Wrong Bullet in Berger Box!

I have had it happen to me 3 times throughout the years, Hornaday, Sierra and the most recent was Hammer, and it was only 1 bullet from each box of the 3. all were either smaller or larger diameters. If you don't feel it when you pick it up you will definitely know it when you go to seat it. I didn't notify any of the 3. I had other bullets of the same diameter and weight so it wasn't that big a deal to me.

Pretty hard to come down on Berger's QC. Or should I say pretty easy for those that are very removed from the process to make judgments. Lack of caring and only want your money, really? Demanding to know their process and what they are going to do to fix it to your satisfaction, really? I am sure that it is ultimately important to Berger to run mistake free. Seems to me that the ultimate QC is in the hands of the loader. The op did a great job of catching the error. I think the point here was to make others aware that they must always pay attention to the loading process. Personal responsibility is the word of the day.
Totally agree that the ultimate QC checker is the user. I spent my working career as a divisional QC director for a Fortune 500 company. QC was never designed to be 100% foolproof. Every manufacturer has the occasional slip-ups but when the percentages of failure are calculated, they are infinitesimal. In all my years of reloading, since '72, I have not had the misfortune of the issue originally stated. The only "foul-ups" I can really mention are the occasional extra projectile in a box, rare but still an issue for the manufacturer. I have a small tub that holds the extras in plastic baggies marked as to size etc., for future needs.

I have had it happen with Barns. On two occasions I found one bullet of a different weight in a box, probably the end of a 225 gr. run switching to 300 gr?

I had the same issue, a 6.5 in a box of 6mm bullets. Contacted Berger … they were very nice about it. They sent me extra bullets for my inconvenience. Life is not perfect, can easily see how in change overs a bullet can get mixed in.

I had the same issue, a 6.5 in a box of 6mm bullets. Contacted Berger … they were very nice about it. They sent me extra bullets for my inconvenience. Life is not perfect, can easily see how in change overs a bullet can get mixed in.
I wasn't even going to call Berger, but heck.........If I can get a few more bullets!

Not bullets but I once found some 20+ oddly bright green colored compound in my Federal small rifle primers in one box of a brick I bought. I mailed a picture to Federal but they let me know it was impossible because of QC.
Whatever. I discarded them, the rest worked well.

This has me wondering if some of these unexplained rifle failures could be this type of thing. Same caliber but a much larger weight bullet. Say loading 85gr and you then stuff a 105 into a warm load for the 85gr.

I wasn't even going to call Berger, but heck.........If I can get a few more bullets!
Just spoke with Berger and they were very apologetic. Apparently the only way this can happen is in the washing process and one slips through, although very rare. I had no idea the bullets were washed to remove lube. Learn something new every day.....

Just spoke with Berger and they were very apologetic. Apparently the only way this can happen is in the washing process and one slips through, although very rare. I had no idea the bullets were washed to remove lube. Learn something new every day.....
Yup they need to be washed due to lube. And then some are dried with heat and/ or cob. Berger probably doesn't do the cob.

In all my years of reloading thousands upon thousands of rounds, I have never seen this.

I was just reloading 100 rounds of 6BR and started with a brand new sealed box of 105 Hybrids. After seating bullets in 72 cases I picked the next one out of the box and started to seat it. I knew right away something was wrong so I backed off the press and the bullet stuck in the seating stem. Upon inspection it was noticeably bigger than the others. How in the world can this even happen in the manufacturing process???? How does a 6.5mm bullet get put into 6mm box at the factory?

View attachment 355635View attachment 355636
Bullet handling is automated in hoppers, vibratory feed systems, One got stuck in system, operator didn't perfectly purge between runs, didn't get cleaned out from an earlier run. **** happens even in ISO Certified manufacturing operations.

I had no idea the bullets were washed to remove lube. Learn something new every day.....
This is why A-Tips come with the Crown Royal bag, since they're packed sequentially off the press they aren't washed and the little bag is supposed to be for polishing the bullets before seating.

Also it's why I swear Sierra ships two lots in every box, they must have multiple presses running and they combine the batches at some point. I can have 0.1-1.2 gn variances between every bullet in a box, with the minor wrinkle that the variances are around two distinctly separate weights.