G

Wife wants an AR-15

Not sure who or what to choose. Standard A-2 config

Bushmaster or Armalite?

Please give opinions

Joe

Maybe rock river arms??

Anyone

Come on Dave...I know you got one of these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

Have you thoght about bulding one? They are really simple to build. Building allows you to customize with out "wasting" any unecessary parts like triggers. You can google your way to a cheaper more accurite rifle in no time.

lablover, I have a 16" bushmaster v-match. Great gun but don't know if it's the best of the 3. A friend has a rock river and loves it. Only thing I would suggest is get a flat top if your going to mount a scope.

I like the 16" because it's very handy and makes a great truck gun. Most of my use involves coyote hunting, accuracy with my reloads is sub MOA. The gun has a jewel trigger and wears a straight 4X scope.

I have an SPR (Special Purpose Rifle) type built by G A Precision.

Looks like pretty much like this and has Eagle lower and Knight parts upper, 3.5 x 10 Leupold M1/LR, Badger Max50 rings and Harris LM bipod:

350px-SPR-A_Profile.jpg

Dave

That sure is purty.

Building one...Hmmmmmmm Is it cheaper. I'm looking at a bushmaster A-4 type flat top. Runs 849.00 at local shop

Joe

For me it is I already know that I dont like the stiff bushmaster trigger, the 1-9 twist barrel, the stock and forearms, and the non adjustable gas block. Then again its for your wife, maybe she wont mind.Just my 2 cents worth

d-a

Lablover,
I have built enough ar-15's for customers to fill a dump truck. There are alot of good manufacturers out there. My recommendations is to get a 16", flat top, install a free floating tube and fix the trigger then like Chris said let her shoot it to death. By that time she and you will have some solid ideas about exactly what options you want to up grade to. I use DPMS stuff for all 5 of my competition ar-15's. (3gun is hard on rifles so I had to get a DPMS deticated 22 lr rifle to practice cqb shooting.

Shawn

d-a
That does look like a very good buy! I just received a Rock
River Arms 24" Varmiter. It has a Wilson Air Gauged Bull Stainless with the Flat Top, Alum. Floating Forearm & 2 St.
Match Trigger. I haven't seen anything that I don't like
about it as yet. I compared with the big names first & I
liked the features better than Bushmaster & others. However,
if I had seen this gun, I no doubt would have checked into
it. Rock River has a claimed 3/4" guarantee & I talked to
users that insisted theirs would shoot sub 1/2". I "roughed
it in" at just under 100 yards in my back yard & was shooting about 1" with Vietnam Era Ball. I have some 69 MK
& 75 Gr. Hor. loads & the first day that I don't see customers in the eary AM, I will see what it really does.
Mid Day Temps. are around 100 degrees with Humidity so I
would rather find an early morning slot. Anyone interested
can check out the "Varmiter" at rock river arms.com.
But d-a that gun looks good & cheaper too!

[ QUOTE ]
Buy the Bushmaster, not the Armalite, have her burn that barrel up and then I'll build her one to her liking.....LOL!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

How easy is it to burn a barrel out of a Bushmaster? I've owned a XM15 for 10 years and have put a lot of ammo through it. Some of it pretty hard- rapid fire several 20 round mags in a row, stuff like that. I can still shoot 2 MOA with my "cheap" reloads. I have a VXII 4-12 40mm AO scope on it now. It's a standard rifle. A.R.M.S. #2 scope mount. The same reloads will shoot 1 MOA out of my Weatherby. The barrel looks OK as far as I can tell. I'm guessing it's had at lest 10,000 rounds throgh it. Probably 2,000 cheap surplus and 8,000 reloads loaded on the "light side". A lot of .22LR ( I have a conversion kit for it). I was thinking it would take a lot to wear out the barrel of a miltary rifle designed for full auto fire?

I'll bet that burning the barrel out was part of the LOL.The Colt HbarCMT shoots better all the time and thats after trying to cook the barrel several times.Still holds MOA with about anything(but Wolf)thats put through it.
Did have a Wilson bull barreled upper that was a dog from the get go but generaly they shoot alright and for a looooong time.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.