Your sidearm choice

I shot it this week and all I can say is I am not a pistol shooter. On the other hand, this will give me motivation to learn and become a pistol shooter.
I'm looking pretty close at the Sig P365X. I can get a full grip and it might be small enough to pocket carry. A S&W Shield is pretty tempting too. But as of now I'll have to deal with my S&W 686 4". It's a pig but I have a ton of time training and competing in PPC, IDPA and three gun. It's getting harder to see the front sight with trifocals though. It's to the point that my front sight is a blur now. I'm basically point shooting now while wearing glasses. But when I rechecked my zero this week I got these groups. I might do better without the glasses on. I'll be interested on how well you like your Sig. It seems like a great pistol!
1656097646185.png

DA/SA pistol, round chambered, hammer dropped, no external safety, 7-20 round magazine. Caliber depends on where I will be! Sig, FN, or Springfield!

I'm with the other guys on a sig 365xl, I'm 6'4 230 and it's one of the few subcompacts that I've found that I can accurately shoot and hold comfortably as far as full size, theirs tons of full size 10mm to choose from just go and try some and find the one that fits you best

It is the 21st century, and I recommend getting the best and most cutting edge technology you can. Right now, that is being offered by Sig where you have a serialized fire control unit that can be placed in different frames with different slides. That way you can have multiple sized guns for different applications by just switching the FCU between guns. Also they are optics ready, which is the future and it is faster to pick up and easier to see your target than irons. I would look at the P365 for your small frame CCW and a P320 for your full sized. I carry a P320 every day, I have a compact version for carry and a full sized slide and frame for my go to war option. They even came out with a new line of .45/10mm FCU's if you really want to upsize for an outdoors pistol.

The benefits of modern modularity is that you can select what works and fits you. The Sig P320 has different frame sizes and different grip sizes to get exactly what you want. Personal fit and feel is big, and often ignored for "big" names or departmental requirements for people who are forced to carry one gun or another. I personally was forced to carry a Glock 23 and will never buy one again. They don't fit my hand, the trigger with the built in safety is awful, the grip is uncomfortable, and they recycle the same technology every couple years and call it a new generation then rely on their name for government and individual sales. Mine was poor quality and unreliable to boot, even compared to my 35. Other's may love their Glock, but there are plenty of companies who offer competitive and more modern options. Go out to your local gun store and handle everything before you make your final decision.

I'm looking pretty close at the Sig P365X. I can get a full grip and it might be small enough to pocket carry. A S&W Shield is pretty tempting too. But as of now I'll have to deal with my S&W 686 4". It's a pig but I have a ton of time training and competing in PPC, IDPA and three gun. It's getting harder to see the front sight with trifocals though. It's to the point that my front sight is a blur now. I'm basically point shooting now while wearing glasses. But when I rechecked my zero this week I got these groups. I might do better without the glasses on. I'll be interested on how well you like your Sig. It seems like a great pistol! View attachment 374058
Just got back from the range. This pistol performs without any flaws. It is amazing how well IT shoots. Again, I say IT and not me…but I am trying.

US Property Rem.Rand 45 ACP..
SORRY to OP for getting off topic, but find many here might enjoy this, ?? or hope so,
SO< a REM like this, Bill?? not RANDM< but a REM UMC< the original REM 1911

sad part is these old Rem 1911's UMC"S and not so much the RANDS< are NOT the best guns for hot loads or even mid range power loads, there known to have weakness in there frames and can end up ruining a piece of history shooting them with more modem powerful Ammo

AS this its a real REM frame(1917), colt slide, and all done up with the modern good stuff, due to it was a mix match gun, a old bullseye match gun from the Marine corp! I picked up yrs ago! I decided to build a nice conversation piece out of it, making it better than it was,
as it was an old marine corp Bullesye match gun,
I picked up yrs ago,, it didn't have any real collectible value as it was a lot of mix matched parts and some mods done already, , and wanted to save it in a better way, than leave it as is! and wasn't worth adding all the original parts again!(did look hard at doing so though before going down the road I did with it)
SO, no collectible value to it, just decided to make it much easier to my eye's and if going that farm, why not add all the good parts to it, so it would shoot if I wanted it to!, gather many folks here are accuracy minded folks) fit and feel and well, she now s to ME< looks way better, feels better in my hand, and shoots way even better, but its mostly a safe queen gun, due to frames are known to crack on these old rem's!( they were only made for two yrs )
I wouldnl;t really recommend shooting good high power loads out of a REM Rand 1911, as there known to have frame issues and crack, and well, could ruin a good cine old gun doing so!
a before and after pic, as well as a upgrade for bear country a delta worked up to handle heavy 10 mm loads, as in stock form it wasn't up to the task of repeated firing of heavy 10 mm loads!
but the 10 mm with heavy loads, is a little better medicine if you want a 1911 style gun for bears Imo
both guns were built by Mr. Jim Milks of "Innovative Custom Firearms", great guy and build's great guns, a very skilled guy!

before after and next to a custom built Colt 10 mm

Attachments

• 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • zoo video bertha 008.JPG
    zoo video bertha 008.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
yesterday, I got my concealed carry permit here in PA. Now, I'm looking for some training and a pair of carry pistols. I think I want two: a compact for conceal carry to protect my family, and a full frame open carry bear stopper for when I'm bowhunting. I figured I'd see what the community prefers. I do not plan on hunting with either, they're just for protection again people and black bears respectfully.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.
I'm sure you are long past purchasing but in my opinion (fwiw) several factors play in to what to conceal carry for people protection.

#1- budget
#2 - What you wear most often
#3 - how the gun rides and feels (I have an awesome S&w M&p 2.0 that I love to shoot but the grip is so aggressive it's like having sandpaper against your stomach. Even after I've sanded it down.
#4 - how the gun shoots is important but ultimately- ITS THE WIZARD not THE WAND! Shoot enough and you will become proficient with any gun.

I carry a 9 mm simply because the performance is good with +p ammo. Also the pistol I carry depends on what I am wearing.

Gym shorts = sig p365
Shorts w/belt = midsize (15-17 rounds) sig p320x-carry is a fantastic gun. Glock 19 are good size too.

Do NOT go with all steel (1911s or any others). Nothing against those they are just freaking stupid heavy and it will get old quick.

Also most 380s are small and only good if someone is right on top of you and very hard to shoot accurately.

Again just my opinion, and how I go about things.