Wyoming 90-10, it’s starting

It depends of the game are doing damage on our farm. If the elk are doing damage, it's my problem and if it's tags and hunting, they are the states game! Lol
No doubt, landowners get slighted, all over the country. Deer and Antelope around here were lucky we had a mild winter this yr. I am sure there have been yrs where ranchers feeding cattle were the only reason some deer herds survived. Though that is never in the local newspaper, and, not sure if it is still a thing, but the 5 buck landowner coupon from licenses were just tokens.

I apologize for my immense ignorance and will try to do better in the future.......and keep my dream alive to one day hunt for elk in Wyoming.

Become a Wyoming resident then, you dirty non-res.

;)

Become a Wyoming resident then, you dirty non-res.

;)
Do you have any land to sell me for cheap? I always wanted to own land in Wyoming. I would move there in a minute if it wasn't so cold and have to deal with snow all winter. Here in Texas winter is a few days long at a time.

Do you have any land to sell me for cheap? I always wanted to own land in Wyoming. I would move there in a minute if it wasn't so cold and have to deal with snow all winter. Here in Texas winter is a few days long at a time.

No, I live in Georgia. Not really sure why I'm in this thread. Lol

I too would love to hunt out there one day.

Like I said, the reduction of NR tags isn't the main thing I have issue with (even though it is disappointing for us NR hunters). It's the proposed outfitter tags that I see as the bigger problem. It will effectively quadruple the price to hunt there and a decent elk unit will probably cost 12x as much as a DIY hunt. That's pretty much just pricing the average hunter right out of the state. I understand there are other places to hunt, but the attraction of Wyoming in my opinion is that it has been pretty much the most NR friendly state to hunt in. I can see how that would irritate residents, and understand changing the tag allocation, but the outfitter thing is just a money grab. It's an attempt to replace the tag and point sales that they would be losing with outfitter fees to try to keep a similar cash flow into the state. If they want to decrease NR tags then they should be ready to accept that they are going to see reduced cash flows from out of state rather than simply excluding an entire group of people based on economic status.
It's gov't, instead of counting on less revenue they'll probably just raise the price on the remaining NR tags and people will pay it until it just gets to the point they've priced themselves out of the market.

I am lost on the full refund thing here. I am not saying that a pct of your point money shouldn't be on the table. Your odds changed, doesn't mean you are shut out completely. Wouldn't disease, depravation, etc,,, things out of anyone's control also altered your odds of a draw? Only so many licenses are issued yearly, and I would imagine that changes all the time.
You gambled with your money here, if you drew a tag last fall, you wouldn't be in this conversation, because you won. But you still haven't lost, it's just the chances have diminished some.
Aging out isn't a fault of WYG&F, and I am relatively sure they have a plan to take on all comers, or had a settlement figure in mind before making this decision.
But demanding a full refund on a game you or anyone chose to participate in, I am going to quit here.
Actually with what they've done people who have been building points for years under the old system stand a good chance of now not living long enough to draw.

That just isn't right by any definition of right or fairness we have in this country.

Seriously they should offer a refund to those who want out due to the new rules and should make those points something you can transfer to others, especially as part of an estate should you die before you draw.

You have to be very careful about that. You can only legally have a residence in one state and they do check.

If you're driving around with Texas tags and a Texas DL and hunting with a resident license and tag it's probably not going to end well.

You have to be very careful about that. You can only legally have a residence in one state and they do check.

If you're driving around with Texas tags and a Texas DL and hunting with a resident license and tag it's probably not going to end well.
Outsmarted again .... Time to come up with plan b. How about if a resident adopted me?

Actually with what they've done people who have been building points for years under the old system stand a good chance of now not living long enough to draw.

That just isn't right by any definition of right or fairness we have in this country.

Seriously they should offer a refund to those who want out due to the new rules and should make those points something you can transfer to others, especially as part of an estate should you die before you draw.
I did not say it was right, and was telling the guy I quoted that if he had drawn, he wouldn't be in this conversation and thinking a full refund was justified. Same goes for you, asking or demanding a full refund at this point is just wow.
Now enter the transfer of points to a beneficiary, that is a good one.
I am by far not an advocate of WYG&F, and have absolutely nothing against NR hunters, and if they did offer some form of relief, I am fine with it.
But aging out of a system that never was a guarantee, it was a system to improve odds of a draw, surely IMO does not constitute a full refund.

I am not sure how you can be one or two points away from drawing a tag. As a resident I have been two points away from drawing a moose tag in a certain area for about five years. Everyone else gets a point each year also. I don't think it was fair to make that drastic of a change all at once. Of course I am not the one who sets the rules.

Last edited: