anything else in the class. I'd take more care of it if I got a new one, more regular maintenance and start right out of the gate with the Frog Lube and grease I am doing now.

A G19 or any of the Glocks are good to great pistols, tough as a brick but unfortunately for me they feel like a brick also. I have tried to like them a few times, have owned 7-8 of them and at no point in many thousands of rounds have they pointed naturally for me or felt good in hand. Reliable and accurate but not for me.

Good luck and take care.