Why not shorten your rifle's barrel?

Haha...plus I don't think the OP is looking for advice. I think he was just starting a conversation on barrel lengths. But this is a LRH forum so at least for the majority of the applications on here I would say a longer barrel is more suitable.

No, this is very similar to other threads of his along the same lines.

It is a long range site, and for sure most are using longer barrels. I do get where Tony is coming from though, and find it's hard for me to break pattern myself. I picture the Carolina's like parts of our Pacific Northwest, Tony's BC, and have a half dozen short barreled rifles in the safe.

What I consider my 2 long range rifles are both 26". If I ever re-barrel one, maybe I'll go 30" one time.

To answer your question of why NOT shorten my rifles barrel:

I'm about 6'5" tall with size 14 boots that can pass as water skis... and when I walk through the thick brush there's nothing compact about me. When I hold a 22" barreled rifle it just feels silly. I hit my head on branches well before even a short 26" barrel... If I cut down my barrel I might as well cut my legs off at the knee.

To each his own, I feel like a compact barrel is 26" :D

To answer your question of why NOT shorten my rifles barrel:

I'm about 6'5" tall with size 14 boots that can pass as water skis... and when I walk through the thick brush there's nothing compact about me. When I hold a 22" barreled rifle it just feels silly. I hit my head on branches well before even a short 26" barrel... If I cut down my barrel I might as well cut my legs off at the knee.

To each his own, I feel like a compact barrel is 26" :D
Good point. I'm 5'7" and a 24" barrel seems long to me when I'm carrying it around.

Good point. I'm 5'7" and a 24" barrel seems long to me when I'm carrying it around.

I'm 5'6" and my 30" does not seem long to me ... I also have a 12G with a 40" barrel. :D

If peeps are worried about portability, just hunt behind Timber338 ... problem sold. Sorry brother, I couldn't resist. :rolleyes::):cool:gun)

I just don't believe in cutting the nuts off my cartridge along with barrel length. I believe in maximizing potential and for most things that means at least a 26" barrel for me. Take for example why would you build a 6.5-284 to cut it down to 20" and max out at 260 rem velocity. Just don't make sense to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.