Wyoming elk units 19 and 23. How much of these is private land?

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Guys,

I am concidering burning my points this year on a decent elk unit. I am shying away from the really popular units like 58, 54/65 61 etc......because I really want to apply for a tag that I know I will have a very high chance of getting drawn. High meaning 85% or higher with max points. I also would like to nail down a hunt that starts October 1st. This limits my choices even further. 19 and 23 seem like they have very high draw odds, October 1st start and a reputation for some decent bulls even though they are not known for huge bulls.

My concern is that I hear both units have alot of private land. What I dont know yet is how that will affect me. Is there adequete public land in either unit? Are there any private land owners that will allow access for free or even for a price? If so, how much money could I expect to fork out?

All in all, I am mainly concerned with a 10/1 start date with the type that I can go archery in September as well, high odds of drawing, having access to either public or private if accessible with a good chance at a 330" bull. More importantly, I really just want to GO this year.

Any help or advice or opinions are appreciated.

M

If you can get ahold of Jan issue of Eastman's Journal it will give you alot of good info. Unit 23 has about 50% public land and 19 has about 45%, 23 is a little bigger and seems to have better access to the public stuff. Check out this map it is very helpful. Wyoming Hunt Units and Hunter Success It is from 08 but I think it is better then google earth. Good Luck in the draw.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.