Another which gun thread

Csafisher

So I'm pretty set on a new 6.5 creedmore. Question is which one? It will be a range plinker and a deer rifle. I'm in south Texas so I won't be hiking too much. Mostly stand hunting. That said I don't really want a 13lb rifle. Already have scope for it. My current top choice is a tikka t3x ctr I can get for $905. I would eventually prolly replace the stock down the road. Next choice is a 700sps tactical in 6.5. Has 22" barrel and hogue stock. Would also replace stock down the road at some point. But I would also have to replace trigger or get it worked. $660. Wildcard is a 700magpul for $920. Only possibly benefit it has is a 5r barrel. I don't like the magpul stock. Any opinions? Thanks!

I'm not going with an American. I have considered the rpr. However it's 3lb heavier than the tikka and $250 more

I've heard nothing but good things about the accuracy, smoothness, and value of the T3X but my only personal experience with them is in a gun shop. With Remington 700s, I've seen and heard it's more of a luck of the draw with their newer rifles but none will have as smooth of a bolt as the tikka. Where the 700 shines is in building your own precision rifle from just the receiver.

The 700 has the obvious edge on a lot of aftermarket parts options but Tikka's popularity is starting to build its own, especially for the short action models like what you're asking about. I considered buying one a while back but I needed a long action magnum and it just wasn't compatible with what I was trying to do with it.

If you're after a tactical look for the Tikka it has the options and will be compatible with AI mags depending on what you get. I know XLR and KRG offer quality chassis with the bottom metal built in for around ~$600. For whatever reason, I can't upload a picture I found of a t3 sitting in a KRG but I found it aesthetic.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.