Not another which rifle is better thread!

Build a custom Savage. (Period) I have 1200-1300 into mine total that's including buying the stevens 200 and stripping it of the action. It flat out shoots! I have 3 other customs including a defiance, stiller, and a built remmy. The savage will outshoot 2 of the 3 and keep pace with the third, all day, every day. If you were around west Michigan area I would prove it to you as I have a few others. Savages are easy and cheap to build, and get the same performance as my 3-4k guns. Change bolt head, trigger if you want, prefit barrel (CBI), lug and nut, and drop in a stock. Yes 1300 and done.

So a few things have changed since I last updated... I had planned to go with the Remington MilSpec 5-R after talking to MudRunner about a few things. Went to order it and was notified that a certain online retail store didn't have any available to ship even though the website said they did. Luckily I hadn't sent any payment yet so that saved me a lot of headache. Checked out a few other retailers and to no surprise, everywhere else was significantly more expensive and/or didn't have any in stock. LGS around me were unable to track any down so that was that.

I put a call into Euro Optics tonight around 8:30pm and found out they had the Savage 110 FCP HS in .300 Win Mag in stock and ready to ship immediately, and at a cheaper price than I had seen anywhere else. Needless to say, I placed an order with AJ and my rifle will be shipped as soon as I send him an FFL license. I'll keep this thread updated with pictures and everything once I receive it. Looking forward to getting this puppy to the range and stretching its legs.

Also I can't recommend Euro Optics enough. I had an invoice in my e-mail before I got off the phone with them. Great communication and great guys to deal with. Barring any issues with my order, I will absolutely do business with them again.

These are pics from when I was doing load development....100m 4 shots

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 68
I'm sure your savage will perform....if not to your liking by chance, it doesn't take much to fix it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 73
Sorry last one. For those that don't believe savages will shoot; for cheap. This the 168 Amax load I settled on. 4 shots @ 100m. Good day

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 90
So a few things have changed since I last updated... I had planned to go with the Remington MilSpec 5-R after talking to MudRunner about a few things. Went to order it and was notified that a certain online retail store didn't have any available to ship even though the website said they did. Luckily I hadn't sent any payment yet so that saved me a lot of headache. Checked out a few other retailers and to no surprise, everywhere else was significantly more expensive and/or didn't have any in stock. LGS around me were unable to track any down so that was that.

I put a call into Euro Optics tonight around 8:30pm and found out they had the Savage 110 FCP HS in .300 Win Mag in stock and ready to ship immediately, and at a cheaper price than I had seen anywhere else. Needless to say, I placed an order with AJ and my rifle will be shipped as soon as I send him an FFL license. I'll keep this thread updated with pictures and everything once I receive it. Looking forward to getting this puppy to the range and stretching its legs.

Also I can't recommend Euro Optics enough. I had an invoice in my e-mail before I got off the phone with them. Great communication and great guys to deal with. Barring any issues with my order, I will absolutely do business with them again.

since you are definitely going with the savage, go join savageshooters.com forum.
LOTS of knowledge over there on savages. I am a member there as well and im sure some other guys here are too. The savage you got will no doubt shoot well out of the box BUT if you are one of the very unlucky (very few) that do not shoot well, Don't stress....go post over on that other forum. Very helpful people. Obviously follow barrel break-in procedures. If you do not reload, you should start if you really want to get into 1000 yard shooting.

Your next step will be to pick out some optics! Don't go cheap here either. You don't need to go ultra expensive, but definitely don't go cheap. Check out the vortex viper PST models.

since you are definitely going with the savage, go join savageshooters.com forum.
LOTS of knowledge over there on savages. I am a member there as well and im sure some other guys here are too. The savage you got will no doubt shoot well out of the box BUT if you are one of the very unlucky (very few) that do not shoot well, Don't stress....go post over on that other forum. Very helpful people. Obviously follow barrel break-in procedures. If you do not reload, you should start if you really want to get into 1000 yard shooting.

Your next step will be to pick out some optics! Don't go cheap here either. You don't need to go ultra expensive, but definitely don't go cheap. Check out the vortex viper PST models.

Thanks for the advice. I have been on there quite a bit and there is a lot of good information on there. I'll definitely be using it as a reference but probably won't be too invoved... I can deal without the supporters and overly biased opinions for the most part. LRH is cool because it's people and information from a bunch of different backgrounds/experience, and I feel like that has more merit than a forum dedicated solely to Savage owners.

Updated order:

- Savage 110 FCP HS Precision .300 Win Mag
- Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm EBR-1 MOA
- Nightforce 1 piece Savage long action 20MOA base
- Seekins Precision 30mm .87" medium height scope rings
- Harris S-BRM 6"-9" bipod w/ leg notches

Also going to be getting a Karsten adjustable cheek piece and Badger Ordnance Thruster brake down the road. This setup should more than hold me for the time being though.

Now I have to wait what seems like an eternity to receive it all!!

Thanks for the advice. I have been on there quite a bit and there is a lot of good information on there. I'll definitely be using it as a reference but probably won't be too invoved... I can deal without the supporters and overly biased opinions for the most part. LRH is cool because it's people and information from a bunch of different backgrounds/experience, and I feel like that has more merit than a forum dedicated solely to Savage owners.

Updated order:

- Savage 110 FCP HS Precision .300 Win Mag
- Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm EBR-1 MOA
- Nightforce 1 piece Savage long action 20MOA base
- Seekins Precision 30mm .87" medium height scope rings
- Harris S-BRM 6"-9" bipod w/ leg notches

Also going to be getting a Karsten adjustable cheek piece and Badger Ordnance Thruster brake down the road. This setup should more than hold me for the time being though.

Now I have to wait what seems like an eternity to receive it all!!

I didn't mean join savageshooters to support savages....or become a supporter but to get answers to savage specific questions. I mean they really can answer everything from what parts you need for which after market stocks, to which bolt faces will work with which take-off barrels. People are always trading with people who want to swap parts to be able to use different calibers. I have yet to see a post over there under the gunsmithing section that does not answer someone's question. Just saying, now that you own a savage...if you ever want to bed it, change the barrel, change caliber, have any issues...that is the site to go to. I love this site too and for all my shooting questions or non savage questions I will come here, but for anything savage I go there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.