Your favorite FFP reticle for hunting…

I like the Vortex FFP EBR reticles MRAD or MOA. Not busy but plenty of elevation and windage hold in reticle , solid build quality and decent price. Compared to My NF and Kahles which are excellent it's a perfect bang for buck compromise depending on which one you choose they're pretty affordable. Strike Eagle 5-25x is really good deal

Athlon APRS1 or 3. A good idea for you would be to look on Cameralands website. They have a reticle page with just about all of them out there from all of the different manufactures. It's good info and can make easy comparisons.
Thanks for info on this. Never knew about this

For hunting in my hop.. nigbforce xx8 moa 2.5 x 20 .. compact n 20 ounces... and very capable onn targets and hunting ... illuminated too floating crosshair....

I run a Vortex Viper PST II, 5-25X50, w/EBR-4(MOA) on my .300WinMag, a Vortex Strike Eagle, 5-25X56, w/EBR-7C(MOA) on my 7mmRemMag, both having illuminated reticles. They're great (IMO) for my style of deer hunting, which is a shooting house overlooking long paths and timber cutdowns. There's usually enough ambient light that I can see good right up until it's time to shut it down, cloudy/stormy days being an exception. I rarely use illumination because for my eyes it just too much and actually makes it harder to see the animal. I haven't played with the brightness settings though and there may be a happy medium.
I just get too excited to play with my scope when that nice buck steps in to view!
In reality I probably have enough time to fiddle with it but in my mind I don't and adrenalin is tough to master!

I've used both of these to at least 1000yds on targets by dialing the turrets and both to 500ds on game using the etched MOA lines. Both methods have been spot on according to my dope (Streloc). The only reason to just 500yds on game is they are relatively new to me (less than 2 yrs) but will probably get their legs stretched as hunting seasons come and go, Lord willing.
Another FFP scope that I have, but is no longer produced, is the Crimson Trace 2-series scope. It's a 6-24X56 and uses a MR1-MOA reticle. Pretty plain and simple as the lines go but the center is a very small centered dot. Kind of like a target dot reticle. I have this on my 6mmBR Norma and it helps me hold the tightest for groups when shooting targets or doing load development. It too is illuminated but not needed.

I can imagine this just adds to your confusion as there are as many more reticle types as there are scope companies. Hopefully something will stand out for your eyes and will work for you. Good luck and let us know your decision(s).

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times on here but I'm fixing to purchase my first FFP scope for hunting and Saturday long range matches at a gun club, would like to hear your favorite reticle for this…

For long range hunting a choice I have is an Impact 60 MOA Leopold FFP scopes. Not sure what scopes they have available with this reticle but mine is on a VX3 long range. Tried to purchase the same scope it is out of production. What I like about is for most shots I will take while hunting this reticle gives me 60 MOA of adjustment, I find I do not need to dial my turrets with a 400 yard zero. MOA versus MIL a little bit easier for me to do the match in my head although I have mil and mil dot FFP scopes as well on my other rifles. Another option I have gotten as a recent Christmas present yet to mount as my rifle is not here yet is Vortex Strike eagle 5 x 25 with a EBR-7C reticle, supposedly has 50 MOA adjustment in the reticle. I have yet to use this scope so I can't say yet on my recommendation as of yet. Now that I am older I find if I am in a hurry to get off a shot the drop in my reticle is easier for me to use than counting the clicks or rotations in my turrets. This is just my personal preference as far as my approach for hunting. If I ever get more range time as far as rifle/scope combinations then this will change. Still working and no retirement in sight so I found this approach works the best for me.

I have Votex Razor Gen II with EBR-2C reticle and S&B PM II with Horus TReMor 3 and love them both. I like the T3 a little more than ebr but would be happy with either. Both are mil reticles.

Bushnell G3 or G2H Both pretty awesome

+1 on the G2H. Or the G3, but that one I like much better in illumination as the illuminated reticle is slightly thicker. As a plus, the LRHS/LRTS scopes have proved to be very rugged and repeatable. Some don't like doughnut style reticles, but I really do. I understand the shortfalls of them, but in an all around hunting scope, I like to maintain the ability to make quick shots in thicker cover. I like to track in the snow and still hunt timber, so I dislike being stuck with a reticle that needs to be lit in order to be usable on low X.

I know a lot of guys don't like tree style reticles and consider them too busy, but If you really want to use the reticle for elevation holds over 3 mils or so, you generally need to account for some wind, and it's a guess at best if you're much below the horizontal and there's not something near for measuring. And if you're going to dial all elevation, the vertical line under center should be bold within 1-2 mil of so of center that it stands out like a #4 on low X, like the THLR reticle.

I see a lot of so called "hunter" FFP these days that have 8-9 mils windage on the horizontal, and 10 mils elevation on the vertical line without anything for wind under the center horizontal. Who has use for 8+ mils windage, or 10 mils holdover without anything for windage further down the vertical? On top of lack luster design, they're often too thin to be usable below 6x or so. Instead go 4-5 mil on windage and bring in a heavy line to be able to bracket game at low X. To me it's a wasted opportunity to have something that's better suited to myriad shooting scenarios.

Last edited: