WSM Takeover

Jud96

With Lapua's recent announcement for plans to produce 300 WSM and with ADG, Peterson, and Norma producing or planning to produce brass, does this sway some of you to consider the 300 WSM or a "wildcat" based off the WSM, such as the 7-300 WSM or 6.5 WSM, for future builds or barrels? I know this has me thinking of playing around with the 300 WSM and maybe a 7mm and/or a 6.5 made on the WSM case. I think this case is very very similar in performance to the 7PRC, but has proven itself already in long range benchrest and F-Class to be very accurate and consistent. I feel anything PRC is the easy button in the long run, but the WSM is hard to ignore for handloaders and those with properly spec'd chambers. Thoughts?

With Lapua's recent announcement for plans to produce 300 WSM and with ADG, Peterson, and Norma producing or planning to produce brass, does this sway some of you to consider the 300 WSM or a "wildcat" based off the WSM, such as the 7-300 WSM or 6.5 WSM, for future builds or barrels? I know this has me thinking of playing around with the 300 WSM and maybe a 7mm and/or a 6.5 made on the WSM case. I think this case is very very similar in performance to the 7PRC, but has proven itself already in long range benchrest and F-Class to be very accurate and consistent. I feel anything PRC is the easy button in the long run, but the WSM is hard to ignore for handloaders and those with properly spec'd chambers. Thoughts?
Agreed 100%

Back in 2000/2001, myself and a buddy were running several wildcats and rifles off the 300 WSM case, including new Winchester actions in both short and standard lengths, with the following calibres, 6mm, 25, 6.5, 27 & 33. We gave a 375 a go, but ballistics were woefully bad.
Of all, only the 25 and 6.5 got numerous orders, the others were few and far between. We were asked to do a 35 cal version and it is now known as the 35 Sambar wildcat. I only built one rifle on a short action Model 70 and it worked out very well.
The WSM case is a superior design to the PRC, but seeing it is not NEW and surrounded in hype, it's just another old round selling in the middle road without a lot of interest. I adored my 2, one 25 Pronghorn and the 6.5 version, but I have gone back to my 264WM and either 25-06 or 257 Bee…

Cheers.

Keep in mind the action length. Mine is built on a Defiance short action with the extended Wyatt's bottom metal and I fight the COAL length. I believe a medium or preferably a long action will yield the best results especially with those long projectiles.

I have two .300 WSMs. We shall see when it is time to re-barrel.
Keep in mind the action length. Mine is built on a Defiance short action with the extended Wyatt's bottom metal and I fight the COAL length. I believe a medium or preferably a long action will yield the best results especially with those long projectiles.
Both of mine are factory rifles and suffer from <3" COAL. It is still not too shabby, though - propels the 215 Berger at 2850 FPS.

Back in 2000/2001, myself and a buddy were running several wildcats and rifles off the 300 WSM case, including new Winchester actions in both short and standard lengths, with the following calibres, 6mm, 25, 6.5, 27 & 33. We gave a 375 a go, but ballistics were woefully bad.
Of all, only the 25 and 6.5 got numerous orders, the others were few and far between. We were asked to do a 35 cal version and it is now known as the 35 Sambar wildcat. I only built one rifle on a short action Model 70 and it worked out very well.
The WSM case is a superior design to the PRC, but seeing it is not NEW and surrounded in hype, it's just another old round selling in the middle road without a lot of interest. I adored my 2, one 25 Pronghorn and the 6.5 version, but I have gone back to my 264WM and either 25-06 or 257 Bee…

Cheers.
The 6.8 Western is very much a WSM cartridge. Us reloaders now have another option for 6.8 Western Brass. Easy to convert 300 WSM brass to 6.8 Western.

I'm building a 270WSM now on a long action Kelbly Lite with 200 freebore. Using the Hawkins Hunter bottom metal with the 300PRC Hunter mag with spacer kit. Will make for nice clean setup and feeding.
Have both Norma and Nosler head stamped brass for it already. Will be nice to have another option for WSM brass though. I also own two 300WSMs and a 7mmWSM as well. All are great shooters.

Last edited:
I have a 300wsm in a short action but I shoot the 155 scenars. It's smoking and I have been a huge fan. I use Hawkins Hunter DBM and haven't been restricted with the mag…but realize that's a lighter bullet than most use.

I'm a wsm fan and yes, Lapua doing brass certainly helps when deciding on a next build.

The WSM case is one of the easiest to tune for accuracy and remains MY top caliber to load for hunting at extended ranges.
6.5 and 270 versions are the ones i have had chambered.
i have no personal experience With the 30 cal version. I have some friends that are 300 wsm shooters and all are very happy.
In the 6.5 version throats wear fast , but managed as i have 2 rifles set up ,so i dont have to wait for another bbl set back or new bbl chambering.
i own a reamer so the chambers are easier to load with the same die set up. i love this cal that much.
i use 270 wsm brass , one step resizing to neck down ,with no neck turning .
brass has been hard to find and still have some norma brass still in use .
i did find some win brand brass , old stock at a gun shop,
not a preferred brand but after sorting and primer pocket work i have had good results.
lapua ,alpha,peterson brand 270 wsm brass for sale seems like a unicorn , im very hopeful it will happen but not holding my breath.
in the back of my mind i was thinking i would have to change chamber choice based on the lack of brass for it .