Wyoming 90-10, it’s starting

Many wardens (all of them in my area of WY) drive ten+ year old beaters. Regardless, states have the right to spend their funds how they deem necessary.
Personally, I would be happy to see our wardens get a new ride since they spend much of their time in the back country alone on marginal roads/two tracks in potentially hazardous conditions.
What a warden drives has no bearing on this issue. Comparing apples to golf balls.
You are right I did go off on a tangent there a little bit. But i was trying to encompass an answer for possible rebuttals to the loss of funds. I'm also pretty passionate about government waste… especially locally. I'm also pretty bitter toward WGFD because of the blatant waste and the absolute disregard for actually managing the animals. The 90/10 is the first good thing to come out of the department in years.. it's neutral for the animals but good for the residents.

Fair point indeed.

Someone should perhaps write them and suggest a special draw for kids under a certain age. I think 16 would be a good place to start.
That might work for the first generation, but when they turn 17 and can't hunt anymore are they going to lose interest or pass that opportunity down to their children?

Also, if the tags are allocated mostly to outfitters it will be extremely cost prohibitive to even take your children on a hunt. Paying outrageous guide prices, tag fees, tipping the guides, paying the outfitter guest fees for your own meals and lodging (not to mention those for any other family members you want to take), plus basically allowing another person to run the show and be the one ultimately teaching your child to hunt. Add to that losing the satisfaction of accomplishing something on your own.

Then what about taking children along that are too young to hunt to get them involved at a young age? I'd love to take my entire family along on a hunt and let the littles explore near the camp while I pursue game, but that's a pretty expensive proposition through an outfitter.

Ultimately I understand that the state gets to decide its tag allocation to NR hunters, but the idea of forcing NR hunters to acquire their tags through an outfitter is basically just ensuring that only the rich will be hunting.

In regard to those saying to move to Wyoming if you don't like it, there are not enough jobs or resources to support all the people that would like to hunt in Wyoming. Outfitters and real estate tycoons have already been buying up as much land as possible in the state and the prices out there compared to what I saw 10 years ago are astronomical.

Unfortunately it seems that hunting is no longer about tradition or self reliance and is just another commercialized source of revenue, and it's happening in every state, not just Wyoming. People with the "Eff you, go somewhere else" attitude certainly aren't helping keep the tradition alive for ANY future generations, and I certainly don't want to teach my children to behave like that.

As a NR who has always hunted with an outfitter and guides in WY, it will be interesting to see if licenses go to outfitters if/when they go to 90/10 for elk, deer and antelope. If they do, it would seem the state may be putting some of their residents (the guides) out of work due to less NR hunters. Would be interesting to see data on how many residents use an outfitter/guide, anyone know?
Guides will still be in high demand. Many are on a 3 to 5 year waiting list.

Just got done with union negotiations for work, reading 6 pages here and starting another thread on 90/10. I'm a little high strung and opinionated so time to cool off and look at the facts.
Corrected= Like it or not the (people) of the state of Wyoming ( just like most the other states) owns the wildlife and the state is responsible for the maintenance of wildlife within its borders.
Like it or not Federal lands fall within the state borders.
Like it or not sooner or later the point system will not be effective.....point creep!
What im not going to wait and see on is what the plan is for elk,deer and antelope.....They are deffinatly going to hear my opinion on outfitters/ landowner preferences and the cost of tags!
Equal for all involved....not just the ones that can afford it!

Last edited:
Just got done with union negotiations for work, reading 6 pages here and starting another thread on 90/10. I'm a little high strung and opinionated so time to cool off and look at the facts.
Like it or not the state of Wyoming ( just like all the other states) owns and is responsible for the maintenance of wildlife within its borders.
Like it or not sooner or later the point system will not be effective.....point creep!
What im not going to wait and see on is what the plan is for elk,deer and antelope.....They are deffinatly going to hear my opinion on outfitters/ landowner preferences and the cost of tags!
Equal for all involved....not just the ones that can afford it!
I'm in the middle of negotiations as well. So far 5 days total and start tomorrow for the 6th day at 8:00am. Started this thread as discussion, I don't feel like arguing anymore either. There is enough of that at negotiations.

I agree with the residents having priority. Just stinks for the nonresidents.

Took 8 days to jerk us around and final with 3%,a few trinkets and possible bonus %s....the bottom line to the rank and file was we didnt loose anything to an Australian company who could care less past the spread sheets.
For me on 90/10 point creep may be less for the moose tag dangleing but the tag is gonna cost me a lot more!
Lots of ifs and maybes in the tag game, wolves,bears,hard winters and rule changes make it a real gamble.
I'm torn because the tag savings is not likely to offset the cost for the average hunter. The last thing I want to see is this turning into a money game resident or not!

I'm torn because the tag savings is not likely to offset the cost for the average hunter. The last thing I want to see is this turning into a money game resident or not!

Much like Texas hunting.

I guess my hope of a Wyoming elk hunt has officially ended. I do agree that residents should have first shot at the golden ticket though.
So where do we go now for a chance to hunt elk? Or does it not exist?

Like it or not the state of Wyoming ( just like all the other states) owns and is responsible for the maintenance of wildlife within its borders.
Well..as far as I know..not quite right....
Sure..the f&g are managers of the wildlife...but most states DO NOT own the animals...if that was the case there would be a lot of lawsuits for fatalities and car accidents due to hitting wildlife....
As far as I know...Arizona is the only one state that actually owns the elk in the state....(maybe more back east since more have been purchased and imported)...I remember a herd of elk got wiped out on a hwy by a Nissan cuv....about 20 critters...some dead..some crippled...state of AZ paid for the car damages...an locals grabbed trucks and wreckers to keep the animals from spoiling....it was a mess....
State of AZ brought the animals in...they own those elk.....
Resident elk found in other states 'were mostly' there before mankind and state boundaries.....

Here in NY it has always been my understanding that, technically, the wildlife in the state belong to the people of the state. The DEC is authorized to maintain wildlife populations at environmentally sound levels for the enjoyment of all, including non-hunters.

I'm fine with state mandated regulations even if there is no non-resident hunting. But ... the issue of hunting on Federal land, within any particular state, certainly could be an issue.

Recent Posts