Another "which scope" thread

I have 2 x Athlon Ares. Paid $850 each out the door for them. Awesome scopes. Easily on par with the vortex PST series. In summer of 2018 they are releasing the Ares ETR with 34mm tube, 56mm objective. Not sure on price though.

Anyways, the Ares BTR has a 30mm tube, 50mm objective, FFP, can be had in mil or MOA, true zero stop, high density glass, illuminated reticle, exposed turrets, 100 MOA of elevation travel and 70 windage, shock proof, water proof, and has the no questions asked lifetime warranty. Clicks are loud, tactile, and repeatable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one of my Ares on a custom savage .308 win. As you can see, it's a very clean, conservative looking scope. Hope the pictures do it justice, but when you handle one you can tell it's well built. Glass is excellent, too, btw.

8C35D306-FA71-40FA-AA50-EC557404F642.jpeg

E8EF8F0C-B7FB-429D-848A-300B92274431.jpeg

52210E0E-1CF6-4F35-B23F-AE44790F1378.jpeg
F8E9D16E-77B7-422D-B75F-E148D4E6EFA5.jpeg

I used to think Leupolds were good. No more. Not for what you want to do. What I said in my article I published on this site still stands as good advise. To paraphrase, you can't put a good scope in cheap rings nor can you put a cheap(not to be confused with in-expensive) scope in good rings and expect good results. I have gone to NF and won't buy any other for LR work. I have bought many right here at reasonable prices; but be careful as to who you buy from.
Something else should be mentioned. For long range, you should get at least a 20MOA rail which should help quit a bit in come ups. NF NXS scopes have 65 to 100 MOA come ups, the ATACR has 120 MOA. Not much difference. It also has a 34 MM tube so rings, bubble levels could be more expensive than most 30mm accessories. Don't forget that bubble level!

I used to think Leupolds were good. No more. Not for what you want to do. What I said in my article I published on this site still stands as good advise. To paraphrase, you can't put a good scope in cheap rings nor can you put a cheap(not to be confused with in-expensive) scope in good rings and expect good results. I have gone to NF and won't buy any other for LR work. I have bought many right here at reasonable prices; but be careful as to who you buy from.
Something else should be mentioned. For long range, you should get at least a 20MOA rail which should help quit a bit in come ups. NF NXS scopes have 65 to 100 MOA come ups, the ATACR has 120 MOA. Not much difference. It also has a 34 MM tube so rings, bubble levels could be more expensive than most 30mm accessories. Don't forget that bubble level!

Can you provide some clarification as to why you think Leupolds are no longer good?

My bad! Yes, the Leupold scopes are good scopes. My issue, and it's only a personal point of view, is with all the changes Leupold makes every year. I think if you don't keep the box it came in, you will have a hard time figgering out what you have. And as they are constantly changing, won't resale be very hard? I do believe other brands have leaped forward and met the shooters needs quicker. Just my opinion; I have not bought a Leupold in years but have purchased and am very happy with NF and some Vortex. That's not to say there are other great scopes, including Leupolds; but NF and some Vortexes are all I'm now interested in owning.

So I'm going to go with the Bushnell DMR II after all. Wanted to try something different. And everything I've read on it is positive except for the reticle thickness and even that is said to be ok. But it has all the features I want and supposedly the glass is close to the upper end scopes. Guess I'll find out here soon lol. Thanks for all the suggestions though guys. I'll let y'all know what I think when I get it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts