Your sidearm choice

For CC, I use a SW shield 9mm. It's very thin and doesn't print when carrying it. I don't love the feel of it in my hands, but I shoot it well. I'd look at a sig P365 if I didn't already have the shield.
Open carry is a Glock 29 in 10mm. Definitely more KO power.
Agree with this 100%. Love my SW Shield and the Glock 29

Lots of options. Concealed carry I have a Taurus TCP 380. I just put in a front pocket. Works perfect from light fishing shirts to pants or jacket pocket. Look at the LCP Max. Many brands all the same size weight. If I can conceal with pants and jacket P365 with only base plate or finger extension. I prefer appendix carry or pocket.

If I was going to pack a bear pistol it would be a Glock 20 with heavy hard cast +p+

I carry a hellcat and carry an XDME across my chest during hikes, etc. I also carry a couple CZ 75 variations.

I most often carry a tiny gun. My common choice is a Keltec P3AT-380. I chose that because I never leave it at home or in the car. If I carry something bigger it is a bobtail Dan Wesson 1911 or Shield in .45...both small and light for their punch. I always carry a bigger gun in a pancake holster owb with a long shirt or jacket: it is much more comfortable for all day carry. I call it sloppy concealed carry. I find the tiny 1911 style pistols hard to shoot well. I also don't like the thickness of the Glocks/M&P/XD for carry, though I have quite a few. I have known quite a few people that can't shoot the little guns like the Keltec 380 well.

Some other honorable mentions are any of the thin plastic guns like Kahr PM/CM, Walther, Ruger/Keltec 9mm, or S&W J frames.

I have known quite a few people that can't shoot the little guns like the Keltec 380 well.
So true they are snappy and sharp recoil. especially when they think they need some super hot instant death load. My daughter carries a LCP because of size and weight. "Those are too big and heavy in my pocket/purse". 380 Ammo is also expensive. Pretty sure she will swap out for the LCP22 when she gets home.

Agreed. I pocket carry an LCP 380 occasionally that I bought probably 10 years ago and it is plain nasty to shoot at any time and even more so with hot defensive ammo. It has one of the worst triggers ever. It's an awful gun but it is reliable, small, light and convenient. I put a laser on it and made it actually quite shootable. Better than my claws and teeth so when I can't for whatever reason bring something bigger it goes in the pocket.

yesterday, I got my concealed carry permit here in PA. Now, I'm looking for some training and a pair of carry pistols. I think I want two: a compact for conceal carry to protect my family, and a full frame open carry bear stopper for when I'm bowhunting. I figured I'd see what the community prefers. I do not plan on hunting with either, they're just for protection again people and black bears respectfully.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.
Sounds like you have a dilemma if you cannot carry 'openly' in PA while bowhunting.
The following is just my experience condidering different concealed weapons. Do with info as you wish (YMMV).
I had a S&W 44Mag with a 4" barrel. It would definitely stopped man or bear.......if I was successful in hitting (it). After trying to master it, I gave up and sold it.
In good old CA you can get a CCW (that's what it is called here) after formal legal and practical training ($$).
I initially qualified for both a Ruger LCR and a Glock Model 36 single stack 45ACP. I love shooting my Colt 1911 but it is heavy and bulky so I went to the Glock for my CCW.
Here in CA the practical training requires drawing from concealed and hitting an official IDPA target @ 3 yards, 7 yards, and 10 yards twice in 5 seconds and 15 yards in 10 seconds then repeating the drill again for all 4 distances. No misses allowed.
I practice about once per week at my club range which, bless their souls, allows concealed draw at the discretion of the RM. I repeatedly found I would occasionally miss @ 10 and 15 yards using the small Ruger LCR and because of the liability should I hit a bystander, I dropped it from my CCW and stay with the Glock.

For open carry and bears, you might consider a Glock 40 in 10mm. It is a joy to shoot with long 6" barrel. You could also go Glock 20 which is full size also but regular sized barrel (each have 15 round mages with one in the tube. Lots of fire power). Then you could use the shorter Glock 29 for carry in 10mm so you are using the same ammo. The extended pinky mag gives you 12 rounds and is easier to hold. I am a 10 mm fan and since you mentioned bear, this is a good choice.

Sig Sauer just came out with a full sized p320 Xten - in 10 mm. It will be a while before we can get one, but that would be a gem. You could get the smaller versions or even a more compact 9mm Sig p320 which would be very similar in feel and way it works. Just suggestions.

I generally carry a Shield 40 IWB. If I consider where I am going a higher risk environment, I carry a 1911 Commander frame 10mm. During hunting season I also carry that 10mm open on my belt. If it's cold and I'm wearing heavy clothes I'll always carry the 10mm when I can. It sucks a lot less in performance than 9mm/40/45.

Generally doing property work outside hunting season I carry a full size Glock 45 because it's harder to beat up.

I do have an LCP 380 because there are times I'd forego a gun but it's so easy to slip the LCP in a pocket holster.

Biggest thing about a pistol for bears is training. I bow hunt in Alaska my side arm is a Glock 20. I carry being a realist if your training is the best but you still spray and pray, more rounds are better. If you snap shoot and hit your target first time everytime , great. Keep practicing. Some guys carry 357magnum for griz, it is your choice. Try one gun for both applications try 357 sig would be great in a semi auto and for revolver I would grab a ruger LCR in 357mag. You can run 38specials in around town light weight and easy to carry. Short barrel for close range. Just my thoughts.