your 1st love? memorable or not

I guess mine would be dad's old Remington 22 single shot, late 1930's version I think, and the first full box of 22 shorts I received in my stocking one Christmas eve. I think I was around 9-10 years old before I stepped up from the old Daisy BB gun to dad's "real rifle", since we were very poor dirt farmers, that single shot and tight supply of ammo set me on the course of precise shooting, carefully stalking game or coming home without meat for the pot.

The next would be my first Remington 870 Wingmaster. It was a Christmas gift from my brother who was 11 years older than I, and I was 13 at the time. At that time, I think he paid about $70-75 for that new 870. While it was considered a Christmas gift, he gave it to me the weekend prior to Thanksgiving. That weekend was the opening of gun deer season, and now I had my own shotgun and did not have to use dad's old 16ga single.
That old shotgun saw many years of service and killed numerous small game and deer. Eventually, I replaced the old fixed modified choke barrel with a 26" vent ribbed Rem Choke model.

Last edited:
The night I was born, in 1972, my grandfather was out drinking and playing cards. He won a double barrel 410 shotgun in a card game. 8 years later he had me on the porch shooting cans on the hillside beside the house. Early 1982, I was 10, he gave it to me, with the promise that it would go to my first born son, then his first born son...etc. My grandson turned 3 this year, 5 more years and I get to smile and laugh like my grandfather did. Don't know much about that old shotgun. It has Importer ( not Imported) Century Arms...Made in Spain...on the barrel. It breaks down with a lever on the side. But you can push a button on the frame and it folds up and the end of the barrel is about a inch from the butt. Man I hope 5 years passes fast...

I forgot to add....He passed away Sept of 1982.

Howdy, One of my favorite is a Model 12 pump shotgun. My grandfather gave it to me back in 1979. It was his barn gun.
He left it out in the barn all the time for unwanted critters. I was looking for a shotgun to go pheasant hunting, he gave me a box of reloaded 12 ga. shells and that old beat up 12 ga. My buddy and I went hunting and I couldn't miss with that, what I thought at that time was a old piece of.... When we got back and showed my grandparents all the game I got. My grandmother said, that's your gun you keep it. My granddad's jaw dropped, but didn't say a word. Later my granddad told me about the gun, 1928 trap shooter model. 25 years ago I took it to my gunsmith and asked him to completely restore it. It has been hanging in my reloading- gun room ever since. 🤓
I have used it on a couple pheasant hunts since.

Attachments

• 20230825_190533.jpg
    20230825_190533.jpg
    806 KB · Views: 63
My dad passes away when I was 10. I had his model 12 Rem .22 pump. She a neighbors Browning T bolt and fell in love. At 14 I gathered my paper route money and headed down to the gun store. Came home with a brand new t bolt. No paperwork, no sales tax,no nothing. The gun store owner asked if he could call my parents,because if they wouldn't let me keep it he would have to give me used gun price for it,and he didn't want a young feller like me to lose money on a gun.

Howdy, One of my favorite is a Model 12 pump shotgun. My grandfather gave it to me back in 1979. It was his barn gun.
He left it out in the barn all the time for unwanted critters. I was looking for a shotgun to go pheasant hunting, he gave me a box of reloaded 12 ga. shells and that old beat up 12 ga. My buddy and I went hunting and I couldn't miss with that, what I thought at that time was a old piece of.... When we got back and showed my grandparents all the game I got. My grandmother said, that's your gun you keep it. My granddad's jaw dropped, but didn't say a word. Later my granddad told me about the gun, 1928 trap shooter model. 25 years ago I took it to my gunsmith and asked him to completely restore it. It has been hanging in my reloading- gun room ever since. 🤓
I have used it on a couple pheasant hunts since.
Really nice restoration.

I was 10 and my grandfather was on his last leg with cancer. He had two Winchester model 21s custom built, engraved and fitted with a visit to the Winchesters factory. I received the 20 GA with his initials in gold inlay on the trigger guard and pheasants on the frame. My dad has the matching 12 GA. Unfortunately he was 5 foot 6 and I'm 6 foot 4.

It is a toss up between my Dad's Winchester Model 12 and my pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06. In the late 50's my brother burned our house down playing with the cigarette light and tissue in a station wagon. The next night someone stole all the guns from our house. Two many to mention in this post. That Christmas all the kids in our family gave their Christmas checks to my mom and she bought the Model 12 for my dad. I can't begin to imagine how many rabbits, quail and doves were harvested with that shotgun. Memories to fill the times.
My first rifle was the Model 70. Scrimped and save to pay a local gun shop the then incredible price of $100.00.
I still have both of those weapons and only have to take them out of the safe to have a great day full of memories.

My dad passes away when I was 10. I had his model 12 Rem .22 pump. She a neighbors Browning T bolt and fell in love. At 14 I gathered my paper route money and headed down to the gun store. Came home with a brand new t bolt. No paperwork, no sales tax,no nothing. The gun store owner asked if he could call my parents,because if they wouldn't let me keep it he would have to give me used gun price for it,and he didn't want a young feller like me to lose money on a gun.

Many people today do not realize that prior to the GCA of '68, we could go into hardware and other stores and simply purchase a firearm and take it home. Or like my brother, order one from a catalogue and have it delivered to the country mail box.

Similar to when farmers could buy dynamite from the hardware store to blow beaver dams.

My older Brother bought me a used Rem model 600 in .243 when I was 13 years old. That was 39 years ago and I still have that rifle. I loved it so and it shot very well for many years. I replaced the trigger and the bottom metal about 10 years ago and the accuracy is not what it used to be. It sits in the safe until a youngster needs to borrow it as it still shoots minute of Blacktail. Cheers, Jason

My older Brother bought me a used Rem model 600 in .243 when I was 13 years old. That was 39 years ago and I still have that rifle. I loved it so and it shot very well for many years. I replaced the trigger and the bottom metal about 10 years ago and the accuracy is not what it used to be. It sits in the safe until a youngster needs to borrow it as it still shoots minute of Blacktail. Cheers, Jason
Howdy, maybe rebarrel it with a 7.5 twt for that next youngster. 😃
Or not. 👍