Yep, another “Which cartridge?” thread.

SpeedGoatShooter37

I've got the itch to build a new rifle again. This time I think I'll depart from my usual style and build something with a nice wood stock and perhaps with a CRF action. The question is what cartridge? Ideally it'd be a general purpose rifle, capable of taking up to a moose. Shots wouldn't be over 350 yards. Again, ideally I would pass it on down to a relative, regardless if they hand loaded or not. What comes to mind is the 308 Win. However, I currently a 22-250, 243 Win, 6.5 CM, 7mm-08, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag. What do you all think? Should I just build another of what I already have, or have I over looked a cartridge?

Given your intended range and wanting to avoid something that needed to be handloaded, I would have said 7mm-08. But you have one. 35 Whelen was a good suggestion from Creedmoor Shooter. Your own suggestion of 308 Win is a good idea, making sure you give it enough twist to throw the bullet you wanted. Though the 308 Win wouldn't really be filling a slot that you're currently missing, in my view.

As you have the smaller carts pretty well covered .
I would suggest the 375 H&H. In a nice wood stocked rifle with a controlled feed , fixed ejector , non rotating extractor action. Its pretty hard to beat. Lots of people in Alaska use it as their moose cartridge. It works great. Isn't bad on the recoil . With 250 -270 gr bullets it really is an all around rifle.

Surprised no one mentioned the good ole 30-06. You didn't mention if you hand load but if you do then pick the AI version and push those 215 Berger pills @ 2750 fps out of a 24" barrel. Lapua Palma brass is about as good as you can get.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.