Your SHTF mandatory gun list.

The answer depends a lot on whether you are remaining in a static location or bugging out. Guns and ammo are heavy especially if you are carrying othet supplies (food, water, med kit, etc). Ive carried a firearm professionally in some of the most inhospitable places on earth....it is not easy. A PWS Mk216 (308) with 6-25rd pmags of 308 plus a 65# ruck sack will wear you out in short order. This is one of those times where a handgun/rifle of the same caliber would be VERY handy. Whether its a 9mm Semi Auto/carbine or a levergun/revolver combo (my preferance). However, remaining in a static location presents a whole different set of problems.

The answer depends a lot on whether you are remaining in a static location or bugging out. Guns and ammo are heavy especially if you are carrying othet supplies (food, water, med kit, etc). Ive carried a firearm professionally in some of the most inhospitable places on earth....it is not easy. A PWS Mk216 (308) with 6-25rd pmags of 308 plus a 65# ruck sack will wear you out in short order. This is one of those times where a handgun/rifle of the same caliber would be VERY handy. Whether its a 9mm Semi Auto/carbine or a levergun/revolver combo (my preferance). However, remaining in a static location presents a whole different set of problems.
I stated in the posting that you should, "consider the problems and events of the day" for your answer. What you think you need is entirely up to you. The intent was to think about what calibers might available if it all went south. It's all well and good to have the latest and greatest, but can you get ammo or components in the worst of times. Lugging around 150 rds of 308 and 120 rds of pistol adds up real fast. I've done it, but it hurts. Days gone by. I hope.

If you have to bug out weight is going to be a serious issue. Zip lock bags of 22 LR in back packs. 22 pistol and rifle of your choice. Every thing else is food and medical supplies. Salt will be a must have, and a way to cook! If its a local event you can flee in a vehicle. Wide spread and you have to leave your home remember there are safety in numbers. Think what a big box/bag of 12 gauge weighs, Big shotgun/rifle weighs to much ,who's going to carry all of them? nine mm pistol is a maybe if you don't try to take to much ammo. Shelters sleeping bags. The list goes on !

Anytime one of these threads come up, it's always interesting how few choose the long range rifles we love and go with something else. The more I think about these scenarios, I think if you can bring a long range rifle, even in a very limit ammo supply, it may become very beneficial.

Last edited:
Longest standoff the better, so whatever can reach out and touch those that don't matter. With 8 in the family I have my own pack mules and probably just as stubborn! All will have a sidearm, 2 shotguns, 4 intermediate rifles and 2 long range guns. Just shy of a squad.

Same with us. Load the horses and hit the mountains.....of course....that my plan for most days 🤣🤣🤣

Recent Posts