Wrong Bullet in Berger Box!

Pretty hard to come down on Berger's QC. Or should I say pretty easy for those that are very removed from the process to make judgments. Lack of caring and only want your money, really? Demanding to know their process and what they are going to do to fix it to your satisfaction, really? I am sure that it is ultimately important to Berger to run mistake free. Seems to me that the ultimate QC is in the hands of the loader. The op did a great job of catching the error. I think the point here was to make others aware that they must always pay attention to the loading process. Personal responsibility is the word of the day.

Personal responsibility is the word of the day.

Proud Of You Reaction GIF

🙌

I see a lot of people complaining that there aren't enough components out there, myself included. So companies are ramping up production in order to fill that need. That means hiring new people to work, less experienced or no experienced workers. That alone increases the probability of mistakes, after all we're fallible beings. Reloaders, or anyone dealing with mechanical devices should know when something is out of the ordinary. Whether that is it doesn't feel, look, or sound right.

Each and every one of you are manufacturing ammo. Some of you were sucked into it with the false idea of saving money. The rest of you do it because you have controls over the process those who buy factory ammo do not. Suppose that bullet had been loaded in a factory cartridge, somehow had chambered and was fired? We all know what the result would be. This was easily caught loading on a hand press. On high speed machinery it would not have been unless it caused a stoppage. Over the years I've seen bullets in the wrong box, cases without flash holes. Cases for the wrong cartridge, and God knows what else. The point is quality control of your finished product is up to you and no one else. Own that. Load and inspect every cartridge you make like it could be your last. You will be blessed with a great lifelong hobby that is very rewarding.

Seems to me that the ultimate QC is in the hands of the loader. The op did a great job of catching the error. I think the point here was to make others aware that they must always pay attention to the loading process. Personal responsibility is the word of the day.

Reloading safety includes such a myriad of QC steps and bullets are only a single point in the total chain of events to SAFELY load a cartridge. Recently, there was a terrible accident with primers, could it have been stopped with better "QC" of the process? One powder at a time on loading bench? One primer at a time on loading bench. One cartridge at a time on shooting bench. Primer types segregated from each other and safely distanced from powder? The number of safety steps we MUST follow each and every time are incredibly substantial. Skip one step and consequences can be severe or worse.

Good job catching the bullet! Maybe we need to insure with a QC Poka-Yoke bullet diameter check tool. Simply place bullet in required diameter hole, fits, load. Faster than a caliper and true each and every time.

Every time I see something like this, I have to pause and ask myself "What the Heck are you doing to validate your own processes?" I keep reorganizing my bench not only for housekeeping but to improve the overall safety of loading.

I appreciate these "Heads Up" and hope they keep coming! Lessons Learned are the best teachers in real world!

Having worked for a top CPG company in manufacturing / supply chain for 32yrs I would suggest contacting Berger as I would like to believe they would want to hear about this defect so they can investigate and implement corrective actions in their process. Obviously, the consequences of this kind of defect can be quite severe. 😬

Reloading safety includes such a myriad of QC steps and bullets are only a single point in the total chain of events to SAFELY load a cartridge. Recently, there was a terrible accident with primers, could it have been stopped with better "QC" of the process? One powder at a time on loading bench? One primer at a time on loading bench. One cartridge at a time on shooting bench. Primer types segregated from each other and safely distanced from powder? The number of safety steps we MUST follow each and every time are incredibly substantial. Skip one step and consequences can be severe or worse.

Good job catching the bullet! Maybe we need to insure with a QC Poka-Yoke bullet diameter check tool. Simply place bullet in required diameter hole, fits, load. Faster than a caliper and true each and every time.

Every time I see something like this, I have to pause and ask myself "What the Heck are you doing to validate your own processes?" I keep reorganizing my bench not only for housekeeping but to improve the overall safety of loading.

I appreciate these "Heads Up" and hope they keep coming! Lessons Learned are the best teachers in real world!
Here's one for you. Bought a bag of 7WSM brass. Ya Know how you are supposed to size them before loading? There were half a dozen or so 270WSM cases in that bag. Easily caught when sizing them. If I had just loaded them there would have been a dangerous headspace issue.

I worked in a medical laboratory. Everything segregated, isolated, no possibility of cross contamination, mislabeling or miss-packing.
A QC woman decided to check if the line people were doing their jobs, and checking each IV bottle and label. It was caught, she was fired.

There is the possibility that they were checking the machine(s) and the people. ANd did not do the final count of incorrect bullets.
And that is a very bad thing.

Recent Posts