Yet another "What cartridge?" thread

I'm not a fan of using the 270, 280, 30-06 case etc in the Tikka action if building a rifle. Tikka actions aren't very long. They are perfect for cartridges like the 6.5 prc, 7mm blazer, Sherman mags, etc. If you don't mind shoving the high bc bullets way down in the case than its no big deal. But if you are building a 280ai on a Tikka and using up case capacity with the bullet, you might as well build something like the 284, 7mm-08, etc. You could seat the bullet properly and have about the same capacity.

What cartridge am I searching for??

you seem like someone who isn't afraid to try something different and judging by the responses people are giving neither are they:). Anyway I'd go with 7mm-08 AI. I'm not going to say it outperforms other cartridges mentioned but will say it is a fun, inherently accurate round that should do what you want nicely. You can also neck down 308 brass etc for it. Would like to hear what you go with and how it works out. Happy shooting.

opinions are like... you fill in what ever you feel comfortable with. Everyone has an opinion. This is mine.
Tikka is a good starting place. here is what I hear from you, it will be suppressed, it will be moderate to long range (100 to 800 yards), Do you have a long or short action? all you say is that you have a standard bolt face (.473"). Is your action a 308 case length or 30-06 case length?
Short action I would make a heavy twisted (1:7") 308 so you could launch the 200+ grain slugs sub sonic to use your suppressor.
long action I would put another heavy twist (1:8") barrel on for a 338 A-square AI also to take advantage of your suppressor and long range hunting. you can launch a 300 Grain VLD hunter at something and be assured it will fall in place.
both should be very accurate and effective at ranges to include 800 yards.
I would use Berger VLD Hunter's for both cartridges when shooting heavy slugs.
yes, I am the Maverick of the thread but I give my advice on a case by case basis and give the best advice I can with the information you give.

Later Tatters.

My Tikka 6.5x270 AI had long necks (.270 case) and had the 142smks as long as possible in the mag and had no problems. That being said I didn't like the neck trimming and fire forming. I really discovered I don't like doing brass work and fire forming and just waiting for my rifle to come back as a new .280AI from the Smith. You can buy Nosler .280 AI brass and no fire forming. But if you want a already high power 6.5 try the PRC. If you want to be different try 6.5SLR. Just get winchester .243 brass and resize it to the 6.5SLR dies and you got about 5 more grains then the creedmore.

Nice to see a couple of you guys bring up the 7 x 57, a great cartridge. Just sad to say that in today's world it is a reloader only cartridge. When and if you could find factory ammo it will be loaded at SAMMI specs at around 51000 psi for the older Mauser rifles and the like. Bring those specs up to modern rifles and it will out perform the 7-08. The case, if I remember, is actually .020 longer than the 7-08.

280 has been the very best for me.........280 AI is always on my mind..It all started with the 7 mag. A long time ago........Killed em all for 40 years....I am sure you people are way younger than that.....ha..ha.l.ha....good luck.....?

Only thing I use a std bolt face now is a 6.5-284. There's a reason they are consistently at the top at Williamsport. 284 is also a good cartridge. Love my 7-08ai but don't need a long action. Haven't built a 280ai so can't help there.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.