Another "which scope" thread

I thought about trying to find a used razor but I didn't think I could find an ATACR cheap enough

The 1st Gen razors are available and are about as solid as you can get at your $1300 price range.

Last edited:
nxs all the way at that price point.

NXS for $1300? Although that's about what they're worth compared to other available scopes, they still sell new for over $2K and decent used condition for around $1500-$1600.

My used 5.5-22x50 came with rings for $1,250. Hs, zs, illuminated. If he's patient he could find one for that. SH, is a good place to look for used glass.

I also picked up a boxed, perfect condition, very slightly used NXS 2.5-10x42 for $1100. They can be had for good prices.

Does anyone have experience with the new Leupold VX-6HD 4x24x52 Scope?
I have been looking at this one pretty seriously for my lightweight LR hunting rifle build. I like that its only about 24 ounces, as weight is a very big concern with my gun build. The turrets seem nice with the locking buttons on them to prevent them from getting moved while in the scabbard. I need a scope that performs well out to 1,000+ but doesn't weight to much.

I have been looking at this one pretty seriously for my lightweight LR hunting rifle build. I like that its only about 24 ounces, as weight is a very big concern with my gun build. The turrets seem nice with the locking buttons on them to prevent them from getting moved while in the scabbard. I need a scope that performs well out to 1,000+ but doesn't weight to much.
That's at the top of my list for consideration on my next lightweight build also.

I used one for one season on a Pierce titanium action with a Christensen carbon barrel. At the same time I had a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 (18 oz) and three Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 (22 oz). On 13" wide deer antlers 131 yards away with the woods as a background none was better than the other for low light. The VX-6 and the Bushnells were about the same on my optics chart 127 yards away during day light. They were barely better than the Swarovski.

No reasonable person would say the z5 doesn't have good glass. But there was something I didn't noticed about it and the Bushnells. When I laid the VX-6 on the sandbag and looked through it the first time I was amazed! at the brighter green of the grass between the porch and the pump house where the optics chart is. The colors on the trees and pump house and everything were more vibrant.

I don't remember any dislike except the turrets were a little mushy.

I have the VX6HD 4-24x52 on my lightweight 300 WM. As stated earlier, the glass is fantastic and the turrets have been rock solid so far. I really like the locking knobs. It's a very nice feature packed scope. I have the Impact 23 reticle in mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.