XX-XX Cartridge Definition

bill123

This one has completely slipped past me.
What does this mean? For example, what is a 6.5-7mm cartridge?

So that was a dumb question.

I assume the nomenclature is only used if you are necking down between 2 cartridges of different case capacities?

For example, when I necked down 7 SAUM brass to 6.5 SAUM, it wouldn't be called 6.5-7 SAUM right?

I assume the nomenclature is only used if you are necking down between 2 cartridges of different case capacities?

For example, when I necked down 7 SAUM brass to 6.5 SAUM, it wouldn't be called 6.5-7 SAUM right?
it's still a 6.5-7 SAUM but that is the same thing as 6.5 SAUM.
It more helps clarify when there is differences in parent case capacity with the same name. Say you wanted to do a 270 PRC. Well which case are you using because that makes a big difference in the performance 270-6.5 PRC, 270-7 PRC or 270-300 PRC.

I'd say it's really only called that if you are making a wildcat or new cartridge... Otherwise you are just making 6.5 saum ammunition out of 7 saum brass.

Another way to think about it- if you are having a barrel or reamer made- you wouldn't necessarily specify that you are making 6.5 saum from 7mm saum brass, you would just order a 6.5 saum barrel.

(This has some technicalities such as some people order specific neck dimensions for using sized down brass for neck clearance without turning necks, but hopefully that first description makes sense)

Since the 30-06 came out before the 270win, the 270win should be 27-06. That could only be in what brand for brand would do, but Winchester isn't going to call it a 27-06 Springfield.

Since the 30-06 came out before the 270win, the 270win should be 27-06. That could only be in what brand for brand would do, but Winchester isn't going to call it a 27-06 Springfield.
The 270 Win was created from a necked down 30-'03 cartridge (also called a 30-45 at one point) - so 270-'03. My wife's a history major, forgive me :)

I agree with @FrogFire7. However, it is not definitive which 7MM parent case, i.e., Rem, WSM, SAUM, WBY, etc.

The 270 Win was created from a necked down 30-'03 cartridge (also called a 30-45 at one point) - so 270-'03. My wife's a history major, forgive me :)
Seems the parent case for the '06 was the' 03 also.

Your answers are confusing.
Making 25-06 from 30-06 brass is NOT referenced as 25 30-06 is it? This is just forming 1 case from another, same as 264WM from 7RM.
However, making a 6.5-7mm Mauser is correctly referred to as such.
Making a 6.5 300WSM is a new design, therefore the PARENT case is defined in the name, as a 6.5 270WSM is dimensionally different.
This is why such new cases as the 6.5-300 Weatherby are defined as such, so no confusion about the parent case is questionable.
I named my own wildcats so they were easily identifiable, 300-416 Rigby Improved 40°, 338-416 Rigby Improved 45° and 375-416 Rigby Improved 40°. There were shortened versions too, but I just added SHORT to their designation and all had 35° shoulders.

Cheers.

Nothing is stardized outside of Sami standardized rounds, bit of the wild west really. Some get the (-) others get names. 6.5saum had a dash for some versions but the gap 4s it's a saum wildcat but different from a straight neck down. 22 redline is essentially a 22-7 saum with a neck trim, it can get a bit tricky as lots of folks do little tweaks to each derivative.

I think most - cartridges are un modified neck downs, but as the 270 proves exceptions.

Best case scenario, if your buying a gun or barrel for a cartridge with a -.... get lots of info.

Either the 7wsm or the 270wsm cannot use the same go/no-go's. I don't think it's the saum line. Somewhere on the pt&g site is where I found it?