Yet another "What cartridge?" thread

hwy1strat

I know these threads are posted all the time. I am just looking for opinions and mostly for someone to sell me on what cartridge to go with.

Anyway, I just picked up a Tikka action(standard bolt face) to use for a build. I know exactly how I want to set it up, but I am not sure what caliber I should go with. I already have a 6.5 creedmoor, 30-06, and 300winmag hunting rifles. I plan on building this to be a shorter barrel (22"), medium sized game (mule deer and antelope), and I'd like it to be a nice blend between light weight but still comfortable to be shot out far (goal is to be effective on game out to 800yards). I have always wanted a 6.5x284, but now that I have my 6.5 creedmoor, I was thinking along the lines of a 270win or a 280AI.

I plan on doing a Manners MCS-T stock, a 22" carbon barrel, and a swarovski x5 scope. I plan on suppressing it too, which is why I want a shorter barrel.

What cartridge am I searching for??

Last edited:
A .270 Win with a 150g LRAB is what I did got for Daughter #1. We hunt around 7000' altitude and at that altitude it retains 2032fps and 1376fpe at 800. Since she won't be shooting past 600 max, that is more than enough.

For myself, I have a 6.5-06AI. Shooting 130g Scirocco II at 3161fps. At 800 it retains 2205fps and 1403fps and is a little gentler on the shoulder. I fire-form brass from .25-06. Both the fire-form and AI loads have been extremely accurate. I call that rifle my "600 yard clay pigeon shooter" because I've had hit rates as high as 80% when the wind wasn't blowing.

These days I would strongly consider the 6.5PRC.

If you thought you wanted a 6.5x284, but ended up with a creed (which aren't comparable are they), wouldn't the 6.5 PRC fit your needs? From what I was led to believe, the 6.5 PRCis supposed to be the masses 6.5x284 without all of the issues associated with different variants.

I'm a 7RM fan, shooting a 22" proof. I'd say 280AI or one of the sharman varieties would be neat (since you already have a 6.5).
OR, sell the CM and build a PRC.... then report back on what you learn so that I can live vicariously through you!!!

If you thought you wanted a 6.5x284, but ended up with a creed (which aren't comparable are they), wouldn't the 6.5 PRC fit your needs? From what I was led to believe, the 6.5 PRCis supposed to be the masses 6.5x284 without all of the issues associated with different variants.

I'm a 7RM fan, shooting a 22" proof. I'd say 280AI or one of the sharman varieties would be neat (since you already have a 6.5).
OR, sell the CM and build a PRC.... then report back on what you learn so that I can live vicariously through you!!!

I know the 6.5 creed isn't comparable to the 6.5x284. That being said the 6.5 creed was the perfect cartridge for that build. I built a 20" barrel on a big horn tl3 and I absolutely love it. The 6.5x284 wasn't the best option for a short barrel, from what I read. That being said, I plan to pick up a 6.5PRC barrel for that action since refits are so readily available now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.