Your SHTF mandatory gun list.

Scarry thought. But there are folks out there that will do this. I really didn't want to go to the extreme on the subject. I was just curious what folks were thinking in respect to caliber specific ammo, guns, and components they thought were necessary for them, just in case. 🤔🤪

He was not the kind of person to take from anyone…. But, he would respond to a threat with "extreme prejudice"! memtb

If it all went to hell and a handbasket, what guns are MANDATORY for you? For me, it would be:
.22LR
.45 ACP
9mm
12 GA
5.56/223
Even during the ammo/parts shortages of recent years and the pandemic, I could still find what I needed. And let's face it, these are found almost everywhere. Keep in mind the problems/events of the day.

What about you guys?
That's a good list, but I would add a 4-6" barrelled 357mag, for it can also accept 38 specs. Revolves are not power specific to function, so they can use bird/snake shot, light loads, wadcutters, full power, etc, etc. Same with 44 mags in a lighter 5 shot back country version, but ammo is not as widespread as 357/38. Also, I own rifles in those calibers, so I can have duality with one ammo for hunting and self defense. These rounds are great for bullet casters like myself.

Also one may consider a 40 S&W handgun, for many police dept use this round, and it is very widespread in the US.

Along with the 308, I would also lean toward a 30-06, for I tend to see it in stores more often and in larger volume than the 308.

edit: I would add a good air rifle in .177 and/or .22

Last edited:
That's a good list, but I would add a 4-6" barrelled 357mag, for it can also accept 38 specs. Revolves are not power specific to function, so they can use bird/snake shot, light loads, wadcutters, full power, etc, etc. Same with 44 mags in a lighter 5 shot back country version, but ammo is not as widespread as 357/38. Also, I own rifles in those calibers, so I can have duality with one ammo for hunting and self defense. These rounds are great for bullet casters like myself.

Also one may consider a 40 S&W handgun, for many police dept use this round, and it is very widespread in the US.

Along with the 308, I would also lean toward a 30-06, for I tend to see it in stores more often and in larger volume than the 308.
The 308 and -06 are users choice.
I am just setup for 308. I thought about a 357 or 44. One member mentioned that a gun/pistol in the same caliber would be a good idea-think 357 or 44. But I had problems finding ammo for them in the past 2 years. (I actually think it might be a good idea though.)That's why I left them off the list. I wanted to be able to find the most common and available at any time. But anything you decide on has to be a sure thing, or close to it for it to be a player for the shtf situation.

Thought this through, have ya? I don't know about you, but as long as I draw breath, I will never give up and I will never surrender! Lots of folks will make it through until bartering becomes the way of things. This is why I made the list of what I thought would be the most common, available, and sustainable guns/ammo/components. For me and mine. Everyone has their own take on it. Thats ok. Do your homework and make a plan to survive, not give up in the face your supposed eventuallality. See ya on the other side. Maybe. OUT.
Think fifth century Europe. Everyone will be tribal and we will become even more warlike and violent than you can imagine. The haves will be the rulers. Every one else! The peasants. Read a book couple of years ago can't remember the title at the moment! But it delt with a King and duke baron type of government. Horses with knights etc. Except every now and again they found something that's out of the timeline. Stuff called the builder's stone. Rebar reinforced concrete, one of the knights who had never been defeated had a weapon called the horse weapon! A colt .45! except he only used it under the most greatest of need. Only had twenty rounds left from fifty round box !

Last edited:
The 308 and -06 are users choice.
I am just setup for 308. I thought about a 357 or 44. One member mentioned that a gun/pistol in the same caliber would be a good idea-think 357 or 44. But I had problems finding ammo for them in the past 2 years. (I actually think it might be a good idea though.)That's why I left them off the list. I wanted to be able to find the most common and available at any time. But anything you decide on has to be a sure thing, or close to it for it to be a player for the shtf situation.
I understand your thought process, for here, we have been thinking this way since the cold war days.

As a ardent reloader, bullet caster, swager, wildcatter, etc, we have several options for producing ammo when it cannot be found in stores. In a collapse of any type situ and just for everyday carry/hunting around the land, I find a good revolver more "versatile" than my autos. Often and depending on time of year, my first one or two shots are snake/bird shot followed by full power loads. I have used handloaded shotshell and reduced power loads to take small game at close range, and even in the lever rifles. When out hunting or other, it is easy to switch loads in either rifle or handgun to shoot small game or larger. But, I guess it depends on what one is planning for in a SHTF situ.

Also, I would add to my list a good quality air rifle in .177 or .22, for those pellets are fairly cheap and plentiful. We have taken various small game with ours here.

.22LR and plenty of quiet ammo
9mm and .45 for the holster
5.56 black gun
Whatever big center fire with a scope you have or can get plenty of ammo for
And I'll add a good trad bow and a few dozen arrows with varied tips in a quiver. It doesn't take too long to become proficient at taking small game with one and let's be honest. If it goes sideways you'll probably have some time on your hands to practice archery. Reusable ammo is huge. My bear paw hybrid long bow weighs 18 oz. Quiver of arrows maybe 2 lbs. I love my modern compound but it shatters arrows inside 60 yds if you hit a rock. I know, it's a gun thread. Just sayin.

I understand your thought process, for here, we have been thinking this way since the cold war days.

As a ardent reloader, bullet caster, swager, wildcatter, etc, we have several options for producing ammo when it cannot be found in stores. In a collapse of any type situ and just for everyday carry/hunting around the land, I find a good revolver more "versatile" than my autos. Often and depending on time of year, my first one or two shots are snake/bird shot followed by full power loads. I have used handloaded shotshell and reduced power loads to take small game at close range, and even in the lever rifles. When out hunting or other, it is easy to switch loads in either rifle or handgun to shoot small game or larger. But, I guess it depends on what one is planning for in a SHTF situ.

Also, I would add to my list a good quality air rifle in .177 or .22, for those pellets are fairly cheap and plentiful. We have taken various small game with ours here.
Good idea. Got the pellet rifle thing covered. Got Dianna mod 27 and mod 35 .177 pettet guns. Had them since 1965. Most accurate pellet guns I have ever shot. Really a good idea for gathering small game and birds a close range. Quiet too.

I can't help but notice the large quantities of gear/guns/ammo listed by many…..how are ya gonna carry the vast majority of that which is listed!

Unless you have pack animals……you will be on foot. The roads will be blocked by abandonEd vehicles out of fuel/broken down, ect and even if you can get around/through the blocked roads, unless you have brought fuel with you, there will not be fuel accessible!

So, unless you have a relatively short distance to travel, or some backroads in a rural area not used by the masses during a time like this…..you friend are SOL! JMO. memtb

I can't help but notice the large quantities of gear/guns/ammo listed by many…..how are ya gonna carry the vast majority of that which is listed!

Unless you have pack animals……you will be on foot. The roads will be blocked by abandonEd vehicles out of fuel/broken down, ect and even if you can get around/through the blocked roads, unless you have brought fuel with you, there will not be fuel accessible!

So, unless you have a relatively short distance to travel, or some backroads in a rural area not used by the masses during a time like this…..you friend are SOL! JMO. memtb
Absolutely! Too much to carry. The kinds I listed are what are most common to me. Not everyone. My family have all the pew I listed. Need to feed them all with store bought or make your own. Just haven't had any difficulty in finding support for my list. Ever. That's why I did this list. Curious what others were going through or planning on.

I've never been caught up in the prep game. Should the SHTF with civil unrest or a breakdown in law enforcement, I will gather my family and defend my home. I'm lucky to have a basement with security measures on doors and windows. I'm not prepared for a full on attack by hordes of people with I'll intent, but there will be several that regret picking my home for an invasion. Your firearm list is perfect for my purposes.

Need some of these that I reload. Incredibly accurate and easy to load. 1 1/4oz slug at 1450 that shoots legit 2" groups at 100 yds is pretty nice. No worries about ammo at store.

AC756B07-0D01-4845-9D54-63988AD57C43.jpeg