WSM vs Standard

jakebrake

Well I been reloading a lil while.But in my mind I think the WSM really isnt wat it was hyped up too be.Stuff can be hard to find at times.Plus do you think you really get that much extra out of the WSM for the added price?

I might agree with the 7mm and the 300 versions given the traditional 7mmRem, and 300WM, but I think the 270WSM is an excellent round that will provide a meaningful velocity increase(150-200 FPS) over the 270 Win, very accurate, and easy to reload. I never had a problem finding brass.

WSM and SAUM both are efficient alternatives to traditional magnums and far exceed most SA rounds. They certainly have a place. Don't forget about 6.5 shorts. Components are hard to find from time to time. Buy a lot when they are available . They are winners no doubt.

Building a rifle in 7WSM was one of my best decisions. Exceptionally accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I use it predominantly for hunting whitetails beyond the traditional range. The cartridge provides plenty of energy and flat trajectory without having the kind of recoil that warrants a muzzle brake.

The only downside to the 7WSM is brass availability, although you can reform 270WSM or 300WSM brass which is readily available.

I like my 7mag. L.A. you can gain a little bit of velocity with it but not enough to make any difference. Also I guess the short actions can be more accurate, that could be debated too.

Many positives for short mags. No belt to consider, short actions if weight is a concern for you, and it's no coincidence that all the popular benchrest rounds (6mm BR, 6XC, the PPC's, etc) have the same shorter powder column. I'm not dissing the 7RM or 300 mags, but the shorties got a lot going for them.

What will a 264WM do that my 6.5 saum won't do? Bark more and kick more.....

Many positives for short mags. No belt to consider, short actions if weight is a concern for you, and it's no coincidence that all the popular benchrest rounds (6mm BR, 6XC, the PPC's, etc) have the same shorter powder column. I'm not dissing the 7RM or 300 mags, but the shorties got a lot going for them.

What's the water capacity of each? What's the working pressure of each?

Get there quicker, actually.
My 264WM out performs ANY of the short mags by a considerable margin.
If you can't handle the recoil of a 264WM, you need to do something else.

gun)

Well I been reloading a lil while.But in my mind I think the WSM really isnt wat it was hyped up too be.Stuff can be hard to find at times.Plus do you think you really get that much extra out of the WSM for the added price?

I don't know about the other Mags. but with the 7 wsm you don't gain anything in fact the L.A. belted 7 mag. you gain a little in velocity.

I don't know about the other Mags. but with the 7 wsm you don't gain anything in fact the L.A. belted 7 mag. you gain a little in velocity.

Is that with the same barrel length in both calibers? I'm getting 2900+ fps with my 7 SAUM in a 22" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.