Wyoming 90-10, it’s starting

For me on 90/10 point creep may be less for the moose tag dangleing but the tag is gonna cost me a lot more!

Why will it cost you a lot more? There's not a lot of moose tags in this state and the number moving from non-resident to resident is relatively small. The State listed out on the bill the revenue loss of going to 90/10. It was just under $200,000 a year. That's nothing in the big scheme of things. The G&F has plenty of money, but if things were that dire, they could raise tag costs $1 and more than make up any shortfall for 90/10...

Actually with what they've done people who have been building points for years under the old system stand a good chance of now not living long enough to draw.

That just isn't right by any definition of right or fairness we have in this country.

Seriously they should offer a refund to those who want out due to the new rules and should make those points something you can transfer to others, especially as part of an estate should you die before you draw.
Every nonresident point holder still holds the same amount of points they did before 90/10, so why are they due a refund for the points they purchased? Many point holders (nonres and res) will never draw a big 5 tag in their lifetime. Also, life is not fair...

Every nonresident point holder still holds the same amount of points they did before 90/10, so why are they due a refund for the points they purchased? Many point holders (nonres and res) will never draw a big 5 tag in their lifetime. Also, life is not fair...
Because their chances of drawing just got cut by about 70%.

That's not the system they signed up to participate in.

I did not say it was right, and was telling the guy I quoted that if he had drawn, he wouldn't be in this conversation and thinking a full refund was justified. Same goes for you, asking or demanding a full refund at this point is just wow.
Now enter the transfer of points to a beneficiary, that is a good one.
I am by far not an advocate of WYG&F, and have absolutely nothing against NR hunters, and if they did offer some form of relief, I am fine with it.
But aging out of a system that never was a guarantee, it was a system to improve odds of a draw, surely IMO does not constitute a full refund.
I think it does at their prospective hunter's discretion.

The change in the system just sent their chances of ever drawing straight into the crapper.

I would suggest that the chances were cut by a lot more than that.

By eliminating the Random tags those with less than max points have essentially zero points to draw in any one year.
Add up the number of people ahead of you in points, divide by available points-only tags, and you have the number of years until you might draw. At least up until now "someone" got the random tag, but now no one gets it because it's gone. A small chance at a hunt of a lifetime by a random tag is far better than zero chance due to the number of points holders ahead in line.

I think that WYG&F might have been ahead to keep 1 random tag for each rather than have them all points-only.

Tag numbers (and drawing odds) in each unit change yearly due to many factors, that can be both environmental and governmental. Are you suggesting that Wyoming should prorate the cost for points yearly, based on the change in drawing odds? Or, should they just give everyone a refund now since the legislature passed a bill nonresident hunters don't like? I mean you still own the points you paid for...

One would be foolish to invest in a 20+ year endgame and not expect changes in regulations/populations during that time. That is part of the risk you sign up (pay) for in the western big game application lottery.

Tag numbers (and drawing odds) in each unit change yearly due to many factors, that can be both environmental and governmental. Are you suggesting that Wyoming should prorate the cost for points yearly, based on the change in drawing odds? Or, should they just give everyone a refund now since the legislature passed a bill nonresident hunters don't like? I mean you still own the points you paid for...

One would be foolish to invest in a 20+ year endgame and not expect changes in regulations/populations during that time. That is part of the risk you sign up (pay) for in the western big game application lottery.
No, I'm saying that since they have changed the system making it all but impossible many of the people paying into the points system for years to ever be able to draw a tag.

This isn't a change in annual tag numbers because of natural fluctuations in the game population.

I'm not sure why this is even a question.

If you were playing Blackjack and had 20 but then the dealer said "oh sorry we're playing 27", to make you lose, would you be okay with that?

If you were playing Blackjack and had 20 but then the dealer said "oh sorry we're playing 27", to make you lose, would you be okay with that?
Its not blackjack, its a lottery. How many PP's do you have? Do you want a refund?

Its not blackjack, its a lottery. How many PP's do you have? Do you want a refund?

It's actually not a lottery. The random draw tag is the lottery.

I would absolutely want a refund if I was close to max points and had my odds cut 70+%.

I would absolutely want a refund if I was close to max points and had my odds cut 70+%.
So for 20-26 yrs you have driven others odds down, all the while driving their costs up, now it is time to cash out.
So if Joe Blow, who had the exact same points as you, same time in, etc.. but drew a lic 2 yrs ago, are you going to float him a few hundred of your refund because by playing you were ultimately nothing but a disruption to the system, and it cost you nothing to do so?
Bernie would like for you to share the wealth here.

Recent Posts